JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I just finished the Waco series on Netflix and it got me curious about the whole scenario. I was only 3 years old when it happened. the situation was never really explained to me besides the basics. I'm curious if anyone here watched that show and could relate it to what they've observed from interviews and reports. I'm wondering how much of that show is based on what likely happened vs what was most likely give them better ratings.

I'm writing this forum in this sub because I want to focus on the publicity of the matter and have an honest discussion of how Waco, even ruby ridge, pertains to the 2nd. How much of what I'm reading about the situation on the internet is likely true?

Thanks.

As far as publicity, Weaver was painted as a White Supremecist Aryan Nation member. Koresh was depcited as a child molesting monster.
I saw the 10 second previews on Netflix and it seemed skewed to favor the BATFE, hence not interested.
A friend of a friend claims to be a former Branch Davidian and said, while he had a messianic complex, Koresh was not anything beyond that.
The press is not your friend. While they might have depicted Hillary Clinton to be the rightful successor to BHO, if you were black, you would never consider voting for her. If you were a small business owner, same. If you value your privacy, everyone points to the Patriot act and decries W, but don't look to the Clintons or the expansion of those powers under BHO.

As far as publicity, Weaver was painted as a White Supremecist Aryan Nation member. Koresh was depcited as a child molesting monster.
I saw the 10 second previews on Netflix and it seemed skewed to favor the BATFE, hence not interested.
A friend of a friend claims to be a former Branch Davidian and said, while he had a messianic complex, Koresh was not anything beyond that.
The press is not your friend. While they might have depicted Hillary Clinton to be the rightful successor to BHO, if you were black, you would never consider voting for her. If you were a small business owner, same. If you value your privacy, everyone points to the Patriot act and decries W, but don't look to the Clintons or the expansion of those powers under BHO.
I watched it, it definitely made the ATF and FBI look stupid and at fault for being too trigger happy and causing innocent lives to be lost. It also tells a story of the agents lying and covering things up. The series was definitely not friendly to the feds

Glad it was mentioned as I had no idea they made one. Will have to watch. From what I had seen long ago from some of the video released it sure looked to me like the Fed's may well have done some friendly fire hits on themselves and then it was all over at that point. I remember at the time wondering why they did not just arrest him when he was in town if they really wanted him. So many times they go in like this, right or wrong, and it turns into a crap show. Which could be easily avoided by just arresting the person at some place other than home. Reminds me of the Country deputy who got killed here because they went into the home in the dark, over some guy who was at most a small time pot dealer. So instead of arresting him at work they kick in the door and start a gun fight.

Hello,

I just finished the Waco series on Netflix and it got me curious about the whole scenario. I was only 3 years old when it happened. the situation was never really explained to me besides the basics. I'm curious if anyone here watched that show and could relate it to what they've observed from interviews and reports. I'm wondering how much of that show is based on what likely happened vs what was most likely give them better ratings.

I'm writing this forum in this sub because I want to focus on the publicity of the matter and have an honest discussion of how Waco, even ruby ridge, pertains to the 2nd. How much of what I'm reading about the situation on the internet is likely true?

Thanks.
I just finished it Saturday night and I will say it definitely had me looking at their cult in a different light than I had always heard about them. They've been traditionally lumped in with suicide cults and they were painted in a much different way by this series.

Don't get me wrong, they are weird. Anyone group with all of the guys handing their wives over to the cult leader is weird...BUT... they seemed like genuine people who just wanted to live their lives and without hurting people. All of those people appeared to be living there in harmony and not by force.

Definitely gives you a real rough look into how Federal agencies strive to manipulate the public into viewing their schemes in a way it didn't actually go down. Also illustrates the power struggle between agencies and between the State level and Sheriff's office.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I have no clue how the ATF is still in existence.

I saw the interview of Randy Weaver's daughter in a 3/4 parts series on Fox News. It was heartbreaking what happed to her and her family.

I watched it, it definitely made the ATF and FBI look stupid and at fault for being too trigger happy and causing innocent lives to be lost. It also tells a story of the agents lying and covering things up. The series was definitely not friendly to the feds
Agreed, I thought it was done fairly.

Not sure about fairly. It was designed to be extremely anti Fed. It could have just as easily been produced to invoke an extremely anti Branch Dividian sentiment. It was fiction.The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
You saw it as pro-Davidian? I agree creative license was used.

A docu-drama IMO. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Binging Ozark is making my head spin... mostly because my GF won't pay close enough attention (stupid Candy Crush or something going on over there) and I end up explaining "What Just Happened(?)" all the way back into season 1 stuff. Most of that I barely remember myself... she needs to get out of the house more.

She just asked me "Where'd that baby come from?". Holy crap... lots of 'splainin' to do on that one...

I was a freshman in college in 1995 and I remember the Branch Davidians were depicted in the press as whacko/kooks. Most of us kids eagerly accepted this explanation, as we wanted any excuse to make fun of someone (this was the cynical 90's). We were told Koresh thought he was Jesus, that he was a child molester, and of course, that was not only laughable but none of us could abide by child molesters.. I do remember watching the siege on TV... I won't say anymore about the siege because it might spoil the show for someone who hasn't seen it, but all in all, Paramount did a very good job.

It is my understanding the OKC bombing was (at least in part) retaliation for Waco.

Fast forward 25 years and I see what a tragedy this was. They could have arrested Koresh during one of his shows at the local bar. There was absolutely no reason for the Feds to do what they did to those people.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top