JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. I haven't been hunting since I was 13, so 15 years ago. I work at a garbage dump and recently found a damn near New bowtech bow and case. I've never been into bow hunting, so this is New territory. I want to start with deer, will probably stay rifle for elk. But wondering what gear you like to pack, what is helpful etc. I have an eberlestock x2 pack for size reference. And just general good beginner tips for starting out.

I don't use a compound bow...so I can't help you there.
However...

I do shoot traditional archery and have hunted that way before.
Practice....lots and lots of practice will be helpful.
As well as finding out what distance you can make a good solid hit at...
And sticking to that distance no matter how tempting it may be to go beyond that when hunting.
Andy

What @Andy54Hawken said is the best advice.
First thing to do is take the bow to a service shop and check the draw length and weight, if it's adjustable have them do so to fit you. If it doesn't fit you look for a trade ( archerytalk.com is an excellent resource for all things archery).
While you are at the archery shop if you don't already have them you'll need a quiver, arrows and field tips (don't spend a bunch on these you're going to lose and break a few), a sight, and a release.
Once you have your bow fit shoot it alot. If you can shoot in your yard, get a block target and shoot every day, the muscles will build up fast and you'll get accurate in no time, plus it's a ton of fun especially when you start hitting beer cans at 80+ yards.
At some point you should get a range finder, there are archery specific ones that will take into account your angle if hunting from a tree stand, but any range finder will do as long as it's accurate. That being said you still need to be good at ranging on the fly, as you might not have time to use the range finder while hunting, so practice this too.
Another fun thing to do is find a 3d range, think of it like golf but with a bow so it's actually fun :s0155:.

Also take a look at the Exo Mtn Gear site as well as the Sitka and Kuiu sites. They all have articles on what bowhunters "should" carry in their pack. i don't follow everything that is suggested but the articles offer some helpful guidance. Separately, I'd pack a decent first aid kit with bandaids and perhaps an IFAK kit. Broad heads are very sharp, or at least they should be.

Almost all modern bowtech bows are adjustable, so as long as you can draw within the limb poundage your draw length should be easily adjusted. Bowtech is also expensive, so you might want to run the serial number by the Sheriff's Office before you get too attached.

Last Edited:
It depends on the type of game you plan on hunting. Some require totally different equipment and some you can mix up a bit. I am a former level 1 archery instructor and would recommend that you make sure that the bow you have fits you properly. If you do not have a arrow quiver it would be sound to get one to take along more than a handful of arrows. Broadheads are a must. A good sight for your bow. Other than bow equipment you should have the proper gear for hunting. A good backpack ( one that is able to fit your game or pieces of it to bring back to camp), clothing- this will vary depending on what you like and what you can afford, Binoculars or monocular isn't always necessary but does come in handy when trying to see further than 50 yards. I would also recommend a 1st aid kit, flash light, headlamp, and maps of the location(s) you will be hunting at. Good luck to you! Happy hunting!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top