JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Knife was bought from buck it is one of their limited addition only 750 made knifes, no question about it being a real buck knife.
Yikes! Then absolutely no doubt... return it if not completely satisfied. For that kind of money it's completely unacceptable and probably shouldn't have messed with it at all.

There will be another "eclusive, only 750 made" again next month, anyway. ;)

Knife was bought from buck it is one of their limited addition only 750 made knifes, no question about it being a real buck knife.
Hello,

Wow! What a shame.

So it was special ordered NIB from the factory/store in Idaho and it was not a second or a reject!

Again, I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.

I would ask for a FULL REFUND unless you CHOOSE to try another NIB special order knife from them in the EXACT same style and SPECIAL RUN or IF you CHOOSE to get another knife from them for the EXACT same MONEY spent on the MESSED UP KNIFE that you have now.

If the BUCK KNIFE COMPANY, factory and STORE in Idaho is willing to HELP YOU in any way, I would still give them a chance to FIX your problem, solve the issue at hand and what YOU choose to do to make your money spent on a MESSED UP KNIFE purchase RIGHT no matter what your FINAL DECISION is.

But that final decision is up to YOU not me so please do not take me wrong with my advice to you. I would find the product unacceptable and it would be like throwing MY money into a lit fireplace and seeing it burn up.

Best wishes to you. Take care.

Sincerely,

Catherine

Side note since this was mentioned:

Regarding sending something back to be fixed or repaired, if an ITEM has HISTORY and memories = sentimental value no matter what the item is worth money wise - I would NOT want an old, cherished or special item LOST in the mail or with another carrier and/or not returned to me by the company. Knife company or not. This works with any type of item.

And even if you specified that you want the ORIGINAL old family thing sent back to you with one thing FIXED on it - there is NO way that it will be absolutely honored, in this day and age, especially with OLDER and treasured items including HISTORICAL items that may have significant meaning.

I would KEEP the item and never send it in to be fixed or repaired. I would leave it alone. And if I wanted another thing, knife or something else, I would just get one like the old one IF possible and set the TREASURED ITEM aside. Especially if some of you want to PASS IT ON and if it has a real family history to it.

In the case of the BUCK KNIFE that the original poster mentioned... that was a brand new item - NIB and a special run. IT had NO history to it other than being a MESSED UP KNIFE from the gitgo.

That is how I see it and I mean NO offense to any person here.

I had some OLDER ITEMS that I personally passed on from knives to you name it in my lifetime. The ones that MEANT a lot to me were kept and the ones that my loved ones, family, friends, etc. liked and would use were passed on.

Some things were gifted to Veterans, charities, etc. Some things were sold.

IT depended on the item too.

I am sorry that the one other poster LOST a treasured item that he sent in for repair that meant a lot to him by the one other company too.

Old Lady Cate

I just got one of the Buck limited 119's with red micarta handles and s35vn steel blade, first off the grind on the edge was very miss matched one side showing twice the bevel as the other, I was able to regrind the bevel with my edgepro. next the micarta handle was only polished on the sides top and bottom rough and dull, I will fix this also.
I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them and I did they wanted me to send the knife back so they could look at it I declined the offer as I can fix the problems myself and I don't trust them.
I bought one of their custom 103 skinners with rose wood handle and D2 steel a while back and it is a very nice knive but with the 119 costing twice as much I was expecting better from them. View attachment 1246983
Calls and emails accomplish some amazing things. Why "fix" a knife that you will hate as long as you own it? Might as well take it boating. My advice is to immediately contact the manufacturer when you receive something out of spec.

For years Bucks logo was a bolt on an anvil and a buck knife being used as a cold chisel to cut the steel bolt. The change in steel and the change in the edge angle happened about the time they changed the logo. It's not the same product. DR
...and I might surmise this could all occur about the same time the Bible verse went out the window.

