JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your friends are Classic Liberals I'd think they'd be open to hearing about it, if their closed minded to your concerns, can you really call them friends...?

No, there's some that might be receptive, i think it's all about contextualizing it the right way from person to person. I have plans on eventually inviting some people to the range, and sticking to just having some fun at first, no political talk until afterwards if they're interested in that. It's a delicate dance i think, and takes some real finesse.

Welcome from the North side of the river. Good intro. I have talked to many people
like you that were raised with total negative gun beliefs and were converted. I have
friends/acquaintances that are Democrat, Independent and Libertarian beliefs but are
closeted gun owners. Some are ashamed or apologist about being a gun owner.:eek:
We all need to come out of the closet to friends and acquaintances to promote and
protect are 2A rights. Take a non gun owning friend shooting.:rolleyes: Common sense and
facts are on our side. Good to have you here brother.:):p:D

:s0101: Well said Ron.;)

Hello. You will find you can learn a lot here.

As for teaching others, I would suggest starting with what they already know or think they know. Example, "There should be a law against _______." "That actually is already against the law and has been since _____. If fact it has been found that..."

Many are surprised when they find that own guns and my reasons have opened the eyes of many teenagers.

Welcome aboard! Glad you have seen the light finally, so to speak!
@Stomper absolutely nailed it, always sage advice BTW, take your time with those around you, and keep true to your beliefs! Those who can learn and see past the blinders might be worthy of your friendship, and those closed off to the truth might not be healthy to be around! Tread carefully with those in the middle, those might be our biggest allies!

Without exception, every single one of the literally HUNDREDS of people that I have introduced to shooting real bang bullet-firing boom gun things have been SO excited and happy to be able to actually SHOOT the darn thing that not one has ever asked me what my political or religious affiliations might be.

Nor have I ever felt the need to ask THEM the same questions before I put any of my guns into their eager hands.

Here we have no problem sorting out politics from guns. We've been stiffed, severely, by both major political parties over the years, and although there ARE shooters in all of the three main political parties, such is the antipathy to shooting sports, and lack of understanding, that the subject is not mentioned in government unless some crackpot comes up with yet another ripping wheeze to reduce our sports even more. The latest one is the registration of ALL antique firearms, because a number of antique cartridge-firing handguns have been used to commit crimes. I think that it mainly involves the use of a couple of S&W .44 Russian revolvers. that's right.

Two of 'em.

Ah, hold on, that's a criminal act, and therefore those people must have been criminals, right? Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law, so registration won't make the slightest difference.

Just stay calm and never hold what may become a heated discussion with more than one person.:rolleyes:
You don't want anyone getting behind you.:eek:
Tactics and awareness.:D

Thanks, i really appreciate the advice. I've definitely been in numerous situations with friends and co-workers where the subject turns to guns after a shooting and i have to decide to either hold my tongue or try to interject with a small bit of contrary opinion just to keep it sane.

Thanks, i really appreciate the advice. I've definitely been in numerous situations with friends and co-workers where the subject turns to guns after a shooting and i have to decide to either hold my tongue or try to interject with a small bit of contrary opinion just to keep it sane.

I only have friends who share my two main interests - gun and trains. I got my BIL into trains, too. See Youtube - tac's guns and tac's trains. Do NOT omit the apostrophe, 'kay?

Life is a journey, and what makes us who we are will change many times along it.

My 20yo self would say hey that guy is just like me. :)

Welcome to the forum, live long and prosper...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top