JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy of mine says he recieved something from NRA stating that adjacent states (to NV) can purchase long guns and cross the border with them. I have not heard this so I'm seeing if anyone else has ?? Thanks for the input .. Don

You can buy a long gun from an FFL in an adjacent state and bring it back. Feds don't have a restriction there but OR does limiting it to adjacent states.

FTF sales with someone from another state are prohibited.

You can buy a long gun from an FFL in an adjacent state and bring it back. Feds don't have a restriction there but OR does limiting it to adjacent states.

FTF sales with someone from another state are prohibited.

It's funny, but here is a post in reply to you a few months ago :

I believe that was Oregon's enabling legislation when the federal law allowed out of state purchases only in contiguous states. That restriction has been rescinded in the federal law:

Notes on 18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Notes

(Subsec. (b)(3)(A). Pub. L. 99-308, Sec. 102(4)(B), inserted a new
cl. (A) and struck out former cl. (A) which provided that par. (3)
"shall not apply to the sale or delivery of a rifle or shotgun to a
resident of a State contiguous to the State in which the licensee's
place of business is located if the purchaser's State of residence
permits such sale or delivery by law, the sale fully complies with
the legal conditions of sale in both such contiguous States, and
the purchaser and the licensee have, prior to the sale, or delivery
for sale, of the rifle or shotgun, complied with all of the
requirements of section 922(c) applicable to intrastate
transactions other than at the licensee's business premises,".

The last paragraph of the Oregon law says:

ORS 166.490 - Purchase of firearms in certain other states - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

This section expires and stands repealed upon the date that section 922(b) (3) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(b) (3)) and regulations pursuant thereto are repealed or rescinded. [1969 c.289 §§1,2,3,4]

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...ate-take-back-while-traveling.html#post664305

It's funny, but here is a post in reply to you a few months ago :

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...ate-take-back-while-traveling.html#post664305

The USC referenced still exists albeit in a changed form. I'm not sure if that counts as repealed or rescinded. I know TX updated a similar state law but I don't believe it had the wording making it's existence dependent on the USC. This law probably should be updated.

It's grey enough for me that I didn't try to buy a rifle from a dealer in Montana. I'm not a person who wants to be a trial case.

Funny? You laughing? :)

The USC referenced still exists albeit in a changed form. I'm not sure if that counts as repealed or rescinded. I know TX updated a similar state law but I don't believe it had the wording making it's existence dependent on the USC. This law probably should be updated.

It's grey enough for me that I didn't try to buy a rifle from a dealer in Montana. I'm not a person who wants to be a trial case.

Funny? You laughing? :)

I don't see any grey area. FFL is the safeguard in this case:

shall not
apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a
resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's
place of business is located if the transferee meets in person
with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,
delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of
sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer
or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,
in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual
knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both
States
)

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

Besides, when in doubt, they can always make a quick call to the ATF and double check on legality of a particular sale. As you know, with ATF's permission it's even okay to sell guns to the drug cartels :D

Years ago my buddy and I were working in Alaska.
I bought him a rem 700 in 22/250.
for a gift.
checked it in, put it on the plane. No problems
and that was after 9/11

I don't see any grey area. FFL is the safeguard in this case:

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

Besides, when in doubt, they can always make a quick call to the ATF and double check on legality of a particular sale. As you know, with ATF's permission it's even okay to sell guns to the drug cartels :D

I bought about five long guns in Colorado a while back while I was working there , no problems.

Maybe I've been overly paranoid about this. :)

I know most OR ffls won't sell to CA residents because of the waiting period down there ... so maybe thats why i was thinking that there was a problem with it . thanks for your input ...Don

It's not the wait, it's the ever evolving BS they would have to keep up on if they were to deal that state.

That's correct. Federal law allows FFL's to sell long guns to residents of other states only if both states allow it. California law requires that all sales to CA residents go via FFL in California. One can still make the purchase outside California without taking possession, and have it shipped to an FFL in CA (just like with handguns for everybody else), but then CA DOJ requires that shipments from out of state FFL get an authorization for each such shipment. And then there are of course issues with certain weapon systems being disallowed for possession in CA...

On the bright side, when I was a CA resident, I had C&R license and had no issues buying C&R long guns and handguns in Arizona.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top