JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I just moved out to Hood RIver not long ago and I have been having a heck of a time with a neighbor. THings have been turning upside down here. First, they closed The Dalles shooting range, so I don't have many places to go shoot. Second, I got a neighbor who is really annoying. This is a town full of arrogant snowboarder/extreme sports people. And, although all that is cool, when they get in my face or start causing trouble with me, then I no longer tolerate all the crap.

First of all, my neighbor behind me has a nice house with a big backyard. He has a giant oak tree with a beehive. COnsidering, I live on a busier street, it is really annoying, but the bees swarm time to time. I've had 1000s of bees in my yard and some of the swarms congregate on my tree. Last week about 500 - 1000 bees swarmed my tree and I had to call a beekeeper to get rid of them. The neighbor said he would kill the bees, but never did. I had a beekeeper who said he would take the hive, but he would not let the beekeeper take the hive.

Ok, well the bee issue has been one pain in the arss, but I was willing to let it go.. Now, I feel the last straw has been broken. He has a 3-legged dog he lets run all over the town. I don't understand why the police or animal control hasn't confronted or taken this dog by now. Anyhow, the dog runs all over the place and craps all over the place. The dog crapped on my patio a few week ago. I know its his dog, because I catch it in my yard time to time. ANyhow, today I go out in my frontyard and there is dog stuff on the ground. So, I have to pick up the dog stuff. I knew it was his dog, but what confirmed it was his dog, was later I walk outside and I find his dog running all over my yard and decides to take a leak on some of my plants. The dog is deaf and 3-legged due to an accident. Obviously, the guy just doesn't give a crap about his dogs.

Ok, here is the caveat. The guy is supposedly friends with my landlord. MY landlord goes over to his house and hangs out time to time. I told my landlord about the problem, but it appears he says he doesn't want to get involved. IT also turns out the guy lost his brother in an avalanche just recently , so he may not be in the best state of mind.

I am really conflicted what to do, especially since the guy just lost his brother. However, this guy just doesn't have the right to go walking all over his neighbors. I live in a nice neighborhood and surprised this prick can go about stepping on his neighbors toes without any repercussions.

I already confronted him once about the bees and now I am afraid to confront him about the dog. I"m debating about going to police, animal services or whether to go back and confront him. I really don't want to escalate this problem, but I am sick of cleaning up the guy's dog crap. Perhaps, next time, I just take the crap and throw it on his front doorstep :s0112:. Probably not the best option. LOL I surprised with all the liberal PETA members in this town, nobody has confronted this guy

Anyway, any rational-minded person give me their opinion about what they would do in this situation. Remember, I live in a small town and don't want bad blood. I know if I report him to the police, I may have to be looking over my shoulder; not that I am not prepared, but I don't want to live this way.

Hi, I just moved out to Hood RIver not long ago and I have been having a heck of a time with a neighbor. THings have been turning upside down here. First, they closed The Dalles shooting range, so I don't have many places to go shoot. Second, I got a neighbor who is really annoying. This is a town full of arrogant snowboarder/extreme sports people. And, although all that is cool, when they get in my face or start causing trouble with me, then I no longer tolerate all the crap.

First of all, my neighbor behind me has a nice house with a big backyard. He has a giant oak tree with a beehive. COnsidering, I live on a busier street, it is really annoying, but the bees swarm time to time. I've had 1000s of bees in my yard and some of the swarms congregate on my tree. Last week about 500 - 1000 bees swarmed my tree and I had to call a beekeeper to get rid of them. The neighbor said he would kill the bees, but never did. I had a beekeeper who said he would take the hive, but he would not let the beekeeper take the hive.

Ok, well the bee issue has been one pain in the arss, but I was willing to let it go.. Now, I feel the last straw has been broken. He has a 3-legged dog he lets run all over the town. I don't understand why the police or animal control hasn't confronted or taken this dog by now. Anyhow, the dog runs all over the place and craps all over the place. The dog crapped on my patio a few week ago. I know its his dog, because I catch it in my yard time to time. ANyhow, today I go out in my frontyard and there is dog stuff on the ground. So, I have to pick up the dog stuff. I knew it was his dog, but what confirmed it was his dog, was later I walk outside and I find his dog running all over my yard and decides to take a leak on some of my plants. The dog is deaf and 3-legged due to an accident. Obviously, the guy just doesn't give a crap about his dogs.

Ok, here is the caveat. The guy is supposedly friends with my landlord. MY landlord goes over to his house and hangs out time to time. I told my landlord about the problem, but it appears he says he doesn't want to get involved. IT also turns out the guy lost his brother in an avalanche just recently , so he may not be in the best state of mind.

