JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like a loose connection. Common practice for lights to be wired 'downstream' of receptacles. Most likely suspect in residential
wiring is the 'stab lock' receptacle connection. The neutral or hot connection could be loose at the receptacle. If you remove or replace
a receptacle 'Pigtail" the connection to the receptacle as is done in commercial wiring. The current for the entire circuit downstream
will not depend on the receptacle 'stab lock' connections. Retired electrician.
View attachment 681755
Loose wires also cause miniature arcs that will heat up and can cause a fire.

Some times when jim bob re wires a house from knob and tube back in the day they did funny things, changing the switch out is first, ive seen them pull power from the bathroom plug (gfi) for bath lights and these wear out if the gfi has been popped alot, could be a loose wire nut in the fixture box for the light ( hall lights could also be scavenged off the same line), or a breaker thats wearing out in the main panel.

Over 40 plus years in custom remodeling, I have seen about every which way somebody with no clue screw up household wiring.
Last summer I was removing a second story vinyl sliding glass door to a deck that some knucklehead had messed up installing years before.
The guy had cut out a picture window and sawed down to the bottom plate and didn't think about the plug wires running in the wall below.
He fixed his mistake by using bell wire that he must have had in his truck, and then ran it overhead the slider and back down tying into the old wire on the opposite side and then tucking the repair back into the old 1/2" drilled stud hole.
I thought it was some old doorbell wire and when I used my best wire cutters to cut through it, the dang thing blew up in my face and ruined the cutter.
The homeowner said that every time he tried to plug something in that wall plug, it would blow the circuit breaker.

Troubleshooting 101: I made a single change and got an unexpected result...

What happens when you unscrew the replacement bulb?
What happens when you replace the new bulb with a known working bulb?
What happens when you put the new bulb in a different area.
Does the problem follow the new bulb or does it follow the bathroom fixture?

If it follows the bulb, then use a different one.

If it follows the fixture then it could be switches, fixture, or wiring as others have pointed out, Before you start swapping parts out or hire an electrician make sure it's not something simple like a defective bulb.

LED bulbs are not a glorified piece of wire in a vacuum like an incandescent bulb.

LEDs run on DC and your house wiring provides AC. In the base of an LED bulb is an AC to DC converter, and this is where 90% of the heat and energy is used and 100% of problems happen. They use the cheapest single chip device they possibly can. A bad DC converter chip could also cause the other lights on the same circuit to flicker.

I was called out to examine a cheap rental house electrical problem. The wind was blowing hard and as the overhead power wires were moving, the wiring inside the house was doing some weird stuff.
If you turned on the hallway light, the bathroom fan would start to run. When you turned on the oven, the TV blew up. The fridge died and needed to be replaced.
I called an electrician friend and he said that more then likely the neutral wire at the meter mast was loose and that I needed to get on the roof and tighten the bare support wire going back to the pole.
Seems that the house didn't have a ground rod and was using the cold water pipe as the ground. Somebody installed some plastic pipe and when the meter mast neutral came loose one of the 120v panel legs would use the second leg to run back to the pole.
All it took was a few turns of a monkey wrench to fix, but it was a weird feeling standing on the roof and wrenching the clamp wondering if I would become the ground.

Last Edited:
Troubleshooting 101: I made a single change and got an unexpected result...

What happens when you unscrew the replacement bulb?
What happens when you replace the new bulb with a known working bulb?
What happens when you put the new bulb in a different area.
Does the problem follow the new bulb or does it follow the bathroom fixture?

If it follows the bulb, then use a different one.

If it follows the fixture then it could be switches, fixture, or wiring as others have pointed out, Before you start swapping parts out or hire an electrician make sure it's not something simple like a defective bulb.

LED bulbs are not a glorified piece of wire in a vacuum like an incandescent bulb.

LEDs run on DC and your house wiring provides AC. In the base of an LED bulb is an AC to DC converter, and this is where 90% of the heat and energy is used and 100% of problems happen. They use the cheapest single chip device they possibly can. A bad DC converter chip could also cause the other lights on the same circuit to flicker.

Nice! I've fixed a lot of stuff with this technique, most recently a quad taillight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top