JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SOB!!!

@Joe Link can we get an emoji where the dude is throwing money around! You guys cost me money every F-ing day!!!:s0107:

Here's the image for you.
2000[1].jpg

a friend with a 10/22 takedown said his zero would change everytime he took the rifle down and put it back together

I'm on my 2nd 10/22 takedown, I sold the first one because I wanted to get the one with the threaded bull barrel. I've not had the new one out much, as I'm just getting back into shooting 22LR, but my old one was a tack driver. It held zero with no problems.

It adds a feature to one you already have, as opposed to buying a brand new takedown for more.

I already have a takedown rifle (and one is enough for me), so this isn't marketed towards me so I can't say much. Also if $200 is the msrp, it might be sold for less elsewhere eventually.

I know from experience that the beveled cut out on those ruger barrels are wicked sharp! I'm guessing careful handling or some lite filing would be in order to keep from accidental lacerations.

So the one I ordered came in the mail.

It is 4 ounces heavier than the wood stock (older model 10/22 with metal trigger housing).

Well made. How it clamps down on the barrel works well. Haven't shot it yet, but I would bet it holds zero. The action fits tighter in the stock than the original wood stock. The barrel goes into the buttstock breech first and the barrel is held securely but it does wiggle around (to be fair, this is a skinny plastic Ramline barrel with a steel liner). Not sure, but I think both the stock and the buttstock may work with a bull barrel.

The buttstock pad is partly rubber - which is nice. However the latch to open the buttstock for internal storage or the pad itself is very tight. I had to pry it open. There is some storage - besides the barrel - in the buttstock. I have not shot it yet, but I think it can be shot with the buttstock folded. The 16" barrel does not extend beyond the end of the fore-end when the stock is folded and the barrel is in the buttstock, but a longer barrel would.

In short, it is pretty much what I wanted for this particular 10/22 (I have a Ruger Takedown and an International); lightweight (about 4 pounds altogether with the plastic barrel) and it folds up nice. I could easily switch out barrels on it.

So the one I ordered came in the mail.

It is 4 ounces heavier than the wood stock (older model 10/22 with metal trigger housing).

Well made. How it clamps down on the barrel works well. Haven't shot it yet, but I would bet it holds zero. The action fits tighter in the stock than the original wood stock. The barrel goes into the buttstock breech first and the barrel is held securely but it does wiggle around (to be fair, this is a skinny plastic Ramline barrel with a steel liner). Not sure, but I think both the stock and the buttstock may work with a bull barrel.

The buttstock pad is partly rubber - which is nice. However the latch to open the buttstock for internal storage or the pad itself is very tight. I had to pry it open. There is some storage - besides the barrel - in the buttstock. I have not shot it yet, but I think it can be shot with the buttstock folded. The 16" barrel does not extend beyond the end of the fore-end when the stock is folded and the barrel is in the buttstock, but a longer barrel would.

In short, it is pretty much what I wanted for this particular 10/22 (I have a Ruger Takedown and an International); lightweight (about 4 pounds altogether with the plastic barrel) and it folds up nice. I could easily switch out barrels on it.

I purchased one from the same outfit. I like the idea but the cam feature that holds the barrel in place didn't do the trick.

When assembled the cam doesn't lock in positively, and the barrel wiggles side to side. I cannot tighten it enough to remove the wiggle and latch the cam. So back to my synthetic stock.

I purchased one from the same outfit. I like the idea but the cam feature that holds the barrel in place didn't do the trick.

When assembled the cam doesn't lock in positively, and the barrel wiggles side to side. I cannot tighten it enough to remove the wiggle and latch the cam. So back to my synthetic stock.

I only tried this on my one older 10/22 beater I bought from my brother for $100 decades ago, not the others, but the cam worked very well. I can tighten the cam enough such that it cannot be closed all the way. As it is, I got it in what I consider the Goldilocks setting - so tight that I can barely dislodge it, so there it holds everything really tight.

What I wish wasn't so tight was the recoil pad - it hurts to get it open - I have to pry it open with something. Not sure what I am going to do about that. Probably mod it a bit, maybe grind on something until it opens by hand without prying.

I was thinking that a person could create a fake barrel short enough that doesn't extend beyond the end of the buttstock, that could hold items (ammo?) inside a hollow tube. One end of it would have the wedge cut in it so that either the action & stock or the buttstock hold it securely. When collapsed/folded it would be in the action instead of the barrel (the barrel being in the buttstock) and when you wanted to use the rifle, you just switch places with the barrel.

This will be another 'truck gun' for me, maybe a pack gun. Thinking of ways to store ammo in it. I will probably put a small red dot/et. al. on it.

I only tried this on my one older 10/22 beater I bought from my brother for $100 decades ago, not the others, but the cam worked very well. I can tighten the cam enough such that it cannot be closed all the way. As it is, I got it in what I consider the Goldilocks setting - so tight that I can barely dislodge it, so there it holds everything really tight.

What I wish wasn't so tight was the recoil pad - it hurts to get it open - I have to pry it open with something. Not sure what I am going to do about that. Probably mod it a bit, maybe grind on something until it opens by hand without prying.

I was thinking that a person could create a fake barrel short enough that doesn't extend beyond the end of the buttstock, that could hold items (ammo?) inside a hollow tube. One end of it would have the wedge cut in it so that either the action & stock or the buttstock hold it securely. When collapsed/folded it would be in the action instead of the barrel (the barrel being in the buttstock) and when you wanted to use the rifle, you just switch places with the barrel.

This will be another 'truck gun' for me, maybe a pack gun. Thinking of ways to store ammo in it. I will probably put a small red dot/et. al. on it.
Good idea on the ammo storage.
I really wanted this to work. I dreamed of that cam actually clicking into position when adjusted properly.
The recoil pad is very hard to open too.
If the contact surfaces of the barrel and receiver were trued up I bet it would work.

To bad I don't like 10-22's never have.

YMMV
Aww come on Mark, where's the love? :p Proggie's have their Subaru's with an Obama bumper sticker on the rear and we have our 10/22's. :rolleyes: I've had mine for over thirty years. Parts are everywhere, they're fun to shoot and great for the kids to learn on.

Aww come on Mark, where's the love? :p Proggie's have their Subaru's with an Obama bumper sticker on the rear and we have our 10/22's. :rolleyes: I've had mine for over thirty years. Parts are everywhere, they're fun to shoot and great for the kids to learn on.
I like everything about them except the bolt release. Sort of the butterface of the gun world. :D

True! That bolt catch thingy is freaking annoying at times. I'm pretty used to it by now though and i've got no desire to upgrade it.
When I bought mine I was teaching a lot of classes. So many kids were bringing their 10/22's I decided I'd better leave it stock and get proficient with it. I wonder what I'd be like with one now. Probably all thumbs again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top