JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20190117_182147.jpg 20190119_080629.jpg Last week I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought my son a 870 20ga, I'll use it too, and I never like how the wood stocks come from the factory. This includes 10-22s, I always strip them down and refinish them because they have nice looking wood grain underneath the cheap painted on factory coating.
My go to process starts with citristrip which is now available in a spray can. The initial coating takes off the small amount of clear coat and I scrape it off with a aggressive black scotch-brite pad. Spray it again and remove the stain.
I wipe it all off with a rag and hot water. Let it dry a bit, then use a sponge brush to apply the Varathane in "special walnut".
It took quite a few coats to get the look I wanted, I then use a matte finish clear coat in a spray can. I applied about 4 coats of that, turned the heater on in the garage and left it to hang overnight. I rub it down again with a softer scotch-brite pad to smooth it out.
I think it's an improvement, my son is happy with it too. I hope you guys are inspired to do a little of the same on one or more of your own guns.

Taking a stock firearm and doing little things like the re-working of a stock to make it fit or look better to you , is a fun and easy way to get more enjoyment out of a gun.

Be advised though that any modification done to a firearm will affect its resell or trade value , usually downward , no matter how nice it looks or how much better it works.
Andy

That is quite the weird finish from the factory, and whilst i do think the result is considerably better, personally i would have liked a little darker of a finish.
Good job.

I tried to make it darker but it didn't seem to want to soak up the stain so I called it good.

That is quite the weird finish from the factory, and whilst i do think the result is considerably better, personally i would have liked a little darker of a finish.
Good job.

Be advised though that any modification done to a firearm will affect its resell or trade value , usually downward , no matter how nice it looks or how much better it works.
Andy
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Definitely true for collector items, which are rare by definition. Anything of collector value must be like-new with original parts.

Generally untrue for low cost / lower value firearms. I've had a few over the years where modest improvements improve the operational functioning and/or looks - that can increase the otherwise low value.

Middle of the road guns, maybe so, maybe no.

OP didn't mention what he paid, but the Remington 870-20 ga from Sportsmans Warehouse had a black Friday sale for $230 a year ago after a factory rebate - at that price point, it doesn't much matter if you want to 'tinker'.

Definitely true for collector items, which are rare by definition. Anything of collector value must be like-new with original parts.

Generally untrue for low cost / lower value firearms. I've had a few over the years where modest improvements improve the operational functioning and/or looks - that can increase the otherwise low value.

OP didn't mention what he paid, but the Remington 870-20 ga from Sportsmans Warehouse had a black Friday sale for $230 a year ago after a factory rebate - at that price point, it doesn't much matter if you want to 'tinker'.

As I said in my post which was quoted ..."Usually".
In my experience in buying , selling and trading...even with "low cost " or "middle of the road" guns...any mods will affect the value of the gun....and a mod is only worthwhile to buyer , if he likes it....
Andy

It was $299 with a mail in rebate for a tactical backpack that I'll give to my son as well.

Andy, I'll go with that.

It's easy enough to dump lots of $$$ into an AR, or Glock or 1911 that you'll never recover, (from experience), but I've also had inexpensive shotguns and 1911s that after I put a little time and effort into with spare parts and finishes - were worth considerably more than I paid. Your mileage may vary.

Point was in the context of this thread, if you buy low and put effort into it, get some enjoyment from it, then later can recover your costs, it's all good.

A bit similar to the OP's situation, I bought a functional older Mossberg 20 GA with crappy wood, replaced the stock and fore-end with one of their newer camo setups off eBay both inexpensively (all for my son) and he loves it. He had practically no interest before with the crappy wood when it was an eyesore.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads