JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got one of the Buck limited 119's with red micarta handles and s35vn steel blade, first off the grind on the edge was very miss matched one side showing twice the bevel as the other, I was able to regrind the bevel with my edgepro. next the micarta handle was only polished on the sides top and bottom rough and dull, I will fix this also.
I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them and I did they wanted me to send the knife back so they could look at it I declined their offer as I can fix the problems myself and I don't trust them.
I bought one of their custom 103 skinners with rose wood handle and D2 steel a while back and it is a very nice knive but with the 119 costing twice as much I was expecting better from them. ncLWvt4.jpg

Last Edited:
I just got one of the Buck limited 119's with red micarta handles and s35vn steel blade, first off the grind on the edge was very miss matched one side showing twice the bevel as the other, I was able to regrind the bevel with my edgepro. next the micarta handle was only polished on the sides top and bottom rough and dull, I will fix this also.
I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them and I did they wanted me to send the knife back so they could look at it I declined the offer as I can fix the problems myself and I don't trust them.
I bought one of their custom 103 skinners with rose wood handle and D2 steel a while back and it is a very nice knive but with the 119 costing twice as much I was expecting better from them. View attachment 1246983
Hello,

I do not own this specific knife and I have not bought a BUCK (Idaho) or KA-BAR (New York) knife recently.

(I do own several older BUCK 119 Special knives though.)

Did you call BUCK in Idaho?

The 800 number is on the bottom of the above LINK.

Don't try to FIX the brand NEW KNIFE! It may screw up your warranty especially with the HANDLE not just the blade. You should NOT have to FIX a brand new knife!

You should have returned or sent this BUCK KNIFE back to the store or Buck shop in Idaho if you ordered it from them (?) or where it came from the gitgo.

They should HONOR their product's QUALITY and the BUCK name brand, special order or even a plain Joe/Jane knife, and they always did this in the PAST.

I NEVER had to send any item in to them (Buck.) or had a lousy knife from them or in any of my other name brand - quality made knives.

I am sorry that you have issues with your knife.

CALL them and see if they will send you a package or FREE MAIL deal to make your knife a good one or maybe they will just REPLACE (?) the entire knife.

Either way... the KNIFE IS NOT UP TO THEIR NAME BRAND or standards! IT should not have passed ANY quality control inspection.

Did BUCK say it was a REJECT or a 'second' SCREW UP in any ORDER FORM?

The 800 number is ON the link above as I stated. They will make it right!

Best wishes to you.

ADDED more here.

DANG IT! I screwed up.

I just reread what you wrote.

QUOTE from you:

"I wrote a revue on Bucks web site which they pulled down and sent me an email asking to call them and I did they wanted me to send the knife back so they could look at it I declined the offer as I can fix the problems myself and I don't trust them."

I believe that you should GET A NEW KNIFE FROM THEM and trust them. Otherwise you are just fixing one MESSED UP KNIFE. And if you do NOT trust them - get a FULL REFUND.

Sorry that I missed what your post said initially.

Cate
PS: I special ordered some NEW knives from the BUCK STORE in Idaho several years ago. Kitchen knives. They were perfectly made - handles and blades. The colors were different and they were in 2 different sizes. I ordered them that way in 2 different colors and styles on purpose!

I only special ordered these 2 BUCK knives from IDAHO. (OFF of their website but I spoke to a HUMAN BEING on the tellie IN their MAIN store in Idaho. I did nothing online while I was looking at their website.

ALL of my other knives were bought IN PERSON and handled by ME before I bought them NIB in stores around here and back east.

ADDED more because I screwed up my post.

Last Edited:
Makes you wonder where it was purchased from and the likelihood of a knockoff. These days you almost have to be leary of almost any supply chain that isn't directly from the mfg or listed as an authorized dealer... by the mfg.

One or the other having issues might be a QC blip, but both handle and blade grind issues... more "overall" issues seems a little suspect.

Makes you wonder where it was purchased from and the likelihood of a knockoff. These days you almost have to be leary of almost any supply chain that isn't directly from the mfg or listed as an authorized dealer... by the mfg.

One or the other having issues might be a QC blip, but both handle and blade grind issues... more "overall" issues seems a little suspect.
This!

Thank you.

Cate

This is why I was thinking they probably want the knife back to verify it's even theirs. Ish happens though. Especially with these crazy times. Seems everyone is a new worker and seeing a ton of "first time quality" (or lack there of) everywhere I go. Just think about what the new vehicle problems are going to have in a few years. It won't just be the cars made on Fridays or Mondays anymore. ;)

Anyway. I hear ya about fixin' it sometimes a little elbow grease is the quickest and easiest fix.

Thanks for the heads up about them cherry picken reviews they just got knocked down a peg in my book.

This is why I was thinking they probably want the knife back to verify it's even theirs.
Yeah. The 119 is so incredibly common, in demand and pretty much iconic.... it sure would be a good candidate for a knockoff. Heck, if scammers will do knockoffs of a gerber strongarm (from experience), a Buck 119 is pretty much a given. ;)

I would want to verify it's authenticity before doing too much to it. You can certainly tune it up, but if it is indeed a knockoff I would about guarantee the blade is for crap and not worth the effort.

I was disappointed, and my "whole world is going to Hell" radar went up when I purchased a Number 110 (as a gift) a couple years ago, only to discover the "Prayer Card" was no longer included in the factory packaging.

