Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Nevada to Oregon sales or vice versa

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by roguebowhunter, Jan 4, 2013.

1. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

A buddy of mine says he recieved something from NRA stating that adjacent states (to NV) can purchase long guns and cross the border with them. I have not heard this so I'm seeing if anyone else has ?? Thanks for the input .. Don

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

You can buy a long gun from an FFL in an adjacent state and bring it back. Feds don't have a restriction there but OR does limiting it to adjacent states.

FTF sales with someone from another state are prohibited.

3. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

It's funny, but here is a post in reply to you a few months ago :

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...ate-take-back-while-traveling.html#post664305

4. drew

The USC referenced still exists albeit in a changed form. I'm not sure if that counts as repealed or rescinded. I know TX updated a similar state law but I don't believe it had the wording making it's existence dependent on the USC. This law probably should be updated.

It's grey enough for me that I didn't try to buy a rifle from a dealer in Montana. I'm not a person who wants to be a trial case.

Funny? You laughing? :)

5. fd15k

I don't see any grey area. FFL is the safeguard in this case:

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

Besides, when in doubt, they can always make a quick call to the ATF and double check on legality of a particular sale. As you know, with ATF's permission it's even okay to sell guns to the drug cartels :D

6. fourwinds

fourwinds Northwest Member

Years ago my buddy and I were working in Alaska.
    I bought him a rem 700 in 22/250.
    for a gift.
    checked it in, put it on the plane. No problems
    and that was after 9/11

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

OK, now THAT'S funny right thar! (sorta) ;)

8. RW-Ore

RW-Ore Oregon Well-Known Member

I bought about five long guns in Colorado a while back while I was working there , no problems.

9. drew

Maybe I've been overly paranoid about this. :)

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  10. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

I know most OR ffls won't sell to CA residents because of the waiting period down there ... so maybe thats why i was thinking that there was a problem with it . thanks for your input ...Don

11. fd15k

That's correct. Federal law allows FFL's to sell long guns to residents of other states only if both states allow it. California law requires that all sales to CA residents go via FFL in California. One can still make the purchase outside California without taking possession, and have it shipped to an FFL in CA (just like with handguns for everybody else), but then CA DOJ requires that shipments from out of state FFL get an authorization for each such shipment. And then there are of course issues with certain weapon systems being disallowed for possession in CA...

On the bright side, when I was a CA resident, I had C&R license and had no issues buying C&R long guns and handguns in Arizona.