JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Amendment 28

Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United
States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives,
and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or
Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the
United States.

Let's get this passed around, folks - these people have brought this upon themselves!

Why should members of congress benefit from such as premium level health care insurance and other scandalously high benefits they harvest from the public trough, just because they are part of what they come view as being 'the elected royalty'....rather than 'public servants'?

Way easier solution:

Instead of complaining about what others have and you don't have, do something about it. Join a union and support a pro-labor political agenda. In a few years you'll have good benefits and better wages because you fought for it.

On the other hand, amending the Constitution is so much easier...

I first joined a union in 1966.

To compare the benefits the "congressional unionists" have is missing a very large point.

That the "congressional unionists" have the power to vote themselves benefits we of the "loyal members of the American union" can not access regardless of our political activities is something you might explain for those of us on the short bus.

How are you going to get the criminals in government to make laws against them being criminals. You would have to shut down everything and start over.

jj

re: "How are you going to get the criminals in government to make laws against them being criminals. You would have to shut down everything and start over."

You do raise a question that beg for a rational answer....

Why should members of congress benefit from such as premium level health care insurance and other scandalously high benefits they harvest from the public trough, just because they are part of what they come view as being 'the elected royalty'....rather than 'public servants'?

Members of congress have the same health insurance options as all other federal employees: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308378,00.html

And as a former federal employee, I can tell you that these options are not "premium level."

They do get a great deal in the way of travel benefits and, for long-term members, retirement packages. But the biggest benefit they get is access to extraordinarily lucrative jobs with lobbying firms and government contractors after they leave congress.

Per http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/health-care-for-members-of-congress/

"In addition, members of Congress also qualify for some medical benefits that ordinary federal workers do not. They (but not their families) are eligible to receive limited medical services from the Office of the Attending Physician of the U.S. Capitol, after payment of an annual fee ($491in 2007). But services don't include surgery, dental care or eyeglasses, and any prescriptions must be filled at the member's expense.

House and Senate members (but not their families) also are eligible to receive care at military hospitals. For outpatient care, there is no charge at the Washington, D.C., area hospitals (Walter Reed Army Medical Center and National Naval Medical Center). Inpatient care is billed at rates set by the Department of Defense."

Per <broken link removed>
Members who have participated in the congressional pension system are vested after 5 years of service. A full pension is available to Members 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age.

and
"The average annuity for retired Members, as of 1998, was either $50,616 [for those that retired under CSRS] or $46,908 [for Members that retired under FERS]. However, these averages don't take into account any additional funds these Members may have also accrued through investments in the Thrift Savings Plan described above"

And <broken link removed>

Must be a great union...pretty good benefit for 5 years on-the-job....

Just Jim, it certainly would be nice to start over.

I propose we go back to the Constitution with the common law. We have had over 200 years of lawmakers "improving" things by adding more laws (aka redistribution of our rights to others). Further, we have had 200 years of the Supreme Court allowing our rights granted in the Constitution, as well as more fundamental "Natural Rights", to be taken. Sometimes, it appears as if the USSCt has gone along willingly, sometimes they've been coerced to a degree. But in the end, our rights have been eroded.

I long for the Constitution, individual rights, and independent "can do" mentality of 200 years ago. I pray that my children will see such a day, and I pray that we'll get there peacefully and without great pain.

Per http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/health-care-for-members-of-congress/

"In addition, members of Congress also qualify for some medical benefits that ordinary federal workers do not. They (but not their families) are eligible to receive limited medical services from the Office of the Attending Physician of the U.S. Capitol, after payment of an annual fee ($491in 2007). But services don’t include surgery, dental care or eyeglasses, and any prescriptions must be filled at the member’s expense.

House and Senate members (but not their families) also are eligible to receive care at military hospitals. For outpatient care, there is no charge at the Washington, D.C., area hospitals (Walter Reed Army Medical Center and National Naval Medical Center). Inpatient care is billed at rates set by the Department of Defense."

Per <broken link removed>
Members who have participated in the congressional pension system are vested after 5 years of service. A full pension is available to Members 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age.

and
"The average annuity for retired Members, as of 1998, was either $50,616 [for those that retired under CSRS] or $46,908 [for Members that retired under FERS]. However, these averages don't take into account any additional funds these Members may have also accrued through investments in the Thrift Savings Plan described above"

And http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0E,*PLC8"@

Must be a great union...pretty good benefit for 5 years on-the-job....

Five years vesting if they're age 62 or older. I don't see anything in there that's really outrageous. My medical benefits for myself and my wife are arguably better than what Congress gets, and it only costs me a small co-pay. As mentioned earlier where they benefit are the career opportunities they have available when they leave public service. But they put in their efforts to get there, and more power to 'em if they want to live like that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top