JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Built a new upper and the bolt will not go fully into battery when a round is loaded.

Figured out it has an issue with the extractor not being able to move fully over the case rim. Exact cause of this is yet to be determined.

Last Edited:
could be a few different things

is it a 5.56 or .223 barrel? and what kind of ammo are you using

did you check the headspace with gauges

did you push the forward assist to see if it will close it?

when you dropped the round in by hand did stick in the chamber or fall right out with a couple shakes

is your gas tube aligned properly so it can't bind up . it may work freely unloaded but when pushing a round into the chamber bind up

what kind of mags are you using

the way you discribed it with the extractor marks sounds like the chamber needs polishing but thats rare and if so the barrel should be returned to the manfacturer

it could be a out of spec extractor i have seen that happen bolt would not close . Companies like colt keep a bucket near by where if a extractor does not me TRUE "mil spec" they throw them away. while lesser companies if it fits lets call it mil spec and sell it.

who made the extractor?

so what was the issue?

its good to leave this open rather than delete it in case someone else ever has the same issue.

Well I thought I had erased the post before anyone had been on it yet. Anyways, put my Colt BCG in and it worked fine so my Nickel Boron coated one has some type of extractor issue where the extractor is not moving outwards far enough to move over the case rim.

Last Edited:
Update on this. The ejector spring was too long causing the ejector to act as a little over length hammer on the back of the case. Ground the spring down a bit and it's all good now!

What makes the AR so good it is is a rather simple rifle. Quality parts are easy to get and low priced.

Yeap, I may pick up a new spring but this one should function fine. Just broke my new bolt down as well as another colt one I had around and compared parts. This new build is a rifle length .223 rem chamber for coyotes/target so I dont worry as much about ultra battle hardened reliability. Aka shortening the spring is fine for now.

We took my sons new Anderson AR out Sunday just to have it only fire one or two rounds at a time before jamming and or not going into battery. Broke it down and noticed the carrier key has a wear mark on the front right and a wear mark on the left rear. Put my bolt assembly in there and it ran as it should. He'll have the carrier replaced or key re staked this week.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top