JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't speak for their TCP model but two out of three of my previous Taurus models had to go back for warranty. While at a gun show a guy was showing me his Taurus (not sure what model but was a single stack 9mm of some sort), he racked the slide and I watched a part fly off the gun :huh: It turned out to be the roll pin that holds the extractor assembly in place. :eek: FWIW, I don't own any Taurus guns anymore but I did recently pick up a Ruger LCP.

Don't get me wrong I am not some right wing die hard Taurus fan,I have owned a couple and sold them for some of the reasons listed above. I just like the TCP over the other pocket .380 with the exception of maybe the Kahr. And being American made is a plus in my book.

Well then, I stand corrected. That is a good thing.

Who makes this gun for Taurus? Or, do they now have facilities here?

Enlighten me.:confused:

WAYNO.

Because of the ban on the importation of "Saturday night specials" back in the late 60's there was a vacuum left over due to the desire for people to own really cheap, low quality pistols you could fit into your pocket. Out of this need arose the "ring of fire" firearm manufacturers and those cheap pocket pistols we all have but don't admit their fun as heck to shoot. Anyway, whenever you see a really small, pocket pistol including the .380's and .22's it's probably made in the USA even if it's from a foreign manufacturer.

Because of the ban on the importation of "Saturday night specials" back in the late 60's there was a vacuum left over due to the desire for people to own really cheap, low quality pistols you could fit into your pocket. Out of this need arose the "ring of fire" firearm manufacturers and those cheap pocket pistols we all have but don't admit their fun as heck to shoot. Anyway, whenever you see a really small, pocket pistol including the .380's and .22's it's probably made in the USA even if it's from a foreign manufacturer.

The TCP has "Made in USA" right on the frame. I did a little digging, and was unable to find out, if it was only the frame that was made in the USA, or if parts were made elsewhere, and shipped here for assembly.

Here is what my 7 shot .357 Taurus did one day. I'm fine, they mailed me a new gun which upon reciept I traded for a Ruger.

Where you shooting factory rounds?

I spent the night last night looking up reviews of the TCP and LCP. In all th reviews I did not see any substantial difference regarding failures of the guns. I only found one extensive review that actually was unfavorable. The guy was having multiple FTF and FTE issues. I was starting to be concerned until he added that he knew the ammo was not the issue because he handloaded it himself. Pocket pistols and reloads do not go well together.

I have experience with a couple Tauruses. Aside from the revolver which functioned great, the 2 Taurus Millennium pistols I have shot were huge failures first trip out. The first one would drop the mag every shot and had to go back and the second one the recoil spring would pop out the front of the slide and it didn't matter how it was installed in the slide, it also had to go back also for warranty repair.

If this is going to be used for concealed carry, it needs several hundred rounds through it before being put into use. I wouldn't bet my life on Taurus factory new quality.

Can you buy a better quality 380, sure you can. As a matter of fact I own two that are far better then either of these, but if I had to pick between the TCP or the LCP it would be the TCP.. I have shot both and they operated flawlessly, but I like the feel of the TCP and the fact that the side locks after last shot to speed the loading of the next clip is a bonus. Then take into consideration that if you do have a problem Taurus has the lifetime warranty and amazing customer service.

I have many weapons of most premium brands ie no High Point type brands. Sorry if anyone is offended. I have Ruger rifles,Blackhawk pistols,mkII,22/45, LCP,etc. For Taurus I have a 605,606,608, Tracker 44mag, Judge 3in mag,etc. Now to my point the Rugers are older & have had more use but,I have never had a issue to send them for service. My last three Taurus weapons have had to go in for service multiple times out of the box. I even sent a detailed note & photos explaining the problems yet they would state in the report you get with the fixed weapon that they fixed, replaced or adjusted something that was not in need of attention. Of course the original problems still existed. The first of the three guns went two times & the problem was as close to being fixed as they seem capable of. The second went three times & it too was as close to being fixed as I could hope for. The third went five times & even went through their gunsmith managment review. Still it was as close as I could get from this group of people handling the firearms. The reason I just finally accepted these guns is all of the back & forth shipping & the gunsmith handling wear made them look like several people had owned & neglected them & should be at the pawnshop for sale at about $150 each. I talked to customer service about the wear & tear and was told by everyone up to the managment it was not covered but, I could send it back in if I wanted to. These weapons will never be used in a life or death situation. The range is all I trust them for. By the way I had to use S&W customer svc once for a problem less urgent & they just replaced the whole firearm. I will not be as quick to purchase a Taurus in the future as I was in the past.

As a gun dealer I personally own a ruger LCP, I bought it for my wife, of course, but I have enjoyed it alot. I havent personally dealt with the taurus tcp model but I will say that taurus has moved past the stygma that use to surround taurus guns. They are really putting out a good product now. I think the nay-sayers are just people who cant let go of old rumors about bad weapons. I will say the taurus is about 60 cheaper then the ruger, at least it should be because my prices are.

i would take the tcp over the lcp. LCP is just a keltec that costs more. I had nothing but jams with the LCP. My wifes tcp has never had any problems.

I am waiting for a body guard to come in so i can check it out. but i think the price point of them is too high.

also, i believe taurus has a life time warranty.not to shabby with today's manufacturers.

A lifetime warranty is no good if its constantly needed. If a company makes a great product with good quality control, then they offer a lifetime warranty to catch the few stragglers that fall through the cracks. Unfortunately, the cracks at Taurus seem to be the size of the Grand Canyon.

They seem to be a fairly innovative company. Some of their models are very intriguing. If they were made by another company with better quality, I would probably own several. But I do not fancy buying a gun simply so I can spend a year dealing with the "great customer service" at Taurus to get it to run properly.

Go with the LCP. It's not perfect, but the quality control is better. You may get a lemon, but its less likely than with a Taurus...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top