Just as iconic as the Number 110 (and 119), a small card with a Bible verse had been included with every Buck knife for as long as I could remember.

It made me wonder what else changed and who made that decision in the company.

This is sad. Buck, Case, and old-timer knives had such great quality in the good ole days. Case in particular used to come honed to a perfect razor edge.

Sending stuff back is a pig in a poke. Notwithstanding any good meaning on the company's part, their solution of a problem may not be yours.
Twice I was soured by the return of items; The first time was with Case knives, (before they went to crap) a pocket knife, given to me by my grandpa, I had from my youth and over 25 years old which had been sharpened to the point the tip was high enough out of the handle that it would catch in my pocket. I sent it back asking for a new blade and willing to pay. they sent me a brand new nearly the same knife style. History and fond memories wanted all the mars and nicks on the handle I had given it so was taken aback when i complained and was told it was gone forever. they even seem a little indignant I was not pleased with the NEW knife.
The second time was nearly the same scenario but for different reasons with Gerber. Here I had a multitool with a main knife blade so hard it snapped cutting a rose bush branch. Remembering Case, when called they claimed they could replace the bade, but it turned out no longer made the blade without half being serrated so scrapped it and sent me a new multitool, and with the a serrated blade. but the new one was now several generations later and had different screwdriver tips, my old one fit most Philips and flats up to about size 12 but the new one were so big and bogus it wouldn't fit even a size 10 let alone smaller ones, plus instead of an awl it had a lanyard tab taking up its space. Also, Mine had been used so much it worked like it was slick teflon while the new one was so stiff you could break nails opening it. Loosening the screws just, well, made it loose! I haven't used it since!
While I applaud their quick and ungrumbled return policies, some mechanism should be available to return the original item if unable to fulfill customers request, and not just assuming everyone wants a new one. As in both cases, having made many things in my life requiring metal working and heat treating, I could have made the repairs myself, albeit with considerable hassle.
If the returned item has any connection you don't want to lose, be very careful to address such things before you commit to the return. Even then, you may not have much clout.

Sending stuff back is a pig in a poke. Notwithstanding any good meaning on the company's part, their solution of a problem may not be yours.
Twice I was soured by the return of items; The first time was with Case knives, (before they went to crap) a pocket knife, given to me by my grandpa, I had from my youth and over 25 years old which had been sharpened to the point the tip was high enough out of the handle that it would catch in my pocket. I sent it back asking for a new blade and willing to pay. they sent me a brand new nearly the same knife style. History and fond memories wanted all the mars and nicks on the handle I had given it so was taken aback when i complained and was told it was gone forever. they even seem a little indignant I was not pleased with the NEW knife.
The second time was nearly the same scenario but for different reasons with Gerber. Here I had a multitool with a main knife blade so hard it snapped cutting a rose bush branch. Remembering Case, when called they claimed they could replace the bade, but it turned out no longer made the blade without half being serrated so scrapped it and sent me a new multitool, and with the a serrated blade. but the new one was now several generations later and had different screwdriver tips, my old one fit most Philips and flats up to about size 12 but the new one were so big and bogus it wouldn't fit even a size 10 let alone smaller ones, plus instead of an awl it had a lanyard tab taking up its space. Also, Mine had been used so much it worked like it was slick teflon while the new one was so stiff you could break nails opening it. Loosening the screws just, well, made it loose! I haven't used it since!
While I applaud their quick and ungrumbled return policies, some mechanism should be available to return the original item if unable to fulfill customers request, and not just assuming everyone wants a new one. As in both cases, having made many things in my life requiring metal working and heat treating, I could have made the repairs myself, albeit with considerable hassle.
If the returned item has any connection you don't want to lose, be very careful to address such things before you commit to the return. Even then, you may not have much clout.
Yeah good points.
Sucks to hear about your cherished knife. In cases like this you should just ask for a new blade, just the blade. Sent them a dated picture and just tell them you don't trust them not to eff it up and it means to much to you to leave it to someone who it means nothing too.

I have severe trust issues at this point this is partially why I just prefer to do almost everything myself.

Thanks for the heads up about them cherry picken reviews they just got knocked down a peg in my book.
I wouldn't fault them too much for that. It's pretty much common practice with any mfg and more advertising "testimonials" than pos/neg feedback reviews like you would see on a third party resellers site... like Amazon.

You wouldn't expect them to do a TV advertisement or brochure that included all the hair brained negative statments too, now would you?

Posting a negative comment is certainly a good way to get their attention if they aren't responding appropriately or timely to private C.S. requests, though.

Well actually yeah somewhat. It throws up a huge red flag when I see very lop sided positive reviews. One such example is Larue. By in large almost every product they sell gets seemingly 99% 5 star reviews. Statistically I find that kind dubious, but if it weren't the fact that I have bought enough stuff from them and dealt with their customer service dept. To know that it is in fact one of the 99% top companies I would want to buy from. I don't think I've had a single product of theirs I haven't fell in love with.
But generally yeah. I Luke to see some bad reviews. Unfortunately we do live Ina day an age where people will pay good money to not farms to sully a good name/product.

That and I've burned enough times from amazon to not really trust those reviews any more. I'd much rather have personal recommendations.

For years Bucks logo was a bolt on an anvil and a buck knife being used as a cold chisel to cut the steel bolt. The change in steel and the change in the edge angle happened about the time they changed the logo. It's not the same product. DR

Knife was bought from buck it is one of their limited addition only 750 made knifes, no question about it being a real buck knife.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top