Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New 4473 Form Borderline Racist

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Has anyone seen the new 4473 forms? Now instead of just asking nationality they split it into two sections. First it asks ethnicity and then it asks nationality. The bad part is under "Ethnicity" it only gives two options...hispanic and non-hispanic. Is that how people are categorized these days? There are now only two ethnicities that matter when buying a gun? Whether you are hispanic or not.

2. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

you think thats bad?
    << is born american to a mom who is german
    a dad who is half canadian and half mexican
    try explaining that one on when asked "Ethnicity"

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You need to look at the form again.

Box 10a asks for Ethnicity Hispanic or Non Hispanic

Box 10b asks for RACE (not Nationality) American Indian or Alaskian Native, Asian, Black or African American, White, Native Hawiian or other Pacific Islander

Box 14 asks for your Country of Citizenship if you are not an American Citizen. But still not Nationality.

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

5. MCR

MCR Milwaukie, OR New Member

And a non citizen no longer has to provide three months residency at same address... Sounds to crazy to me, makes it alittle easier for some not so desireables to get a gun

rpickette and (deleted member) like this.
  6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

There is a very good reason why the atf has decided to more closely monitor gun sales to hispanics. Reason is the 90 day proof of residency that green card holders formerly had to deal with. That used to result in an instant Delay, which could suspend the gun sale up to 3 business days, which gave the fbi some extra time to supposedly weed out the bad apples kinda thing. However, now the atf has decided that according to the Gun control act of 68, it is unconstitutional to keep a green-card holding hispanic from taking possession of his new gun (or pile of guns) right now, instead of that pesky wait, that buyer Used to undergo. I received this info in with my new 4473 forms.

Seems to me like the atf have found another way to accomplish what fast & furious couldn't, keeping the flow of us originated gun moving into mexico. These folks simply refuse to learn any thing.

7. slicediceputinrice

slicediceputinrice SE Portland Active Member

all of it can be avoided by simply doing a private transfer

8. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

The mortgage industry has the same questions in the declarations section of your application for past few years now as well. Supposedly the reason it is on there is so there is no racial profiling against hispanics, as there were many reports that there were unfair advantages as well as fees accessed to the hispanic community

9. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

An FFL cannot do a private transfer out of his buisness inventory.
    If he sells a personal weapon (0ne in his private ownership) he is required to own it for one year if it is a firearm xfered out of his business inventory and it still has to be recorded in the bound record. see:C44 478.125a personal firearms

10. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

This has been a fairly standard differentiation on many forms, government and private, for a while.

11. Wolfcry

Wolfcry Washougal New Member

Probably better to weed out the "bad apples" during the Visa process, which takes months and/ or years to complete. If they can't find something questionable in a person's background in months and years, 3 more days for the FBI to check into it (after they've made it into the country and received their green card) probably isn't going to make much difference. Unlike gun sales, they can take all the time in the world with Visas.

Furthermore the "proof" of residency for three months mostly consisted of things like bills, so if your husband/ family members are paying for things, then suddenly you can't exercise your rights, even if the dates on your Drivers license/green card indicate that you've been here for 3 months. In addition green card holders are required to report any change of address within 10 days. I'm sure their are many people out there who don't comply with this, and people with fake green cards, ect, but the extra proof is a barrier in certain situations. Essentially the government was requiring that you pay and be able to present a monthly bill of some kind to exercise one of your rights.

I feel the need to point this out because this exact thing happened to me. I had immigrated to the US from Canada (I'm happily married to a US Citizen), had received my green card in the mail, got my WA drivers license, SSN and had been in WA for three months at the same address. However I couldn't buy a gun from an FFL because I didn't have 3 months of bills in my name, my husband handles the bills and I use a pre-paid cell phone, so I didn't have anything I could use as the proof they wanted to see. Part of the reason I went through the many months long Visa process and made the move to this country was so I could have those rights.

12. billdeserthills

Sounds like that's the dealer's problem, at least in what's left of the free states in this country

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  13. billdeserthills

Funny, seems like most ex cons & illegals just get the girl friend to buy the gun for them. I guess they're very crafty

14. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Made me laugh. I'm 1/4 Irish 1/4 German and 1/2 Mexican. In the winter people think I'm white and in summer due to my farmers tan everyone thinks I'm Italian or mexican. So every time I fill out my aft form I put something different down.

Bigfoot and (deleted member) like this.
  15. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Do you have any idea of the amount of background checks and screening a green card holder goes through? There are much easier ways for 'undesirables' to get a gun than waiting years for a green card.

The 90 day requirement was dropped because the ATF was smacked by the DoJ - it turns out the Gun Control Act never gave the ATF the right to ask for this info, but they had got away with it for years until some determined green card holders pointed this out.

16. kodiak61

kodiak61 Goldendale, WA Member

mixed_race_teens-285x280.jpg

I got 99 problems but race aint one.

17. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Wolfcry - thank you for your trust in the people of the United States and thank you for the respect you've shown by going through the work to become a citizen.

18. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

People are the ultimate resource.

Every time an immigrant enters the United States, we get stronger.

19. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Fixed for you...

Botte Hork, Redcap, Stomper and 3 others like this.
  20. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

I take distinct offence to this comment on non-citizens. Everyone in the US came from somewhere else at some time. Some families are new now, some families were new 500 years ago, and some 5000 years ago...but everyone here come from somehere else at some time.

Just because someone came to the US last year does not make them any better or any worse than you.

As to the new questions...I believe them to be illegal, but they will have to be challanged and go through the courts first.

Botte Hork and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.