JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Few days ago I noticed my neighbors tree had a broken branch and it's just hanging, and I'm afraid that when it does completely break off, it might hit my car. If they don't take the responsibility, and it does hit my car, who's at fault?

Just to highlight the obvious, but why don't you be a good neighbor and go tell him about it prior to anything happening? By taking the initiative, you will put him on notice that it needs to be taken care of ( or he could be at fault since now he knows there is a known hazard that exists) and you also give him the chance to not fix it....

You can ask the neighbors to take care of it. If it falls and causes damage to your property, then the insurance companies (yours and theirs) usually end up arguing about it.

If they don't take care of it, and it overhangs your property, you can take care of it.

elsie

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. Instead of his car it was his house. He tried to get his neighbor to cut a heavily leaning tree down for two years but they refused. It finally came down during a storm and caused over $30k in damage to his house (big tree). They sued of course, but wasn't able to collect a dime.

it's your neighbor's responsibility, more so when you tell him about it (gross negligence?) Not an act of god (wind damage or rain damage is such) as it is his property coming into your property and causing damage.... like his pitbull coming over and eating your poodle, is that an act of god?

Your property damaged your insurance, when it comes to falling trees or branches but on the other hand any tree branches coming over your land boundy line can be cut by you and they can do little about but complain if they do not like. What you can not do is cut back any further then your boundy line or they can sue for damages to their property that was not an act of nature so be sure you are positive where it is and even give a little just to be sure. This is the advice I have received in the past.

Just to highlight the obvious, but why don't you be a good neighbor and go tell him about it prior to anything happening? By taking the initiative, you will put him on notice that it needs to be taken care of ( or he could be at fault since now he knows there is a known hazard that exists) and you also give him the chance to not fix it....

Why didn't I think of that?!? Anyways they can't miss it, the branch is pretty huge, and its hanging right in front their dining room window...

You are at fault for parking under a broken tree branch.
Actually anything on your property or in the airspace above your property is your responsibility.

I am not a lawyer.

I'm not parked under it.

Get rid of the neighbors.:s0155:

If only it was that easy.

You can ask the neighbors to take care of it. If it falls and causes damage to your property, then the insurance companies (yours and theirs) usually end up arguing about it.

If they don't take care of it, and it overhangs your property, you can take care of it.

elsie

The stupid thing about this is that a few weeks ago they had the tree trimmed, but they left that branch.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. Instead of his car it was his house. He tried to get his neighbor to cut a heavily leaning tree down for two years but they refused. It finally came down during a storm and caused over $30k in damage to his house (big tree). They sued of course, but wasn't able to collect a dime.

Damn that sucks...

Maybe just move your car,,,,,,,,,,,,,:s0092:

I own five cars, and I like to keep them on my property. Unfortunately, there is no room...

Move your car and Shoot the branch off :{I

I don't own any guns, I'm against them:s0112:

If it hangs over your property, just call an arborist and have them remove it. The neighbors might even thank you for it.

If it hangs over your property, just call an arborist and have them remove it. The neighbors might even thank you for it.

this is probably the best way to do it.

maybe talk to the neighbor and offer to split the bill with them to see if you can get away with paying less. if it doesnt look like it would be dangerous maybe just offer to work together to cut the branch down. nothing makes good neighbors like working together on a project.

I would post this question on several more discussion forums before making the decision to simply ask the neighbor if you can help do something about the branch.

That's what I would do :)

Earlier this spring a heavy wind blew down two trees on my neighbor's property and took out part of my fence. He was freaked out about it, was apologizing and told me he would be calling his insurance company etc. but I told him hey no big deal it was just a hog wire fence and only partially damaged so lets just cut up the trees, I'll keep them for firewood and asked him to help me fix the fence later in the summer. He was grateful for that and said whenever I am ready to do the fence to get with him but I agree with ATC above on calling your insurance company rather than speculating or getting possibly bad or incorrect advice. I surmise your neighbor has not offered to do anything correct?

Man, this reminds me of the 200'+ UGLY MUTANT fir tree w/4' base that sits EXACTLY dead-nuts straight up the middle on my back property line. I want that sucker GONE as it could land on my house, and the NASTY mess it makes with all the needles and twigs/branches that rain down all year...

Plus I want to build a detatched garage in that area and the roots stick up all over the place. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top