JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It sounds as it is in the language of the bill..... should of said NHP will conduct BGC using the FBI database system.

This sound right?
Precisely. You can only go direct to NICS if your state doesn't do the checks. Nevada does and they USE NICS but they contract with the FBI to do it. The wording bypasses the state agency for person to person transfers so the FBI doesn't get paid through the contract.

That is my reading. A state does not have power to force federal entities to do work for them without a contract to pay for it first.

This is a rookie mistake in drafting the bill. Someone should have thought of this. OTOH it's pretty funny to watch.

Is it possible the FBI which does BGC for licensed dealers does not have the capacity to add all the Private firearms sales to their system. If you think about it as state would move to adopt the Private sales BGC requirement. The work load for NICS would explode. I could easily see that in some states there could be 20% to 25% (and it could be more) as many private sales as sales through dealers. Can you imagine the increased work load if the BGC's increased over 20% Thats one heck of a lot more work.

I
Is it possible the FBI which does BGC for licensed dealers does not have the capacity to add all the Private firearms sales to their system. If you think about it as state would move to adopt the Private sales BGC requirement. The work load for NICS would explode. I could easily see that in some states there could be 20% to 25% (and it could be more) as many private sales as sales through dealers. Can you imagine the increased work load if the BGC's increased over 20% Thats one heck of a lot more work.
ts like a date you're supposed to ask before hopping on.

After the required time period, no reason they can't amend it to be the same as Oregon laws. Just require that all sales go through a FFL, and allow them to charge for it.

They are already using their State Police for the background checks so there should be no increased cost that isn't absorbed by fees for the transfers.

This is only a temporary setback for them. The only upside is if there is enough opposition to the amendment and the whole thing gets erased.

Last Edited:
I don't know the ins and outs of ballot initiatives, but I'm rather surprised that the liberals allowed it to get this far without review. Perhaps we should take a lesson from this if we are going to try to put forth initiatives. Make sure it's enforceable before it gets too far.

I assume that Nevada's state police have nothing to do with the background checks and the dealers just go straight to the FBI. Now, I doubt that the FBI just said they won't do it out of nowhere, somebody probably got in touch with them, pointed it out, and convinced them it was a waste of resources. Somebody should try it again for Washington, and Oregon too if it's true that OSP is just a middle man and it uses the FBI too.
I'm guessing the FBI sees this as a trend they can't support.
It could be if you got hold of the proper person it would help in WA. The WSP has nothing to do with checks,the sheriffs are in charge of that.
Maybe since OR has the OSP do the checks the FBI can't deny them?
Everyone in government in each state has to be some what in agreement over an issue like this for it to work. If there is enough sheriffs that don't like it that would put a hitch in the giddyup.
WA and OR have too many working for gun control so these things work

From what I read there are two sorts of states. One class does no work and NICS does the check. the other, like Oregon and Nevada, who do the checks through the state police with access to more info than NICS.

A state must be one or the other but can't be both.

Since Nevada is one of the latter states, all requests have to go through the existing channel and the law was written to bypass the existing channel. That is just a non starter for the Feds.

Absolute rookie mistake when they wrote the proposition.

Sort of like it was written out of state by a New York millionaire tgat knows what's best for everyone.

WA has 594 that passed what 2 year's ago guess how many people have had charges filed against them and arrested for breaking the law LOL last I checked or heard 1 person in Spokane

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top