JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every year all of us guys with kids try to get away and do a off grid camping trip without the wives or kids. Only problem is that this year our usual spot is closed to the public due to fires (off 46 near Olallie lake). So I'm in search of another spot within a few hours of Salem. No designated campgrounds and preferably near water. Any ideas you might be willing to share?
Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put your secret spot out there for everyone.

Elk lake is cool (campsites suck but its beautiful), quite a few spots along the Breitenbush river but its fairly close to the road, lots of places along the Metolius (up the hill past the lower bridge quite a few sites along really cool medium sized creeks).

I'll have to look into elk lake. Maybe I can find a spot out of the camp grounds. Breitenbush is closed off to the public I believe. And I was hearing fires were starting up again in southern/eastern oregon.

It's time to take a drive.
Some of my favorite places have been found that way.

As a word of warning the woods are crawling with people now. So your super duper secret spot that you are hoping for is probably going to require a 10 mile hike while brush busting.

A lot of areas east of you were badly burned by last years fire. I was talking about Blue River reservoir to a friend that's lives in your are. He stated it's not really there anymore after last years fire. That little reservoir was beautiful!

Yesterday we went to Foster Lake/Green Peter Reservoir, there were a lot of people on the water ; and it was pretty nice swimming in there. Last time we went to Sisters; Suttle Lake seemed full of water but it is very expensive to lodge there; not sure of the Caldera area. Have not been to the High Lakes or Gordon Lake areas so I can't tell. I do know that one of the forks of Santiam River goes along Highway 20 near Cascadia if you're up for mountain cold waters but its not the same as lakes. A friend informed me that the Detroit Lake area is pretty much gone from the wildfires last year and the water level there is too low

Yesterday we went to Foster Lake/Green Peter Reservoir, there were a lot of people on the water ; and it was pretty nice swimming in there. Last time we went to Sisters; Suttle Lake seemed full of water but it is very expensive to lodge there; not sure of the Caldera area. Have not been to the High Lakes or Gordon Lake areas so I can't tell. I do know that one of the forks of Santiam River goes along Highway 20 near Cascadia if you're up for mountain cold waters but its not the same as lakes. A friend informed me that the Detroit Lake area is pretty much gone from the wildfires last year and the water level there is too low
The Detroit Lake area is where I grew up exploring the forest, swimming in the ice cold rivers... I wonder what it looks like now.

-Robert

I just got back from the Eagle Cap wilderness Friday. If you really want seclusion, you have to hoof it (and stay away from the lakes basin).

IMG_20210708_103722.jpg

Swamp lake
IMG_20210707_094539.jpg

Slimmer - I was up there last month, and hiked up to Ice Lake. Couldn't make the Matterhorn yet, too much snow.

RoyMill - Highway 140 between Medford and Klamath Falls maybe? Some place like Fourmile Lake.

Ok it's a little more than a little bit out for you but…

Wildhorse lake?

273FCFED-A505-4F5A-A4F1-2FDC60D45C1D.jpeg

It's at the top of the Steens. The drive is 26 miles of glorious washboard (one way) but it's worth it.

I was there too, out on the new (to us) boat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top