JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, something I predicted would happen as a result of new cell phone law came true - people are literally stopping wherever they are when the phone rings - half on the road, right in the road, in the middle of parking lots and with no regard for safety. Anyone else noticing this? I wonder if the lawmakers ever considered this when opting for a no cell phone law when driving.

Well, something I predicted would happen as a result of new cell phone law came true - people are literally stopping wherever they are when the phone rings - half on the road, right in the road, in the middle of parking lots and with no regard for safety. Anyone else noticing this? I wonder if the lawmakers ever considered this when opting for a no cell phone law when driving.

I haven't seen that, but I've seen a lot of people ignoring the law. I got one of the Plantronics Bluetooth earpieces and like it OK.

It might be I am noticing it more over here (CO) in the rural areas where it is easier to spot a parked vehicle but I'll bet there will be more than a few problems as a result of it.

I just use the speakerphone on my cell. Works just fine for me. I don't know why other people don't do this. I'd rather use the speakerphone than risk getting a fine.

I don't really understand why I can't talk on my cell and drive though. It's obvious that texting while driving should be illegal. It takes your eyes off the road. But talking while driving? Should we have a law that prohibits drivers from engaging in conversation with other passengers too? Banning eating while driving makes more sense to me. I'll go as far as dialing while driving should be illegal, but not talking. :D

I just use the speakerphone on my cell. Works just fine for me. I don't know why other people don't do this. I'd rather use the speakerphone than risk getting a fine.

I don't really understand why I can't talk on my cell and drive though. It's obvious that texting while driving should be illegal. It takes your eyes off the road. But talking while driving? Should we have a law that prohibits drivers from engaging in conversation with other passengers too? Banning eating while driving makes more sense to me. I'll go as far as dialing while driving should be illegal, but not talking. :D

Talking on the phone and driving isn't illegal as long as it is on speaker or you are using a bluetooth device.

cb

Talking on the phone and driving isn't illegal as long as it is on speaker or you are using a bluetooth device.

cb

Yes, but holding something...we'll say a banana up to your head and talking on speakerphone isn't.:s0131: So the law saves us from what? Not from talking while driving, not from holding something up to our head while driving and not even holding something to our head while talking and driving. It is a waste of a law.:(

i have not seen that happeing yet on my drive, but thanks and I will be on the look out for them.
Im looking for either an earpiece one ( like a earing aid size) I cannot stand the normal bluetooth ones.

If you have a company car the law does not apply to you as I understand it. I guess if you are conducting business while you drive it's mush safer than if you are a private citizen discussing idle chit chat.Wow our law makers are so wise.

Its one thing to hold the phone to your ear while driving, the real problem is people who dial or text-message while driving.

While I am opposed to the nanny-state mentality, the fact of the matter is that we all share the road and I have seen a huge increase in dangerous and distracted driving due to improper cell phone use over the last several years. I'm a UPS driver who is on the road 11 hrs a day, and I have had more close calls than I care to remember. I have to say that I am in favor of the new law.

I have not noticed a single person stopped on the road using a phone...and I doubt I will. That is borderline ridiculous.

I hate nanny laws too, but this is not a nanny law. It is a legitimate law seeking to prevent a very dangerous action. Mainly texting while driving. When you do not wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet you are only endangering one person...yourself. When you engage in a dangerous activity like texting and driving you are endangering every man, woman, and child on the road around you.

I hate nanny laws too, but this is not a nanny law. It is a legitimate law seeking to prevent a very dangerous action. Mainly texting while driving. When you do not wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet you are only endangering one person...yourself. When you engage in a dangerous activity like texting and driving you are endangering every man, woman, and child on the road around you.

Exactly!!

Yes, but holding something...we'll say a banana up to your head and talking on speakerphone isn't.:s0131: So the law saves us from what? Not from talking while driving, not from holding something up to our head while driving and not even holding something to our head while talking and driving. It is a waste of a law.:(

I was just going to drive around with my hand on my head, but the banana really drives the point home. :D

I know I'm a much safer driver as I fumble with my wired hands free headset.

I have not noticed a single person stopped on the road using a phone...and I doubt I will. That is borderline ridiculous.

We should ban radios in cars. They can be distracting.

No GPS's...you might take your eyes away from the road.

Speed limits are too fast, they endager things. Let's all drive 25mph.

At night, there is limited visibility. Vehicles are only allowed on the road during daylight hours.

Having other passengers in the car can be distracting. All drivers not possessing a chauffeur's license must only have a single occupant.

Extra controls in the cars can be both distracting and confusing. Automatic transmissions only.

Guns without safeties are dangerous and can hurt unskilled users. Oh wait...wrong topic....

Yes, let's all act hysterical and throw away all reason and pretend these are all the same risk as texting while driving. Let's all be in an uproar simply for the sake of hearing ourselves scream and resort to hyperbole to make a weak at best argument.

How long does it take you to press a button on your car stereo? And how long do you have to look away from the road to do it? It takes me a fraction of a second.

How long does it take you to glance at a GPS? It takes me a fraction of a second. No longer than it does to check my gauges and rearview mirror.

The roads where I drive are pretty well lit and at night I have headlights. maybe you have more difficulty seeing at night than I do.

I also have no trouble working my cars controls without looking away from the road. Maybe you have a harder time of this than I do.

If these simple actions require the same amount of time and loss of attention to your driving as texting does for the normal person then maybe you should not be driving.

We should ban radios in cars. They can be distracting.

No GPS's...you might take your eyes away from the road.

Speed limits are too fast, they endager things. Let's all drive 25mph.

At night, there is limited visibility. Vehicles are only allowed on the road during daylight hours.

Having other passengers in the car can be distracting. All drivers not possessing a chauffeur's license must only have a single occupant.

Extra controls in the cars can be both distracting and confusing. Automatic transmissions only.

Guns without safeties are dangerous and can hurt unskilled users. Oh wait...wrong topic....

Okay. You don't have to look at the display of your radio?

You don't need to type in an address and use your GPS hands free?

Or let's be like California and not have anything allowed on the dash that might obstruct viewing.

Let's all be reactionary and point fingers at something visible and ban it to make ourselves feel smug without doing much about the root of the problem (which is driver education and licensing requirements are weak in this country. And in this state I've never seen such timid drivers before. It's like they are scared behind the wheel).

:cool:

And let's remember that this is largely an unenforceable law since most texting happens below the window anyway. But I'm SURE it will do much to alleviate the fear of other drivers on the road.

I find it very interesting that I've owned a cell phone since 1998 and haven't been in a single car accident. I must be special. :D

Yes, let's all act hysterical and throw away all reason and pretend these are all the same risk as texting while driving. Let's all be in an uproar simply for the sake of hearing ourselves scream and resort to hyperbole to make a weak at best argument.

How long does it take you to press a button on your car stereo? And how long do you have to look away from the road to do it? It takes me a fraction of a second.

How long does it take you to glance at a GPS? It takes me a fraction of a second. No longer than it does to check my gauges and rearview mirror.

The roads where I drive are pretty well lit and at night I have headlights. maybe you have more difficulty seeing at night than I do.

I also have no trouble working my cars controls without looking away from the road. Maybe you have a harder time of this than I do.

If these simple actions require the same amount of time and loss of attention to your driving as texting does for the normal person then maybe you should not be driving.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top