JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I work in Nevada a lot and now that my Utah permit isn't recognized 'there' I have to get a Nevada permit. So on Saturday I will take their class at Arms-R-Us Ranch. In the mean time I've been open carrying and locals don't even notice the N-frame revolver hanging on my belt... Tourists, on the other hand, have very wide eyes :s0114:

Nevada requires an 8 hour class, written exam, a shooting qualification and their permit application is 5 pages long! From what I've read, I will be required to shoot from 3, 5, and 7 yards. At 3 yards I will have to shoot 6 rounds with each left and right hand. Longer distances are 12 rounds with any style you prefer. I think I have to score a 252 out of a possible 360 to qualify.

I carry revolvers so will qualify with only one gun. If carrying semiauto, one must qualify with every gun you'll ever carry concealed. Every 3 years, 5 years for residents, I'll have to attend a class to qualify for permit renewal.

This all feels really oppressive after qualifying in Washington by not being a criminal.

I finished my Nevada CCW class today and it was a bit different than I had expected.

Apparently there are minimum requirements for the live fire qualification but individual instructors can require more. At Arms-R-Us we were not required to shoot single handed as I'd read at other instructor's websites. I thought the requirements were ridiculously easy but one shooter failed miserably. :huh:

The written exam was 4 pages of multiple choice and all information had been covered in the class. There were slide shows, videos and demonstrations. At one point I felt like it was more tactics training than a safety class. Usual legal, moral, ethical concerns were all addressed in same manner as in the Utah qualification class.

Unlike the Utah permit, Nevada's permit has to be applied for in person. The Nevada training certificate is accepted by Florida too.

BTW, an interesting tidbit from the class... Nevada limit for drunk driving is 0.08 and for using firearms it's 0.1 so, if splitting hairs, one can be too drunk to drive but sober enough to carry. LOL

This all feels really oppressive after qualifying in Washington by not being a criminal.

I thought the requirements were ridiculously easy but one shooter failed miserably. :huh:

That's a guy who knew the time and place he needed to use his handgun and he still was not up to the challenge. This is why people should have to demonstrate some minimal proficiency with a firearm before they go carrying one in public. If you leave it up to people, you're always going to get some people who are nowhere near ready but believe they are and they will be a liability.

I'm not wild about multiple qualifications but having at least one string of fire to prove you know what you're doing seems like a fair compromise.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top