Well actually yeah somewhat. It throws up a huge red flag when I see very lop sided positive reviews. One such example is Larue. By in large almost every product they sell gets seemingly 99% 5 star reviews. Statistically I find that kind dubious, but if it weren't the fact that I have bought enough stuff from them and dealt with their customer service dept. To know that it is in fact one of the 99% top companies I would want to buy from. I don't think I've had a single product of theirs I haven't fell in love with.
But generally yeah. I Luke to see some bad reviews. Unfortunately we do live Ina day an age where people will pay good money to not farms to sully a good name/product.

That and I've burned enough times from amazon to not really trust those reviews any more. I'd much rather have personal recommendations.
You don't trust scAmazon? WhyEVER not? SAD to hear that Buck is no longer the Buck we knew and trusted back in the day. Have they sold out to red China, or what???

I just got one of the Buck limited 119's with red micarta handles and s35vn steel blade, first off the grind on the edge was very miss matched one side showing twice the bevel as the other, I was able to regrind the bevel with my edgepro. next the micarta handle was only polished on the sides top and bottom rough and dull, I will fix this also.

I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them and I did they wanted me to send the knife back so they could look at it I declined the offer as I can fix the problems myself and I don't trust them.
I bought one of their custom 103 skinners with rose wood handle and D2 steel a while back and it is a very nice knive but with the 119 costing twice as much I was expecting better from them. View attachment 1246983
I think you've been duped. The 119 Special does not come with a micarta handle. It is rosewood, and it is very distinctively WOOD. Nobody could mistake it for micarta. I know because I own one. And looking at the official Buck web page, the only "phenolic" handle is on the generic 119 and it is black. It sounds like you got a Chinese knockoff. Where did you buy it? If not from the Buck's home page then you got taken. Send it in like they requested.

CORRECTION: Searching for the stock number shown on the Sportsman's Warehouse page I found a 119 Special Pro with a micarta handle.

It's still very possible that you got a knockoff instead of a Buck unless you ordered directly from Buck on their web page.

I carried a Buck 110 in my pocket for 40 years. I recently lost it and waited 30 days before ordering a new one in the hopes my old one would turn up. The new 110 arrived the other day, and other than a slightly softer back spring, I can't tell any difference, aside from 40 years of wear. The old one had been used in emergencies as a hammer, hatchet, screwdriver, and pry bar. It had gouges in the handle from being run over by my truck on a gravel road, and the tip had been broken and reground, but it survived all of that. That said, I would rather have found the old one than bought a new one for sentimental reasons. Although the new one is perfect as far as fit and finish, it has no imperfections that remind me of days gone by.

15 years ago I gave both sons a Buck 110 upon their earning their whittling chip in scouts. One of them was using it to split firewood and managed to actually break it. I wrote to Buck asking what they could do to fix it and offering to pay for repairs. They said send it in. It came back to us in about 10 days good as new at no charge, and there was a 40% discount coupon for new Buck products included in the box.

A note on counterfeits: My wife is a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician who works for a large hospital fitting car seats to newborns as they are discharged. Typically, new parents buy or are gifted a new or used car seat somewhere along the way before the baby arrives. My wife teaches the new parents car seat installation and use before they are discharged, and also does tests to make sure the baby is well developed enough to to be able to breathe adequately once it's buckled in.

In the course of teaching the new parents how to install the car seat correctly she inspects the seat before use. She finds counterfeits and illegal, non-certified seats pretty regularly. There's no law against selling such items and there's little recourse when the seller is in China. All this is to say that counterfeits are pretty common and not rare as one would maybe expect.

Last Edited:
History and fond memories wanted all the mars and nicks on the handle I had given it so was taken aback when i complained and was told it was gone forever. they even seem a little indignant I was not pleased with the NEW knife.

Exactly my feelings about my lost 40 year old Buck 110. The new one has no memories attached to it.

This thread is ripe with possibilities for discussion. But I will try to refrain from writing my usual "book."

I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them
What good are reviews that are massaged or "managed?" The entire purpose of reviews is to share customer experience, good bad or indifferent. They are useless in so many case and very often not to be trusted.

