JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been on the quest for a perfect CCW pistol for years now. I've got from Glocks to Sigs to 1911s and everything in between. There are a small handful of manufacturers that I haven't actually owned, and most I've tried in gun shops. I finally settled on an Officer's sized 1911 for my current carry gun, but couldn't get over how heavy it is. As a few of you know my buying/selling/trading has gotten completely out of hand trying to find "the one" only to be continually wasting time and money.

Yesterday I set out to see what I could find. I had some money in my pocket, a full tank of gas, and an understanding girlfriend that didn't mind tagging along on a 100+ mile road trip to visit 6 of my favorite gun shops. After spending most of the day playing with guns I haven't tried before and being severely disappointed, I was at the point where I thought I should just buy another Glock and make myself like it.

When we pulled into the last gun shop I saw a pistol I had heard about more than 2 years ago but had never seen.

3s9Eo.jpg

Bersa is best know for their Walther PPK clones but they also produce a model called the Thunder which is somewhat similar to the Walther P88. This pistol is a new venture for them and as far as I'm aware is their first real stand-alone design.

VyulR.jpg

The feel is very Kahr-like. The pistol itself is very slim, although a bit top heavy. In the hand it feels like a smoothed over Kahr with no sharp edges and a rubbery grip. The trigger is kind of odd, there is quite a bit of take-up with some roughness as the internal safeties are disengaged. It has a fairly light but obvious breaking point that, after a few dry fires, feels easily staged. The reset is what amazed me most about this pistol, it is VERY short and audible. I would almost go so far as to say it's better than a Glock's reset. Quick shooting should be extremely easy with this pistol.

As far as size, the pistol is quite small.

bWm5e.jpg

F9NOT.jpg

In hand it feels larger than it actually is. While being extremely thin, it's large enough to get a good solid thumbs-forward grip. It's hard to describe; this pistol feels like it was made for my hands. All the bumps and grooves fit right where my fingers go with my normal grip, something I haven't found before on any pistol.

Speaking of thin, this thing makes a compact 1911 look like a Glock 21.

1Po2e.jpg

D7gXK.jpg

As far as accessories go, holsters are few and far between at the moment. I've read that Kahr CW9 holsters will fit but haven't tested this theory out myself yet. Further reading has also shown me that Bersa uses a Sig front sight and a Glock rear sight, so night sights will be easy to come by. I'm not sure why the company decided to go that route, but it's what I'm told.

I still have a lot of evaluating to do myself, but it sounds like the pistol will be a very solid performer. In hand it feels like a Kahr with a Glock trigger. If it shoots as well as it feels I'm sold.

I think almost Bersa's whole line is called the "Thunder" this-or-that now. I have a Thunder 380CC and love it.

I see the BPCC is 8+1, which must make it a single-stack, explaining its thinness. I agree with you that the thickness makes the biggest difference for ccw.

But I don't like DAO - I'm just not accurate with one. Besides, isn't it sacrilege to switch from a 1911 to a 9mm?:p

I still have, and still am, carrying the 1911 till this Bersa proves itself. I doubt I'll be switching anytime soon as I'd like to get at least 1k through this little gun before really passing judgement.

Not thrilled with the key lock on the slide - but otherwise looks like a decent pistol. I'm guessing that like just about all other Bersa's - it only came with one mag? That's the only thing that kept me from buying the sub compact Thunder 9 or Thunder .45 before. Guns were inexpensive and reliable enough - but back then Bersa mags cost more than factory Sig mags, and it was a deal breaker for me.

The Gunbroker in Woodburn had this one. The salesman said he got 2 in and a local Bersa collector snagged the first one. It came with 2 mags and unfortunately they are priced at $50 right now. The first outing was really a mixed bag as after 75 rounds it started ejecting very erratically and had multiple failures. Posting on Bersachat.com I was told it's because I didn't clean the pistol at all before shooting. A thorough cleaning is in order before the next range trip and I'll see how far it gets.

