Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Cabela's location!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aaron, May 5, 2010.

1. aaron

aaron Prineville OR Member

I just noticed on the front page of the paper they are putting a Cabelas at Gateway mall in Springfield:thumbup: I am pretty stoked about that! For a long time they have talked about putting one in Oregon, but this is the first solid evidence that they are doing that!

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Hope this news is true

jj

3. billc

billc Albany Member

4. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Sure would be nice if it was closer to the Portland Metro area.

5. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I hate to break it but the Metro area is not the center of the universe. makes alot more sence to put it in the Eugene are so people from places Bend, Roseburg, and Medford. can shop there too.

6. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

This is awesome!

Thankfully it's close to home.
    Portland area peoples can suffer with the drive. We've had to suffer the same drive to visit a number of stores in Portland for years.

7. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

It's the center of my universe. Well the southwestern center. :D

Considering the mileage my vehicles get it's still cheaper to order online than to drive to one of their stores.

8. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Thats what I say every time some poor soul has to drive his wife to Ikea

9. Graffin

Graffin Oregon Member

Oh, man. I can already tell that having one so close is going to get expensive. Spring of 2011, though? that sucks.

10. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

The store is 58,000 square feet which is less than half the size of the Cabela's I've been to. It does have a lot of the nice features like the gun gallery, fly shop and bargain room. Curious to see what it looks like.

11. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

Its going where the old Emporium was right? Kind of sucks its going to be small. The one up in WA is fun to hit up but its a 3.5 hr drive.

12. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

35 minute drive :thumbup:

Sales tax :(

SF-

13. aaron

aaron Prineville OR Member

Come to the one in Eugene...
    Longer ride:(
    No sales tax:thumbup:

14. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I think that when the cashier asks you for your zip code, they are compiling data on how far people are willing to travel to get to their store. They must have figured out that enough Portlanders make the trip to Olympia (and pay sales tax), so they are willing drive 100 miles in the other direction and not pay sales tax. Oh well.

So Portlanders, here's an idea to get a Portland store faster...when asked for your zip code, give them the one where you are at the moment...the one for the store.

15. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

Yeah but being from OR you dont pay sales tax when you shop at the Lacey store. Everytime they have asked if I was from OR. I showed them my ID, they write the info down in the lil binder thing and no sales tax was charged.

16. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Correct. That applies to people on the Washington state side of the metro area.

17. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

We make a day of it, the store itself is like . . . More of an internment center than a regular old store.

18. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

The wife is a good sport for the first hour or two then for the next couple of hours she gets a lil testy sometimes lol. I am one of those guys that likes touching everything and checking everything out. Except at the shooting gallery she did better than me so she was gloating at that for awhile...

19. bardahl

bardahl SW Wa. Member

Springfield ?? WTH?, why?

20. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of market research information and expert manipulation of GIS data, all boiling down to "it's in a central location and there aren't any real competitors around here."

They probably have a good idea how many items from each product category they carry will be sold to every census tract within fifty miles or more.