JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never thought I would be asking this question, but I have so little experience with the new assortment of small polymer guns.

I am thinking of buying a Ruger LCP for a friend for x-mas. When I was looking today a local shop owner said I might want to look at the Taurus TCP. He says Taurus really got this little gun right.

I am not a fan of Taurus but thought I would solicit some more informed opinions about these two relatively new gun.

So, what do you think? Should I consider the TCP?

738SS_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of the TCP, great little gun, I purchased two on them A stainless one and there new black stainless one. Both have performed right our of the box with out any issue. I have about 500 rounds through mine with out a single issue.

IMO the trigger on the TCP is soooooo much nicer than the LCP and I also think it is easier to get a grip on and the slide locks back after the last round is fired.

Andy

Only experience I have is fondling at gun shows, both feel like pocket pistols, not exactly a perfect fit. The slide on the Taurus stays back after the last shot and this appears to be the big selling point vs. Ruger if that is a feature you want. I believe the taurus is also about $30-50 bucks cheaper than the LCP.

I'm a huge Ruger fan, but when I went to buy something like this for my daughter, the TCP won me over.
Pick them both up, pull the trigger.
The Taurus impressed me not only with the trigger pull, but the gun just felt better in my hand. Like it was better finished. Less rough edges and it seemed like I could get a better grip on it than the Ruger. I paid $299 for it at Fisherman's. That was a fair amount less than I saw a Ruger for, too.

After researching, and handling each.. The TCP was my wifes choice. Trigger feel hands down beats the Rugers trigger feel.

It runs great although we haven't gotten through the full recommended break-in of 200 rounds. (halfway there). It does FTE a spent cartridge occationally, but we aren't going to sweat it until its gone through the break-in.

I personally prefer the Ruger LCP. I have a couple of them with Crimson Trace laser sights on them and they have both performed flawlessly (only 1 FTE out of over 1000 rounds down the pipe) regardless of what ammo I have thrown at them. I have a good friend who bought an TCP at the same time I got my first LCP and it has been back to Ruger 5 times now for FTE (cant make it thru 1 clip without FTE), different clips, different ammo, same thing. Might be 6 times, we are heading to the range Tuesday.

I have seen other posting also saying just the opposite that there have been identical LCP issues. I think that sometimes you just get one that has issues, both Ruger and Taurus are fine guns.

Two things I do like more about the Taurus TCP over my Ruger LCP is, 1. - The slide locks back after the last bullet is ejected (LCP does not do this) and 2. - I like the feel of the TCP trigger pull better then my LCP.

If I was going to purchase either one of these again, I would buy another LCP, just personal preference. I think anyone would be happy with either one. Good Luck to ya!

- G

I still can't bring myself to buy another Taurus product. I've owned and broke too many and had to fix too many for other people. They may very well make a good product, but in my personal and professional experience, their quality control sucks. I'm just afraid I'd get a lemon...
So it would be the LCP for me...

I still can't bring myself to buy another Taurus product. I've owned and broke too many and had to fix too many for other people. They may very well make a good product, but in my personal and professional experience, their quality control sucks. I'm just afraid I'd get a lemon...
So it would be the LCP for me...

Made a few 'good price' purchases and sold them shortly after
Never have liked Taurus' action on any of their guns,myself

Most folks have very biased opinions, (especially) including me.

In my experiences with Taurus, (and Rossi), with the exception of their 1911, I have found them all to be second-rate. I would expect to never own one, ever again. I will be the first to say, however, that I have some very experienced, very knowledgable folks around me that would disagree with me, as they've had more favorable experiences with these imported guns.

So...For arguments sake, assuming the Taurus is as good as the Ruger, I would buy the American-made Ruger for no other reason than it's not imported. And, for the record, I've owned two LCP's, and I know other folks that own them. They are what they are. A tiny little gun that can be with you when other guns can't. I have never seen or experienced a failure of any kind, with any LCP.

Your mileage may vary.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top