JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all!

I have never owned a .45, but the 1911 bug has bitten me. I did fire one in the Army during basic, but by the time I got to my duty post, they had switched to 9mm.

I own a pair of 9mms, Ruger P-series (85 and 94), and a couple .380s, but this will by my first big bore handgun.

I am thinking of starting with a RIA GI 1911A1 Mil Spec. I can get one for about $400 with 1 mag. I know it has fixed sights (so did the Army pistols), but is that a big deal? I know getting a 1911 can be expensive, but I can't break the bank right now. I also looked at the Springfield Mil Spec, but it is about $150 more, and I am not sure what justifies that price increase.

Anyone with personal experience with RIA or Springfield's Mil Spec want to chime in? Any other 'entry level' 1911s I should be considering?

Any and all help, opinions, advice is appreciated.
Chris

I never shot a RIA but the Springfield is an excellent 1911. I now own only 3 different 1911's, but over the years I have bought and sold over a dozen different 1911s. I started with a G.I. model but after shooting one a bit, I needed a beaver tail grip safety for better comfort and control. The better grip safety makes a big difference. Than upgrading parts for better trigger pull and accuracy. In hind sight I would have been better of saving a few more bucks and purchase a 1911 that already has these features. Today we have so many excellent 1911's to choose from. I like the Sgringfields and the Kimbers.

Both good starter platforms in basic models and really no difference other than the name on the side. I have the RIA Tactical and a SA TRP both are good guns but the RIA are more bang for the buck.

I have 8 1911s now (yes, it's a problem I know, but a boy has to have a vice), and I like my RIA. I think you'll like it too. There are other good ones in that price range, but the RIA a good choice. You aren't going to impress the boys at the range with it, but my sense is that you're not looking to do that anyway.

If they were the same price, I'd go for the Springer. But I think you'll like the RIA just fine. You can always move up later if you want to, and you may never want to.

You aren't going to impress the boys at the range with it, but my sense is that you're not looking to do that anyway.

You hit the 10 ring there! I want it to go boom every time, I want it to hit paper appx where I aim (I am sure it will be more accurate than I am), and if necessary, I want it to make big holes in a bad guy. Sounds like RIA may be the right choice. Now, do I go tactical or Mil Spec?

Just looked that one up, read a few reviews, that may be a winner! I like the look of that one. Now, who sells it in Washington State? Preferably in the Tacoma area? Or am I going to have to find it online?
Thanks for the help!
Chris

I read that thread, it had some beautiful photos, and alot of folks showing higer end models mostly. I can't drop $700 right now.

Wait until you can. It will minimize the disappointment factor. What makes more sense, buying something with all the features you want, or going cheap and spending more money to put them on there yourself? Been there, done that. Fight the urge, save more coin.

Knowing they never shoot anyhting but high dollar 1911's, I handed my Springfield G.I A1 to one of these guys.

"Im really surprised, that shoots and feels really nice"

It hits what you aim at, runs smooth and no sharp edges. I can recommend these for a great entry level 1911.

I bought the R.I.A. .45 about 6 months ago.(I normally shoot H&K handguns).. it has the very basic sights on it, sounds like the same one you are looking into. I have ran around 200 rounds thru it so far . at first it had a few stovepipes. but now it runs flawless.(break-in?) if its the same one you are looking at, watch out for the beavertail.. the one on mine bites! i got a scar on the web of my hand from it biting. its pretty accurate, and feels good in the hand. much more comfortable ccw than a H&K
I bought the ria to see if i wanted to get into the 1911 type handgun, I think it is my favorite carry at this time. If i would have known how much i was going to like it, I would have saved my money and bought something on the higher end with combat sights cool guy rail, a better beavertail, ambi safety etc...

Sigh...so many choices! It'd be nice to shoot 1 or 2 before making a purchase. Unfortunatly, no one I know owns a 1911, so I have to pretty much rely on reviews and owner opinions.

lots of 1911s out there just buy one that fits your budget, try not to go nuts making it into a custom. leave it bone stock and it will work every time. once started mods can be problematic. buy some good quality ball ammo in bulk and go have fun.

btw I like the springfield guns, but, that's just me.

I've been all around the platforms starting with a colt full size series 80, then going to springfrield, kimber and wilson, after much money spent, I settled down with a kimber tle/rl 2 and a colt commander series 80, both are bulleyes shooters from 50 feet. If you want a pistol that has it all, a nice kimber custom 2 will fit your liking.

The downside to fixed sights on those entry level 1911's is that you can't swap them out for sights that offer better/faster target accusition or night sights. Check them out...they have very small/short sights but I guess you could get used to anything. Its not really personal preferance thing either because I don't think anyone would argue that they are "not made for performance"

However, I think its cool you can virtually turn that basic model into anything you want if your willing to buy the upgrades later...including the slide

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top