JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all - just thought I'd pop on over to this section and introduce myself. I've been lurking around for a bit, absorbing what info I can, and just yesterday decided to drop the hammer, so to speak, and join in the fun here at NWFA.
Back in the early '90s I was introduced to shooting by the Boy Scouts, pulling the trigger for the first time on a single shot .22 at Camp Merriwether in Oregon. Needless to say, I was hooked! (I'm not sure if the BSA still teaches shooting with actual firearms but I hope to god they do! The last time I checked, the Scout camps around here were using bb guns) My grandpa, who was a good ol boy from montana and an accomplished outdoorsman/hunter, was soon teaching me the fundamentals of marksmanship with his old Winchester model 61. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the extent of my shooting experience (aside from a few afternoons here and there spent shooting skeet with my college buddies in West Virginia), until about 6 months ago.
Me being a newfound family man (with a 3.5 yr old son and a wife of 4 years - yes, it was a shotgun wedding;)), and times being what they are, I decided that it was time to add another item to my skill set - the fine art of pistol marksmanship. I spent a good 2 months agonizing over which gun to buy for my first semi-automatic pistol, and finally settled on a Walther PPQ in 9mm. I remember how anxious and impatient I was while waiting for the background check to clear (I didn't have my carry license yet) and the day I took it home I was on freaking cloud nine!
Thanks to the good folks here at this forum, and a few other sites around the web, I was able to glean enough information to feel safe and confident enough to take it to the range a couple weeks later. Now, I've got the bug! What started out as a simple desire to protect my family has turned into a full blown passion, and I'm hoping to one day advance my skill set to the point where I can participate in some target competitions.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all around here and maybe even meeting up in the woods for some shootin' someday. And yes, I still have that old Model 61 as well as the Colt Diamondback that Grandpa used to show me the ropes with.

Welcome. Nice choice on the PPQ. I want one too!

Great forum as you probably know. Since you have kids, PLEASE be careful with your gun. I have kids and it is always on my mind.

If you want to try competitions, check out speed steel at TCGC. It is a great entry to competition and the people there are about the best you can imagine.

Welcome. Nice choice on the PPQ. I want one too!

Great forum as you probably know. Since you have kids, PLEASE be careful with your gun. I have kids and it is always on my mind.

If you want to try competitions, check out speed steel at TCGC. It is a great entry to competition and the people there are about the best you can imagine.

Yeah I LOVE my PPQ- shoots like a dream! I also left the store with a good strongbox when I took the gun home. When I was young there were guns literally just laying around the house, and I knew to never touch them without adult supervision, but these are different times, and I am a little more cautious than my Grandpa was. Especially after hearing all the horror stories!
I bought a set of those spinning steel targets the other week and it's just so satisfying to hear those things ring! Speed steel definitely piques my interest....

Welcome Neo;
Scouts still teach firearms safety and marksmanship.
There are many scout troops that use DRRC, they also camp on the grounds.
You and I are similar, when asked "what do we do if i'm preg...?"
Wasn't shotgun, accepted responsibility for the actions of my little brain.
34 years later, two daughters, two grandsons
Look around for a .22 rifle to teach the young sprout and spouse.
Regards

Welcome Neo;
Scouts still teach firearms safety and marksmanship.
There are many scout troops that use DRRC, they also camp on the grounds.
You and I are similar, when asked "what do we do if i'm preg...?"
Wasn't shotgun, accepted responsibility for the actions of my little brain.
34 years later, two daughters, two grandsons
Look around for a .22 rifle to teach the young sprout and spouse.
Regards

I like to tease my wife about how she tricked me into marrying her but I was just joking about the shotgun part of our wedding :). I too decided to step up and take responsibility for my actions and I am definitely a happier man for it! Can't wait to get the little one out into the woods with me... He's already giving me heart attacks with his unnatural tree-climbing abilities!

Sometimes it seems that being a parent is just one long list of terror threats by your own homegrown terrorists. Suicide tree climbers. They're totally worth it, but they get the worry juices running more often than not.
True that! But as a wise man once said, "better a broken bone than a broken spirit".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top