JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I am planning on organizing a range clean-up in the nestucca river area. One popular spot was recently fenced off and posted with "no trespassing" signs. It is obvious that it was in part due to the amount of garbage and debris in the area.
The area that I plan to clean is in an old clear cut that is growing back, it is on the end of the nestucca hwy closest to laffeyete. (I can provide more detailed directions if you PM.)

For now the project is left for me and my dad (project mentor).
If you feel like you may be able to take some time out a weekend within the next month or so. (weather permitting). It would be much appreciated.

(Please PM me or just reply to the post) If you can, bring black garbage bags. Anything that can will be recycled and I will take care of the disposal.

I might be able to help out. Not sure where the area is, but it sounds like it's a little closer than where I've been going. I wouldn't mind having a closer spot and would be glad to help clean it up.

Feel free to PM me if you end up doing this.

the reason it got fenced off was because someone bought it, pretty sure it says it on the sign. some logging company or power company. I live in oregon and have shot there many times. Last time I was up there was a full set of bowling pins. that was fun to set up and shoot down. If you take cool garbage out like that I dont mind if you leave it for others to shoot! thanks who ever! Too bad its gone, it was close to My friends in Newberg. They had a security guard up there the first couple weekends and a friend of mine got a picture of his license taken for stopping and getting ready to shoot. Guess they really dont want people shooting up there.

oh ya , where and when is the clean up? and New shooting area! let me know either time and date or send me gps point and I can clean after I m done. thanks

OKAY FOLKS! SORRY IF IT SEEMS LIKE I'VE GIVEN UP ON THIS. Me and my partner spent a whole weekend up there unfortunately it was snowing like crazy, so there is still A LOT to CLEAN! I'm planning on going up there for one more day. It'll be Wednesday the 28th (MARCH) yes during spring break. I'll be up there all day and I will put a sign at the turnoff at the main road. It is probably one mile from the first fenced off area and if you get to the reservoir YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR.

You take a right onto a gravel road once you hit the clear-cut area that has started growing back. Basically when you stop climbing the hill and the road levels out. Like I said, There will be a sign maybe some ribbons or something. Bring a truck and or trailer and help us clean this area. I went back up there once after we spent the weekend up there and it still looked like a disaster...lets do our best to keep this area clean so that we don't have to drive even farther into the mountain just to shoot, thanks. no rsvp needed just show up. RAIN OR SHINE, or SNOW.

I though you had slacked off on this, glad to see its still gonna happen.

I'll be there the morning of the 28th for a few hours. I work swing so I'll have to get out of there at noon. If I remember, I'll bring my propane BBQ and a pack of hot dogs or somethin'

I hope this clean-up really happens.

In my younger days, as my boys were growing up, we belonged to a small club of outdoorsmen and at least once a month, we would go out and clean up a shooting area. One day we cleaned up the McGowen Cr. area and hauled out 7 pick up loads (and they had sideboards) of trash. The trash bags were furnished by the forest service (or BLM). A few days later they asked when we were going to do the clean up. They couldn't even tell we had been there........it was that bad.

Even though I'm getting up in years, I still haul out more than I take in. If we all did that, maybe it would get better.

My thanks to those who do and especially to those that take the time and effort to do special clean up days.

IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

A couple pics from our first trip

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Hey! PM me if you still go up for these clean-ups, i've been shooting up there for the last few weeks, since the weather has gotten tolerable, and it IS pretty nasty in spots. We've been going up further past the reservoir, and its pretty gross in spots up there too. Last weekend we hauled 4 wal-mart bags of "targets" out, only 1 of which was ours ;). Not to mention the truck bed liner that i couldn't fit in my mazda 6...:). Sorry for the necro....

Hey guys! Do you want to plan a group shoot and clean up event sometime? We can shoot the "old" targets and clean 'em when done! Ha, ha. I go up to areas past the reservoir, but it has been a while since I have been there, hopefully still open to us shooter/clean up guys.

Do you think it would be wise to let BLM/Forest Service guys know about our efforts at some point? Maybe it would help slow down the rate which land is being closed to shooting? Just want some positive PR for us responsible shooters.... Now, I leave bad vibes to the shooters who shoot and leave trash....bad...bad...bad... on you!

For the shooters who clean up, you rock! You are helping to keep the land open for our next generation of shooters!

Hey, I have been going to McGowen Cr since I was a kid. I don't go as much now that I live in Portland world. Love that place up McGowen Cr. I went up there last year and they have some areas closed off! I was disappointed. The open areas of course are trashed. I bring extra garbage bags with me every time and clean up best I can.
We need to stop the anti-gun folks gain another excuse to shut down our public lands to shooting!!!

I hope this clean-up really happens.

In my younger days, as my boys were growing up, we belonged to a small club of outdoorsmen and at least once a month, we would go out and clean up a shooting area. One day we cleaned up the McGowen Cr. area and hauled out 7 pick up loads (and they had sideboards) of trash. The trash bags were furnished by the forest service (or BLM). A few days later they asked when we were going to do the clean up. They couldn't even tell we had been there........it was that bad.

Even though I'm getting up in years, I still haul out more than I take in. If we all did that, maybe it would get better.

My thanks to those who do and especially to those that take the time and effort to do special clean up days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top