I look at Facebook once a year, to reply to birthday greetings in a polite way. While there recently, I found FB posts that appeared to be "real" but were in fact cleverly designed advertisements. In one case, for a defective and useless product that I was personally familiar with. It was so obviously badly designed and made, only a blind person wouldn't pick up on it. Yet this bogus FB post was complete with over 200 follow-on comments, in the style of reviews, as they were all praising this obviously bogus product.

Lately, I've been looking at products on a certain website. They were using the five star system. I often go straight to the bad and look at one star reviews. This site wouldn't let me focus on the one stars, it wanted me to scroll through every review. I could focus on four stars, or three stars and pull only those up, but it was shielding me from the one stars.

Ebay reviews, don't get me started. Some of the mass merchandisers have sweetheart deals with ebay management, they are protected against bad reviews in a number of ways. It's downright crooked, but ebay doesn't want to offend big accounts. Yet it's no secret, you can read many posts about this via Google.

Even the local newspaper is bent. They sell full page ads to firms selling way, way, overpriced, highly hyped silver coins. There are downright lies in the ad copy, yet the newspaper takes the ads week after week. An industry in trouble isn't going to turn down ad revenue no matter how crooked.

I own more than a few Buck knives, they are generally overpriced turds when you look at the current stuff, their old stuff was good for the time period but with modern makers using better steel and higher quality materials it doesn't make sense to buy a new buck knife. Heck the QSP Penguins I buy have better edge sharpness and retention than my Buck Knives. American made is no longer a hallmark of quality. I was disappointed enough in my last Buck knife that I won't buy another. If I want expensive made in the USA knives I always go Benchmade or Spyderco, expensive but well worth it when it comes to fit and finish and materials used. Even Gerber pumps out better made in Taiwan knives than Buck makes made in America knives. A brand is only as good as the product, brand loyalty is not relevant anymore, heck look at Case knives, they used to be great working knives, now they are just collection fodder.

I own more than a few Buck knives, they are generally overpriced turds when you look at the current stuff, their old stuff was good for the time period but with modern makers using better steel and higher quality materials it doesn't make sense to buy a new buck knife. Heck the QSP Penguins I buy have better edge sharpness and retention than my Buck Knives. American made is no longer a hallmark of quality. I was disappointed enough in my last Buck knife that I won't buy another. If I want expensive made in the USA knives I always go Benchmade or Spyderco, expensive but well worth it when it comes to fit and finish and materials used. Even Gerber pumps out better made in Taiwan knives than Buck makes made in America knives. A brand is only as good as the product, brand loyalty is not relevant anymore, heck look at Case knives, they used to be great working knives, now they are just collection fodder.
I confess, I cannot help myself, I am a knife-oholic... That has been my own experience, too. I've been thru some Buck knives in my time. Since the mid-'80's Ive been a Cold Steel fan (mostly, not entirely). Cold Steel while not USA-made has left many older knife-makers choking in the Dusts of Time.
Curious how modern users feel about the latter-day KaBar knives? I carried one BITD, when BITD was for keeps. Traded it in on a Buck 120 in '73, regretted it years later (not that the Buck 120 failed in any respect), and so replaced it with an older pre-bankruptcy Camillus USMC-type that cost me out the yin-yang... But the CS knives are still my go-to's... Got a couple old Gerbers "Made In USA" that I use too...

Last Edited:
"The old one had been used in emergencies as a hammer, hatchet, screwdriver, and pry bar. It had gouges in the handle from being run over by my truck on a gravel road, and the tip had been broken and reground, but it survived all of that."

This one likewise was for all intents and purposes surgically attached to my hip for decades, and was used for a sight drifter, battery terminal loosener, pry bar, steel band cutter and most frequently as a beer bottle opener. It survived ten years in an iron yard where I worked, lost its tip, was re-ground and soldiered on.
1658963637403.jpeg

What finally delivered its demise was a '75 Maverick that had a sticking choke butterfly. The car would flood itself regularly, and the cure was to pop the hood, open the butterfly, shove the Number One Ten into the throat to hold it open. I got in a hurry, distracted, or perhaps had a few beers (opened by the Buck, of course), and slammed the hood down before pulling the knife and replacing the air cleaner. Dented hood, broken Buck, butterfly never stuck again.

