JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is this an electrical short? What is it? Previous tenant never complained of such an issue. House wiring is NOT knob and tube. For what it's worth, the house I live in also does this sometimes. At least recently with some of the bulbs I replaced a few months ago. No complaints from previous tenant about this.

New tenant said it was a 9.5 watt LED bulb when I asked type and wattage. There was an LED bulb in there previously he claimed but it wasn't lighting up. He tried it in another socket and it worked. He said he put an incandescent bulb in the bathroom and it just burned out. He put a fluorescent bulb in there and it flickered then turned off.
I could have sworn when I was there a few days ago the light was working fine, I had all the lights one when I was doing a walkthrough, no issues.

1- switches do wear out.... try replacing it (costs around a buck)*
2- if its a dimmer switch, you'll probably need to change it* to an LED compatible one ($15-20) and also make sure your LED bulb is "dimmable".
3- it could be the contacts inside the socket are just bent, and not making, well, contact. bend them gently back to the original position.*

* (and for gosh sakes, turn off the power first) :eek:

Last Edited:
Sounds like a listening device might be planted within the wiring. Shh, don't talk about our plans in that room...

Funny story, when this unit was turning over, one person contacted me trying to apply, offering to pay me extra so they could grow weed in there. Said they would take care of the wiring to the breaker, etc. That dude is still out there somewhere searching I'm sure....:rolleyes:

Could be a faulty panel. I had a panel that rotted away one of the hot legs, and it would do weird shorting behavior. One day I was outside, and heard a little bizz bizzt sound, coming from the panel. Turned all the incoming power off, and replaced it in about 3 hours.

Could be a faulty panel. I had a panel that rotted away one of the hot legs, and it would do weird shorting behavior. One day I was outside, and heard a little bizz bizzt sound, coming from the panel. Turned all the incoming power off, and replaced it in about 3 hours.
It could be a bad breaker .

I was also thinking circuit breaker, since the hallway lights also flickered along with the bathroom light.
If they are on the same circuit, that would explain that occurrence pretty handily...

As others have mentioned, I installed a non-dimmable LED in a dimmer circuit and got similar symptoms. Also, as another possibility, the wiring in the actual light fixture could be loose. As you twist the bulbs in and out, it makes & breaks contact. If there is a shared return line that runs through the fixture, it would affect other lights as well. Good luck and let us know what you figure out. :)

Is this an electrical short? What is it? Previous tenant never complained of such an issue. House wiring is NOT knob and tube. For what it's worth, the house I live in also does this sometimes. At least recently with some of the bulbs I replaced a few months ago. No complaints from previous tenant about this.

New tenant said it was a 9.5 watt LED bulb when I asked type and wattage. There was an LED bulb in there previously he claimed but it wasn't lighting up. He tried it in another socket and it worked. He said he put an incandescent bulb in the bathroom and it just burned out. He put a fluorescent bulb in there and it flickered then turned off.
I could have sworn when I was there a few days ago the light was working fine, I had all the lights one when I was doing a walkthrough, no issues.

LED Bulbs will flicker if they are not getting enough power. From what I gathered a while back, especially if they are on a dimmer, they will flicker because the conversion from AC to DC even if all night long, the improper input leads in incorrect output.

With the failure of the incan and flourscent bulb, you have more issues than improper voltage. Could have a failing switch as mentioned above that's cutting the curve too far and causing the filament or the converter inside the LED/Floures to overwork and burn out prematurely.

Yeah, you gots more than a bulb issue buddy. Sorry. Sounds like if they are all on the same circuit it could be worth checking the breaker that feeds that line. Maybe run a vacuum and see how hot that breaker gets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top