I am really conflicted what to do, especially since the guy just lost his brother. However, this guy just doesn't have the right to go walking all over his neighbors. I live in a nice neighborhood and surprised this prick can go about stepping on his neighbors toes without any repercussions.

I already confronted him once about the bees and now I am afraid to confront him about the dog. I"m debating about going to police, animal services or whether to go back and confront him. I really don't want to escalate this problem, but I am sick of cleaning up the guy's dog crap. Perhaps, next time, I just take the crap and throw it on his front doorstep :s0112:. Probably not the best option. LOL I surprised with all the liberal PETA members in this town, nobody has confronted this guy

Anyway, any rational-minded person give me their opinion about what they would do in this situation. Remember, I live in a small town and don't want bad blood. I know if I report him to the police, I may have to be looking over my shoulder; not that I am not prepared, but I don't want to live this way.

I'd likely just disappear the dog.

I have a friend that had the same problem a couple years ago. His neighbor basically told him we wasnt gonna do anything about his dogs crap in other peoples yards. My friend put a drain pan full of antifreeze outside by his garage. Couple days later and the problem was solved.

Last Edited:
Sadly, 22many, I think this guy could care less about the dog, so he'd probably hope I feed it antifreeze.. If this guy cared, he wouldn't let the thing run wild.. The thing is already deaf and missing a leg, poor dog should be put down maybe already. Anyway, I think I will have to think of other options than poisoning it.. THen the basterd probably would take me to court and make me pay some kind of settlement costs for murdering his poor poochie, that he never cared about anyway. I'm telling you, this guy doesn't have any compassion for anybody, especially his animals. The sad part is, this guy has a nice house and a big backyard. There is no excuse to be letting his dog run loose. However, if the cops won't help me and he won't stop the dog from running all over my yard, then I may reserve a big pile of crap for his doorstep.. However, like I said, I'm the new guy in town and he has been here a while. I really don't want bad blood. But, I also, can only take so much crap!

That's understandable. Given your situation, I would call animal control and see what they can do for you. Maybe jump online and do a search for the laws in Oregon about this topic?

I remember about 10 years ago seeing on the news that a guy sued him neighbor over this same thing. He won in court. I'm not suggesting a law suit or anything but my point is is that if it was a big enough problem to sue someone over 10 years ago then I'm sure your city or the state of Oregon has certain laws on it.

If you want to stay out of trouble then calling animal control and allowing them to do there job is your best bet. Taking pictures of the dog in your yard and roaming loose might help your case. Good luck,
Mike

See if you can rent an electric fence, if not buy one off Craigslist. String the wire along your property line mid height for the dogs size and tie some reflective ribbon every six feet along the wire.
All it takes is one good jolt and then you can turn off the fence, and return it to the rental yard.
leave the wire and ribbon in place. A three legged dog can't jump very well and should avoid the marked wire and find some other yard to crap in.

A low powered BB gun would give it some incentive...... I remember my step dad using this as an effective tool to keep dogs off the lawn as a kid. He had a pump BB gun and would just give it one pump, not enough to do any damage but enough to let the dog associate our yard with pain.

For the dog lovers that will now go off on me, save it, I don't do it and he's dead so he doesn't care what you think.

+1 on the BB Gun. Unless the dog is also brain damaged, a couple hits from the gun and he will avoid your yard.

I used to have a neighbors dog that followed me when I took my dog for walks, then he started attacking another neighbors chickens and that neighbor thought the dog was mine (even though my dog was on a leash). I took my daughters pink BB gun with me for a few walks and zapped the dog whenever he tried to follow me. He never follows me anymore and is still friendly with me otherwise.

I also told the dogs owner my intentions and why I was doing it so they could try and contain their dog if they wanted.

Don't hurt the dog, he is just doing what he does, he doesn't know any better. If he has picked a certain spot discourage him by putting red pepper on the area. If you catch him doing it spray him with water from a hose, he will learn pretty quick. Have a serious talk with your neighbor. Teaching the dog is pretty easy, your neighbor may be a lot harder.

Shooting the dog with a bb gun is probably illegal. A bb can become lodged beneath the skin and cause serious infection, ask your vet. Also some one may see you weilding a bb gun and call the law because you are wielding an "Oh my god he has a gun!!!!!!" the cops have killed for less, "oops".

Maybe its just me, but I would confront the guy. Ask him why he allows his dog to bubblegum in your yard, patio, etc.. Let him know that you will not tolerate such behavior in the future. As well, bring up the bees again, that crap is actually dangerous.

Get a motion activated sprinkler for your yard. That should keep every animal out of it.
Also take a bb gun to the bee hive, let them swarm, then do it again and again. Sooner or later your neighbor may get tired of not being able to go outside with the swarms of bees. Or if you get some good enough shots in, you may just knock the bee hive out of the tree.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top