I shipped it to Buck, explaining my fault and its sentimental value, begging them to repair it if at all possible, and to return it if not. They returned it along with a brand new one.

Bur that was 35 years ago.

"The old one had been used in emergencies as a hammer, hatchet, screwdriver, and pry bar. It had gouges in the handle from being run over by my truck on a gravel road, and the tip had been broken and reground, but it survived all of that."

This one likewise was for all intents and purposes surgically attached to my hip for decades, and was used for a sight drifter, battery terminal loosener, pry bar, steel band cutter and most frequently as a beer bottle opener. It survived ten years in an iron yard where I worked, lost its tip, was re-ground and soldiered on.
View attachment 1247918

What finally delivered its demise was a '75 Maverick that had a sticking choke butterfly. The car would flood itself regularly, and the cure was to pop the hood, open the butterfly, shove the Number One Ten into the throat to hold it open. I got in a hurry, distracted, or perhaps had a few beers (opened by the Buck, of course), and slammed the hood down before pulling the knife and replacing the air cleaner. Dented hood, broken Buck, butterfly never stuck again.

I shipped it to Buck, explaining my fault and its sentimental value, begging them to repair it if at all possible, and to return it if not. They returned it along with a brand new one.

Bur that was 35 years ago.
That's about what mine looked like, except for the turned boss.

This thread is ripe with possibilities for discussion. But I will try to refrain from writing my usual "book."

What good are reviews that are massaged or "managed?" The entire purpose of reviews is to share customer experience, good bad or indifferent. They are useless in so many case and very often not to be trusted.

I look at Facebook once a year, to reply to birthday greetings in a polite way. While there recently, I found FB posts that appeared to be "real" but were in fact cleverly designed advertisements. In one case, for a defective and useless product that I was personally familiar with. It was so obviously badly designed and made, only a blind person wouldn't pick up on it. Yet this bogus FB post was complete with over 200 follow-on comments, in the style of reviews, as they were all praising this obviously bogus product.

Lately, I've been looking at products on a certain website. They were using the five star system. I often go straight to the bad and look at one star reviews. This site wouldn't let me focus on the one stars, it wanted me to scroll through every review. I could focus on four stars, or three stars and pull only those up, but it was shielding me from the one stars.

Ebay reviews, don't get me started. Some of the mass merchandisers have sweetheart deals with ebay management, they are protected against bad reviews in a number of ways. It's downright crooked, but ebay doesn't want to offend big accounts. Yet it's no secret, you can read many posts about this via Google.

Even the local newspaper is bent. They sell full page ads to firms selling way, way, overpriced, highly hyped silver coins. There are downright lies in the ad copy, yet the newspaper takes the ads week after week. An industry in trouble isn't going to turn down ad revenue no matter how crooked.

If it was your product that someone was complaining about, and you strongly suspected it was a counterfeit that the review was based on, would you let the review stand without examining the knife yourself to see if it was indeed your product or a knockoff? I don't blame them a bit.

If it was your product that someone was complaining about, and you strongly suspected it was a counterfeit that the review was based on, would you let the review stand without examining the knife yourself to see if it was indeed your product or a knockoff? I don't blame them a bit.
That being the case, how are we to know if legitimate but unfavorable reviews ever make it to the public eye? A manufacture could simply claim all unfavorable reviews were bogus. I will admit there is risk of falsehood both ways, but in my own experience, it is way slanted in the direction favorable to the seller. It's well known that mass marketers in certain Asian countries pad their reviews with hundreds of bogus, favorable reviews. Each one from a different IP address. Providing fake reviews for hire there is just another business.

The knife was bought from the factory, Buck has my order on file and I'm what they call a verified buyer there was never any doubt about who made the knife.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top