JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BLUF: Need to know where to buy a new barrel and who can install it.

Hello, I searched the threads here and Googled it, but am having zero luck in finding answers. I have a Remington 700 Police LTR in 300 SAUM (or RSAUM to some) and the barrel is shot out. What I'd like to do is replace it with a good quality carbon-wrapped barrel in the same length (20"), threaded (5/8x24 I believe, whatever is standard), and in a normal color for hunting (black/gray/green/?).

I prefer to stay away from garage and kitchen counter gunsmiths like myself...unless they come with tons of positive reviews/recommendations. Any suggestions? Proof? Hart? Who/what is available. Help please. I'm in Tacoma, but can ship/drive if reasonable. Thanks and happy Friday (the 13th).

Side note: if all goes well, there would be two other rifles needing similar.

300 SAUM might be hard to get, but these guys may be what you're looking for.

Reach out to Tim Copeland at Copeland Gun Works. He is a local gunsmith that will be able to perform these things for you. He is in this site and goes by @Velzey

You are probably aware you have a couple options for your R700.
1) The obvious is to buy a barrel blank direct from barrel manufactures, then have the gunsmith thread and ream the chamber of your choice. Figure 400-500 for the barrel and another 250-300 for gunsmithing. total around $ 800 or more.
2) Or buy a prefit barrel already chambered...then the installation is simple. $650 Just need the wrenches and go/no go gauge. Maybe someone on this site can help.

Thanks to all for helping. Looking for someone that can get the barrel that I want and install it...a one-stop-shop. If I can't find that, I'm adding that to my business profile and buying the tools (they'll pay for themselves in no time). Seems rather odd that due to the lead times being so far out and there isn't anyone to do the work in the PNW, that more side businesses aren't popping up...with the right tools/gauges, pretty simple job really.

I've used the nice guys at Brimstone Gunsmithing many times for various kinds of projects. David and team can obtain and install a finished barrel, or cut and chamber a blank for you in pretty much anything you could want. Easy to recommend.

Thanks to all for helping. Looking for someone that can get the barrel that I want and install it...a one-stop-shop. If I can't find that, I'm adding that to my business profile and buying the tools (they'll pay for themselves in no time). Seems rather odd that due to the lead times being so far out and there isn't anyone to do the work in the PNW, that more side businesses aren't popping up...with the right tools/gauges, pretty simple job really.
Good luck with your new service offering! Clearly the need is here. These days, custom actions and barrels have become very common. Not sure if you intend to buy a lathe but there is a bid demand to thread barrels for suppressors as well.

Tim is extremely busy because he is that good. He'll get back to you.
My experience as well! In the age of internet speed people don't have much in the line of patience. @Velzey is hands down the best. Would you rather someone get distracted from servicing your prized firearm to answer several phone calls or concentrate on the project in front of him just to forget where they left off?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top