JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From another forum. Guy buys used reloading equipment, components and finds some .38 Special reloads in the mix and decides to shoot them - well he made it to # 2 anyway. He mentioned there was Bullseye powder in the stuff he bought and suspects a double charge.
ss.jpg

ss.jpg

One of the reasons I select powders that can't be easily double charged...That WAS a nice security six. I wonder what the outcome would have been in a GP100 since they are a bit stouter

Funny thing is, this can even happen with factory ammo, it's just more likely with reloads.

One thing I always do is keep a "pull bucket" anything that is questionable, goes in the pull bucket. No matter what, once something is in there, it's going to get pulled, never shot.

Maybe that is why those loads were in with the equipment in the first place. The only reloads I would trust would be from a member on this site (John H)

I weigh each powder charge and then immediately seat the bullet. Resulting in almost no possibly way to cause a double charge. Since I only every have one casing in my hand at a time. I would have to set the case down in order to throw a second charge into the pan and then trickle it up to perfect. Before putting the funnel into the case and pouring the second charge in on top. Takes more time. Results in amazing uniformity, And I have never had a Squib or double charge. Been reloading 44 years now.

Just a thought here,couldn't you weigh the reloaded rounds to make sure they are uniform and weigh they same as a factory counterpart?
Pull a bullet and check the grain,then the powder charge,case,and then check the rest.

Just a thought here,couldn't you weigh the reloaded rounds to make sure they are uniform and weigh they same as a factory counterpart?
Pull a bullet and check the grain,then the powder charge,case,and then check the rest.

works somewhat with rifle rounds, doesn't work at all with pistol, there's too much variation in case/bullet/primer to really let you know the difference.

My guess is that these were loads that the seller just didn't get around to pulling themselves. If it was an estate sale, the original party wasn't around to warn anyone that these were his "boo-boo's".

If I ever buy repackaged powder or unknown reloads in a "lot" from an estate sale or the like, the powder fertilizes the lawn and the ammo is pulled down for components. I might reuse the primers by not depriming the case.

One of the reasons I select powders that can't be easily double charged...That WAS a nice security six. I wonder what the outcome would have been in a GP100 since they are a bit stouter
If it was a double charge of Bullseye, I don't think even a Freedom Arms single action would have contained it, although one might have. That was one beefy revolver and was reputed to be able to withstand some major pressure.

I got just shy of 100 beautiful match .308 handloads in a trade along with some brass and bullets. I'm not really excited to try them out... Should I be worried for my kinetic puller?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top