JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just want to give everyone a heads up about a new book that is coming out. Ian McCollum of the YouTube channel Forgotten Weapons has written a new book about the history of French military rifles, Chassepot to FAMAS: French Military Rifles, 1866 – 2016.

e19e09f2bd19870f424c55f81048bf2a_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.jpg
50e761f6640c4656df5c82e4bfebea2b_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.jpg
5641d0aea7a62c522cd176c4a0d09b5f_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.jpg
dbd71e45d711e001141988b11d7b8d16_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.jpg

The book can be ordered online Headstamp Publishing and it will be published in October.

French military rifles include the landmark Lebel Model 1886 rifle, the first military rifle chambered for a small caliber smokeless powder cartridge that made all other rifle\cartridge combinations in the world obsolete, yet this will be the first book I'm aware of focused on French military rifles.

Here are my Lebel Mle. 1886, Berthier Mle. 1907/15, and Remington Mle 1907-15

DSC08293a_zps6830053e.jpg

one of my MAS-36 rifles

DSC03915.jpg

and my MAS-49/56.

DSC04309a.jpg

Last Edited:
I like to ridicule the Fronch as much as the next guy. After all, .... The French will always be there when they need us.

And I always remember they were instrumental in helping America against the British in the Revolutionary war. BUT I think the France of today has suffered the serial emasculation of the French Revolution, assorted wars with Germany, especially WW1, much of it self inflicted (marching in ranks into machinegun emplacements? C'mon!) etc.etc.

But, i recently had the chance to examine a MAS 1935 pistol. I have to say, it actually had some interesting and innovative features. A captured recoil spring like the Hi Power (albeit with a swinging link not cam surface. And a modular hammer/sear assembly that comes out easily on field stripping. Granted, the cartridge is meager. The .30 cal pistol ctg originally created for the Pedersen device of WW1 era and the thumb safety is pretty crude and awkward. Still, a lot more innovative than I would have expected.

This all reminds me, I need a Lebel... and a MAS 49-56. And that I've missed a couple of opportunities in the past due to depleted funds. :(

I like to ridicule the Fronch as much as the next guy. After all, .... The French will always be there when they need us.

And I always remember they were instrumental in helping America against the British in the Revolutionary war. BUT I think the France of today has suffered the serial emasculation of the French Revolution, assorted wars with Germany, especially WW1, much of it self inflicted (marching in ranks into machinegun emplacements? C'mon!) etc.etc.

But, i recently had the chance to examine a MAS 1935 pistol. I have to say, it actually had some interesting and innovative features. A captured recoil spring like the Hi Power (albeit with a swinging link not cam surface. And a modular hammer/sear assembly that comes out easily on field stripping. Granted, the cartridge is meager. The .30 cal pistol ctg originally created for the Pedersen device of WW1 era and the thumb safety is pretty crude and awkward. Still, a lot more innovative than I would have expected.

This all reminds me, I need a Lebel... and a MAS 49-56. And that I've missed a couple of opportunities in the past due to depleted funds. :(

Wait, don't forget the Maginot Line...
All jesting aside, the French were invaluable to us during the Revolutionary War. For that we are forever grateful.

I've got one of these
all matching with some extensive trench art and an incredible hand made buttstock mod to carry cleaning supplies. I'll try to post some pics. Also have a french banner with many of the rifle and cartridge variations - an interesting piece.

I want access to one..books= +++$$$$
Saying cost TRUMPS value of knowledge would be fat lie.
That group knows their bubblegume....maybe in English too
Beats translation of French manuals and such.

Ok here we are. I've only just begun researching this but am geeking out about it all. The cleaning bottle even has some oil in it! PLEASE!! anyone with knowledge share - it will be very much appreciated.

20190818_103609.jpg 20190818_103800.jpg 20190818_104240.jpg 20190818_103628.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads