JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You saw it as pro-Davidian? I agree creative license was used.

I don't know about pro Davidian as much as anti Fed. I will say they tried to invoke maximum sympathy for them. By downplaying the gun charges by making the claim that all they did is fail to secure a $25 permit for thd full autos, to making it seem like they were absolutely planning on surrendering, and that the were trapped inside rather than committing suicide.

Not sure anyone still sucking air knows the truth.

I read a article that said that the producers tried to portray it from both sides not laying blame on either side. I watched it and my take was the way overstretch of the ATF. But then again I'm totally biased and never believed what was told back in 93'. I believe it happened pretty much like what was portrayed in this doc. there own agent tried to stop it and then they thru him under the bus and says he was compromised after telling the truth. Also no real reason to raid the place since the whole reason was because a delivery driver found a case of inert grenades. They were trying to make themselves look useful because the gov. Was considering fazing the ATF out they had already cut their budget after Ruby Ridge fiasco.

Stacy

The movie brings up an important discussion to be had about the 2nd amendment.

Idk about you all in the forum but it seems like talking about civil liberties and prepping (not related to this sub) puts the societal tin foil hat on me. Often times I find myself holding my tongue when I'm engaged in social interactions that involve talking politics or "how we're all surprised about "A" and now we're SOL". I think this documentary brings to light why the 2nd is so important just like COVID brought to light how important maintaining at least a small level of preparation is.

If anyone of you are in a similar boat perhaps when more stuff like this documentary are aired it'll be more "culturally acceptable" to discuss the 2nd and maybe others like the 4th and 6th amendment. The constitution is just as relevant as it is today as it was when it was written.

Hello,

I just finished the Waco series on Netflix and it got me curious about the whole scenario. I was only 3 years old when it happened. the situation was never really explained to me besides the basics. I'm curious if anyone here watched that show and could relate it to what they've observed from interviews and reports. I'm wondering how much of that show is based on what likely happened vs what was most likely give them better ratings.

I'm writing this forum in this sub because I want to focus on the publicity of the matter and have an honest discussion of how Waco, even ruby ridge, pertains to the 2nd. How much of what I'm reading about the situation on the internet is likely true?

Thanks.

For a blow by blow opinion from the time, go and read Jeff Cooper's notes.

If you don't know who Jeff was, start with his biography.

I recommend this as a start -- The first few links worked for me --
waco site:dvc.org.uk/jeff/ at DuckDuckGo

" Jeff also published a monthly newsletter for the Gunsite family called Cooper's Commentaries. They can be read online at the following sites which also have archives of previous issues.

Jeff Cooper's Commentaries

http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/

Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
Site status as of 2008-01-19 "

I binged this over the weekend and it came off very sympathetic to Koresh and the Branch Davidians, not necessarily for their cause but for the ATF/FBI's militaristic attitude and lies. It was very interesting, and kept me engaged through the end. I was 15 when this went down and do remember having a different attitude about the whole thing than I do now. Not because I think Koresh was a "good guy", but because the missteps of the U.S. gov. agencies throughout the years.

Hindsight is 20/20 and there has been years of "monday morning quarterbacking". It was he-said/she-said and reading about things that were covered up, missing evidence and what started the fire. Was it caused by the Branch like was proven in court based off of limited recordings? Or was it accidental due to the way they gassed the place?

It goes to show you how much influence they have in controlling the thoughts of Americans with the "fake news" media.

I thought it was fairly well done for a mainstream show. My understanding is that it was based on a book by one of the people who escaped, and by the FBI negotiator who wasn't able to fully do his job. They also touched on Ruby Ridge (leaving out some bits, but overall matching how I remember things going down at the time). They didn't mention the FLIR footage or allegations of tracer fire at the end, but overall it did not paint the .gov in a good light (a good thing IMO). I think it's worth watching, especially if you didn't live through that time and have only heard the 3 and 4th hand reports.

Last Edited:
What I found interesting was the minimal involvement depicted of Janet Reno, when it happened you would've thought she was at Ruby Ridge and Waco killing kids herself judging by the comments of the anti ATF crowd. Ruby ridge was started by the ATF and finished by an FBI sniper where Waco was started by the ATF with a poor plan of action, a slip shod raid and then finished by the FBI again. This series really kept her out of it except for being the yea or nay vote on the FBI proceeding and that was based on bad info they provided to her. In the end it amounts to overreacting by the ATF and a really charismatic child molester with a Jesus complex. It reminds me of the yahoos at the Malheur bird refuge, nobody planning anything and not many level heads on either side. Play stupid games.....

What I found interesting was the minimal involvement depicted of Janet Reno, when it happened you would've thought she was at Ruby Ridge and Waco killing kids herself judging by the comments of the anti ATF crowd. Ruby ridge was started by the ATF and finished by an FBI sniper where Waco was started by the ATF with a poor plan of action, a slip shod raid and then finished by the FBI again. This series really kept her out of it except for being the yea or nay vote on the FBI proceeding and that was based on bad info they provided to her. In the end it amounts to overreacting by the ATF and a really charismatic child molester with a Jesus complex. It reminds me of the yahoos at the Malheur bird refuge, nobody planning anything and not many level heads on either side. Play stupid games.....

That FBI sniper is Lon Horiuchi, and he straight executed Vickie Weaver. Prior to putting rounds down range at Waco.

That FBI sniper is Lon Horiuchi, and he straight executed Vickie Weaver. Prior to putting rounds down range at Waco.

The second shot intended for Kevin Harris, was proved to not having met the criteria for use of deadly force because, although armed, he was running for cover. Vicki Weaver was unfortunately hit while standing behind the doorway to which Harris was running into the house.

I wouldn't call that an execution as I don't believe Lon Horiuchi intended to kill Vicky Weaver. He definitely should have been convicted of manslaughter though, which he was not.

@Baseacegoku and I discussed this the other day.

I added it to my watch list.

A567335D-2A18-459C-B859-2AFE32EBB4CF.jpeg

I had a large reply written, then deleted it. Suffice to say these events were massive contributing factors to Oklahoma City, and all the events killed many, many children. The feds knew about the potential collateral damage, yet proceeded with a very aggressive stance. While the fed paid out in the case of Weaver, I don't believe they ever owned Waco (they had us all convinced of the things mentioned prior).
I watched the show and left with pretty much the same feelings, except I felt bad for the negotiator. We would be best to remember all these, don't forget Kent State and the like too. I was talking with a few of the younger guys at work and they had no recollection of most of these events, troublesome for sure.

TL;DR, but thought I'd mention, if it wasn't mentioned already.... Amazon had an older series or documentary on Ruby Ridge. It was way more into the events as opposed to the dramatic entertainment.
I see one on there now but I do not know if it was the same one I saw. Whatever one I saw didn't seem to take sides.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top