Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Cell Phone Law

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RVTECH, Jan 11, 2010.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Well, something I predicted would happen as a result of new cell phone law came true - people are literally stopping wherever they are when the phone rings - half on the road, right in the road, in the middle of parking lots and with no regard for safety. Anyone else noticing this? I wonder if the lawmakers ever considered this when opting for a no cell phone law when driving.

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that, but I've seen a lot of people ignoring the law. I got one of the Plantronics Bluetooth earpieces and like it OK.

3. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

It might be I am noticing it more over here (CO) in the rural areas where it is easier to spot a parked vehicle but I'll bet there will be more than a few problems as a result of it.

4. wakeadrian

wakeadrian Beaverton Member

I've been seeing at least one between going to and from work every day, not even on highways.

5. EUGENE the REALTOR

EUGENE the REALTOR Portland Metro Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I just use the speakerphone on my cell. Works just fine for me. I don't know why other people don't do this. I'd rather use the speakerphone than risk getting a fine.

I don't really understand why I can't talk on my cell and drive though. It's obvious that texting while driving should be illegal. It takes your eyes off the road. But talking while driving? Should we have a law that prohibits drivers from engaging in conversation with other passengers too? Banning eating while driving makes more sense to me. I'll go as far as dialing while driving should be illegal, but not talking. :D

6. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I'm much safer now that I hit the speaker phone button and lay it on the seat next to me so I can yell at it.

7. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I think nanny-laws suck. All of em.

8. country boy

country boy portland area Member

Talking on the phone and driving isn't illegal as long as it is on speaker or you are using a bluetooth device.

cb

9. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

Yes, but holding something...we'll say a banana up to your head and talking on speakerphone isn't.:paranoid: So the law saves us from what? Not from talking while driving, not from holding something up to our head while driving and not even holding something to our head while talking and driving. It is a waste of a law.:(

10. ajf1

ajf1 beaverton Member

i have not seen that happeing yet on my drive, but thanks and I will be on the look out for them.
    Im looking for either an earpiece one ( like a earing aid size) I cannot stand the normal bluetooth ones.

11. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

If you have a company car the law does not apply to you as I understand it. I guess if you are conducting business while you drive it's mush safer than if you are a private citizen discussing idle chit chat.Wow our law makers are so wise.

12. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

Its one thing to hold the phone to your ear while driving, the real problem is people who dial or text-message while driving.

While I am opposed to the nanny-state mentality, the fact of the matter is that we all share the road and I have seen a huge increase in dangerous and distracted driving due to improper cell phone use over the last several years. I'm a UPS driver who is on the road 11 hrs a day, and I have had more close calls than I care to remember. I have to say that I am in favor of the new law.

13. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have not noticed a single person stopped on the road using a phone...and I doubt I will. That is borderline ridiculous.

I hate nanny laws too, but this is not a nanny law. It is a legitimate law seeking to prevent a very dangerous action. Mainly texting while driving. When you do not wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet you are only endangering one person...yourself. When you engage in a dangerous activity like texting and driving you are endangering every man, woman, and child on the road around you.

14. country boy

country boy portland area Member

Exactly!!

15. Intervention

Intervention NW Member

I was just going to drive around with my hand on my head, but the banana really drives the point home. :D

I know I'm a much safer driver as I fumble with my wired hands free headset.

16. NoAim

We should ban radios in cars. They can be distracting.

No GPS's...you might take your eyes away from the road.

Speed limits are too fast, they endager things. Let's all drive 25mph.

At night, there is limited visibility. Vehicles are only allowed on the road during daylight hours.

Having other passengers in the car can be distracting. All drivers not possessing a chauffeur's license must only have a single occupant.

Extra controls in the cars can be both distracting and confusing. Automatic transmissions only.

Guns without safeties are dangerous and can hurt unskilled users. Oh wait...wrong topic....

17. SlickJoeSD

SlickJoeSD Astoria, OR Member

::: Reading this post driving down the hwy on my iphone ::: haha JK

18. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Yes, let's all act hysterical and throw away all reason and pretend these are all the same risk as texting while driving. Let's all be in an uproar simply for the sake of hearing ourselves scream and resort to hyperbole to make a weak at best argument.

How long does it take you to press a button on your car stereo? And how long do you have to look away from the road to do it? It takes me a fraction of a second.

How long does it take you to glance at a GPS? It takes me a fraction of a second. No longer than it does to check my gauges and rearview mirror.

The roads where I drive are pretty well lit and at night I have headlights. maybe you have more difficulty seeing at night than I do.

I also have no trouble working my cars controls without looking away from the road. Maybe you have a harder time of this than I do.

If these simple actions require the same amount of time and loss of attention to your driving as texting does for the normal person then maybe you should not be driving.

19. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i figue when I quit seeing the fuzz do it. Then I will follow the law. Till then they can KMCBA

20. NoAim

Okay. You don't have to look at the display of your radio?

You don't need to type in an address and use your GPS hands free?

Or let's be like California and not have anything allowed on the dash that might obstruct viewing.

Let's all be reactionary and point fingers at something visible and ban it to make ourselves feel smug without doing much about the root of the problem (which is driver education and licensing requirements are weak in this country. And in this state I've never seen such timid drivers before. It's like they are scared behind the wheel).

:cool:

And let's remember that this is largely an unenforceable law since most texting happens below the window anyway. But I'm SURE it will do much to alleviate the fear of other drivers on the road.

I find it very interesting that I've owned a cell phone since 1998 and haven't been in a single car accident. I must be special. :D