JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a set of Hornady Custom .380 dies, I was setting up the dies so I can get my load on. But I noticed that the sizing die was scuffing the brass pretty bad. I'm new at all this, but this didn't seem right to me. My Lee Carbide .38 SPL dies do not scuff at all. The Hornady are supposedly Titanium coated. Is this normal? I don't want to size a 100 new Starline cases, if I'm doing any damage to them.

The case on the left has not been sized, the two on the right have been put through the sizer. The arrows are where the scuffs stop, I did clean it when I received it, and it looks clean inside.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks - TDH

20200530_170927.jpg

It's not pretty, but I've seen this before. What you've got there isn't the worst. Many people use case lube with carbide dies just to get the best cosmetic result. You're trading off the bother of removing case lube for a bit of speed. And cosmetic appearance can be a casualty. That's why I have a set of steel dies and a set of carbide dies for most pistol calibers that I load. Scuffing isn't the only issue with carbide/titanium nitride dies. Depending on brand of brass, you can get distortion of the case from the carbide ring. Like a ridge left in the web. Or the "hour glass effect."

As to why your Lee .38 Special carbide die doesn't leave marks, some are just made smoother than others. If you want to polish this sizing die, use a bore mop and some automotive car polish or rubbing compound. Don't over-do it.

One other thing, you're sizing new, unfired brass. Which is pretty dry.

According to Hornady since they are titanium they don't require any lube, but I did shoot a little lube on one to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I used One Shot, its the only lube I have on hand.

Email Hornady. From other experience with them, I am guessing they will handle it promptly. Titanium nitride is a micron-thin coating over carbon steel, so the underlying polish of the steel may be slightly rough. Sounds like the steel die body might have had some roughness? Even though no lube is necessary, you might (maybe not) try a case with lube. Make sure you mention that they are new cases from Starline.

I have always used carbide insert dies (RCBS and Lee) and carbide is so incredibly hard that it is generally polished like chrome. And, that takes time and costs money.

Appreciate the responses, so other than cosmetics there "shouldn't" be an issue? :)

I'll shoot the picture off to Hornady as suggested.

Thanks guys.

According to Hornady since they are titanium they don't require any lube, but I did shoot a little lube on one to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I used One Shot, its the only lube I have on hand.
I pretty much have to agree with gmerkt. Try polishing and see what happens.
I've never owned a set of carbides much less titanium. Just this year I quit using RCBS case lube and went to 99% alcohol with liquid lanolin. Hmm since 1966..52 years:eek:. Me, alcohol & lanolin are best friends now.

Dan

For ME....
The rule is (especially with straight walled pistol cartridges).....

BUY CARBIDE DIES (when possible).

So...about what your picture is showing.
Assuming that your die is adjusted correctly and the die is built to spec .....
If you are using a carbide die .....
The ring that you are seeing is normal. it's showing you the extent of the contact of the case with the die.

OK, Ok, Ok,......but, it's only my opinion from the photo. Cause, I'm not measuring it.

Think of the carbide as a doughnut and it's been placed into the mouth of your die. So....obviously there is a transitional radius/mouth. That..... doesn't do anything during the resizing of the case. It's not actually touching the case's metal body, when it's shoved into the die. *But everything past the narrowest point of the ring of carbide does get resized. And of course, a certain amount of the case head is in the shell holder doesn't get resized either. Add it all up and you get that small portion of the case that is not being resized. BUT....don't worry about it.

It may not look all that pretty but if your reloads works.....you're GOLDEN.

*Cases like the 9mm Lugar or .30 carbine are actually tapered cases. I don't know about the .380 ACP, So, figure that one out. Yeah....some people report some strange looking reloads sometimes.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I have no experience with Ti dies. And, the sort of "frosting look" is normal sometimes since it's been through the shooting and resizing process. And sometimes it looks beautiful (like on the left)....I don't care. When it works....it's all good to me.

Though lube could also be a factor. But since I don't lube. Rrrright.....carbide dies don't need it. Sorry, I don't know about what the recommendations are/is for Ti dies.

Last Edited:
Update:
I reached out to Hornady, and they had me send the die back. It was returned today, with a note saying they cleaned/polished, tested and inspected it. They sent it with a sized case as well. I tested on a few cases and they look good.

I wish it wouldn't have been sent out that way, but at least they took care of it quickly.

Thanks everyone!

Decades ago, RCBS carbide sizers sized into the web of the case head. It took some effort to size that last1/8" or so, but the cases gleamed, especially if they were very clean before hand. Unfortunately, this lead to a few carbide inserts pulling from the die bodies. I had one such in .45 ACP. Sent it back and they replaced it witth their newer desoign which sizes to the point of the web. Thus, it leaves a ring where the actual swaging stops. But, it works the web less - where maximum strength is needed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top