JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a new 10/22 takedown. Love this thing. I have wanted one for a long time and finally found a new one under $300. I went to shoot it at 50 yards. I was high and right on my targets. Went to the 15 yard line and I was hitting almost on point. My question is will an optic of some kind help me? Can I work with the iron sights to get it to hit point of aim? Any info would be great. I really like this gun.

IMG_20170812_125150915_HDR.jpg

So I picked up a new 10/22 takedown. Love this thing. I have wanted one for a long time and finally found a new one under $300. I went to shoot it at 50 yards. I was high and right on my targets. Went to the 15 yard line and I was hitting almost on point. My question is will an optic of some kind help me? Can I work with the iron sights to get it to hit point of aim? Any info would be great. I really like this gun.

View attachment 383641
Nice little rifles, Wife just bought one and loves it. As to POA vs POI, yes it can be worked on. 1st though are you sure it's the sights? As in did you try it off a solid rest first? I always ask this because too often someone does not do this before they start messing with sights.
So the rifle should have come with a 1913 rail and it's drilled and tapped. Assuming your's is like mine the rail will be kind of in the way of the sights though once mounted. Wife wanted one on her's and I found it made the sights hard to use. Really needs higher sights to use the rail. On Wife's I put a dot sight on it. If she decides she wants to be able to use both I will get different sights. So for you just mount the rail and try an optic, either scope or dot. Should be fine. This is assuming nothing is wrong with the gun.

Really? That sucks. Well I wish the stock sights had better adjustment.

They (Ruger) and others do this for a reason. There is a small percentage of the shooting public who want to pay for sights that cost 5, 10 or more times what the very rudimentary sights on there run. For the majority of the public who buy a 10/22 they are fine. Many are going to put a scope of some kind on them. It's why Ruger long ago started sending them out drilled and tapped instead on the old style rib. The nice thing about all things Ruger is they make them by the boat load. That means everyone who makes after market makes stuff for Ruger. So those who want something better have a huge market to choose from.
Now as far as the difference when you put the barrel back on it may well be very slight. Try a scope of your choice first, see how it does. For most the difference will not even be noticeable enough for them to care. Only thing that concerns me is the rifle shooting to the right at 50 but on point at 15. Hopefully that was just hold. If it is sending rounds off right Ruger may need it back. Most likely though slap your favorite optic on it and it will do all you want. After all no one is expecting to try to make a "match grade" shooter out of one of these. After all they are sold as a back pack fun gun. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Skinner Sights makes a barrel mounted peep sight specifically for the 10/22 takedown. On my standard non-takedown 10/22, I have a Hawke 2-7X32 adjustable objective scope in a Weigand Combat Integra one piece mount, works great for me.

Skinner Sights:
Ruger Firearms

Weigand Integra scope mount:
Ruger 10/22 scope mount Weaver Picatinny WEIG-A-TINNY®

Edited to reflect the Skinner barrel mount peep sights will work with the Ruger 10/22 take down or any 10/22. They are made however to work with the take down. They also make a receiver mounted peep sight for the 10/22 and take down as well.

Last Edited:
That Skinner is a handsome sight. If I had a prettier gun I might consider it. I had a Thompson Center .22lr Semi auto rifle it would have looked good on.
But for my takedown I just put Tech Sights on mine and I've been very happy with them.

That Skinner is a handsome sight. If I had a prettier gun I might consider it. I had a Thompson Center .22lr Semi auto rifle it would have looked good on.
But for my takedown I just put Tech Sights on mine and I've been very happy with them.

Tech Sights are very robust and nice looking as well. Nice choice.:s0155:

Went back out to the range today to tinker with my 10/22 because I didn't realize there was a set screw on the receiver to make it a tight fit. I was still hitting right of center the top target of ten rounds is from about 7-10 yards and the bottom is about 15 yards. at 25 I was way rights but the grouping is good. I'm planning on trying those skinner sights I would like to be close to being on at 50 yards so I can maybe use it for grouse this year.
IMG_20170818_105720474_HDR.jpg

Went back out to the range today to tinker with my 10/22 because I didn't realize there was a set screw on the receiver to make it a tight fit. I was still hitting right of center the top target of ten rounds is from about 7-10 yards and the bottom is about 15 yards. at 25 I was way rights but the grouping is good. I'm planning on trying those skinner sights I would like to be close to being on at 50 yards so I can maybe use it for grouse this year.
View attachment 384769

Drift your rear sight the direction you wish to move your shots, in this case drift it to the left a little bit. Front sight gets drifted opposite the direction you wish to move your shots. But try the rear sight first.

I just ordered some skinner sights for my Marlin 39A. Really looking forward to using them, even though I know I may need to order a taller front sight. You won't because your peep will be on the barrel.

View attachment 384769
That's actually good. It means it's just the sights are off a little. Easy fix as another poster mentioned. Just drift one of them until you get the new sights. These are some VERY fun little rifles, enjoy. Looking forward to hearing how you like the Skinner sights too. Those look like a great addition to these guns.

Went back to the range today and took my punch and a hammer to drift the rear sight. And I was good to go with a few taps. I'll still change the sights but at least I can have fun with the stock sights.
IMG_20170820_155448693.jpg

Went back to the range today and took my punch and a hammer to drift the rear sight. And I was good to go with a few taps. I'll still change the sights but at least I can have fun with the stock sights.
View attachment 385357
Great that it was such a simple fix!! Post some pics of the new sights when you get them on. Very much like to see how they look on the little rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top