The Gunbroker in Woodburn had this one. The salesman said he got 2 in and a local Bersa collector snagged the first one. It came with 2 mags and unfortunately they are priced at $50 right now. The first outing was really a mixed bag as after 75 rounds it started ejecting very erratically and had multiple failures. Posting on Bersachat.com I was told it's because I didn't clean the pistol at all before shooting. A thorough cleaning is in order before the next range trip and I'll see how far it gets.

I won't hold any sort of failures in the first few hundred rounds against any gun except Glocks - since I've never had a Glock that malf'd with less than a couple thousand rounds down the pipe, or unless I did something stupid (like limp wristing, or failing to seat a magazine all the way).

I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder 380 because it's one of the few guns she liked as far as trigger + gripability for her. As slim and slick looking as this new gun is - it'd be a nice step up from the 380 to 9mm Para. The overall appearance of the gun is very Glock/XDish which isn't bad either.

If I get my hands on a sample I'd probably crank out a few kydex holsters for it to sell also, since new guns almost never have holsters in the pipeline.

Well I stripped the slide as far as I could, still not quite sure how to pull the extractor out though. I bought some polymer safe GunScrubber and went to down on the extractor, slide, and frame. Quite a bit of brown garbage came out, almost similar to cosmoline but not as thick. Afterwards I oiled everything like normal and the pistol feeds by hand a lot smoother now. I haven't shot it yet, but extraction seems to be about as good as it was the first 50 rounds. I plan on going out Friday and running another 200 rounds through it. Hopefully the problems have worked themselves out and I'll be back posting a success.

Well they are nice little pistols especially at the price point, and I'm certainly not knocking them; but they seem like an odd gun to collect. Now Pokemon cards I understand. Who doesn't love little Japanimated turtle cat beavers? Manbearpig?

I would like to know though, who was responsible for the rear slide cover to frame fit on this particular model..?

Today I went out and took the little Bersa shooting again. This time I only had a handful of problems, none of which I believe to be the pistol's fault. I was shooting 115gr TulAmmo (I believe the same company as Wolf) and had maybe 10 failure to fires in the 150 rounds that I shot. All of the rounds had a good solid primer strike and when chambered a second time the rounds fired just fine. I had no failures to fire with the Remington, Winchester, Magtech, or American Eagle so I'm fairly certain it's an ammo issue and not a problem with the gun. Next week I plan on buying some brass cased Federal to see if I can replicate the problem, but I don't believe it will have any issues. There was some weak extraction when I wasn't holding the pistol tightly, but it did not cause any failures the cases just didn't eject as far as when I held the pistol in a normal tight grip.

All in all I'm pretty impressed with this pistol and once I pass the 500-1k round mark I think it will become my main carry gun. Even with the cheapest ammo I can find the pistol still shot to point of aim and I was able to hit shogun hulls at 10-12 yards.

I was one of those who didn't have a clue on Bersa's guns, till my old man picked up the .380. Bersa barely advertises, so for all I knew I was looking at a $250 gun that wasn't a C&R, or Model 10.

It was a bit quirky for the first 200 rounds or so, flawless since. He was gifted a Crimson Trace that works as it should. Keep at it, early on the Thunder refused to feed S&B, no such picky tastes now it seems.

They don't have the best external finish, but each of the ones I've held have been fairly well fit, generally good triggers.

I actually have a .22 on order to test out. My eldest is moving on to pistols, and while I'd normally go with a single action .22, the Bersa is a DA/SA with a decent de-cocker, and a view of the schematic in the Owner's manual shows it to be nearly identical in construction to the .32 and .380 models.

I've had more of an eye for the .45 ACP UC version for myself however, the LGS sold the one that came in when I lacked the cash for it.

I have a 9mm uc pro and love it.
I buy bulk reloaded ammo and have had no issues so far ..they are a good pistol.

They say he's gone postal
Life member of
Oregon Hunters Association
National Rifle Association
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR