JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there, I'm new, living in Portland. I'm looking to get good at shooting. I'm particularly interested in the USPSA production division, but I'd be game for any event that will help me improve (provided I've got the right guns for it).

Would love any guidance or recommendations, as I'm new to the sport—planning on going to watch the next available USPSA match.

Welcome! Tri County Gun Club has a Practical Pistol match which is their version of USPSA. I forget if any club here has an actual USPSA match, perhaps another member could let you know!

Also, a great way to see local matches in one place is on Practiscore. Sign up for an account there and then find a bunch of matches in the metro area.

Welcome! Tri County Gun Club has a Practical Pistol match which is their version of USPSA. I forget if any club here has an actual USPSA match, perhaps another member could let you know!

Also, a great way to see local matches in one place is on Practiscore. Sign up for an account there and then find a bunch of matches in the metro area.

Thank you for the tips. I've gotten on the wait list for Tri County Gun Club membership; I'd love to be able to take advantage of that action shooting range.

USPSA matches at CVSC range at Dundee on the 4th Saturday. Steel matches at Tri-County and Albany. IDPA at Tri-County.
Welcome to the forum!

TCGC's Practical Pistol match is now back to being a sanctioned USPSA match.

However, participants are still required to follow the "no muzzle over the berm" rule.
Club RSO's are on duty during said matches and will DQ you if a violation is brought to their attention or they witness it in person.

So to clarify, the club RSO is the one tasked with with enforcement of the "no muzzle over the berm" rule, not a USPSA representative (match director). Keep your muzzle below the top of the berm on your reloads and while "running and gunning" and you"ll be fine.

No matter what competition you end up shooting or the host facility (gun clubs), just get out there and do it. The water's fine! :D

Last Edited:
Little bit of advice. Familiarize yourself with your firearm of choice. Whatever item you think you want to use for home defense or for concealed carry or even just to be accurate with, learn the weapon. How it works. How you carry it. How it shoots. Best position possible for what you want to use it for.

Practice at home safely with dry fire practice. For me it's every night at least 20 minutes per night. I dry fire every night before bed and I also hit the range on average about once a week. Familiarize yourself with your platform. Head up to national forest land and practice with live rounds. Focus on getting yourself efficient with your gun. You don't need USPSA to make yourself a good shooter. If you don't put in the time to practice and fundamentalise yourself with your weapon a couple USPSA classes a month won't get you there.

Welcome to the forum and the best of luck to you. This is the best place to hang out on the internet!

Last Edited:
Thanks so much to you all for the warm welcomes. I'm grateful for the tips and info. I plan to go to the USPSA match at ARPC next Sunday to watch and learn, maybe a steel match after that. Can't wait to jump in. Dry firing aplenty in the meanwhile.

Thanks so much to you all for the warm welcomes. I'm grateful for the tips and info. I plan to go to the USPSA match at ARPC next Sunday to watch and learn, maybe a steel match after that. Can't wait to jump in. Dry firing aplenty in the meanwhile.
FYI, USPSA at ARPC is next Sat. Multigun is on Sun., although it's showing cancelled on the club calendar…

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top