JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had an old fella tell me once (or maybe I read it somewhere, brain is old and fuzzy) that he would pour bacon grease over the dogpile to encourage the nice doggie to clean up his own mess. Then tell the owner after a while how well it's working, and I'll bet a fence goes up pretty quick...

A little off topic, but one of the worst mistakes I ever made was giving my two labs some bacon grease on their dog food before a buddy and I took them hunting in Minnesota one winter. He had a Ford Pinto wagon and it must have been close to freezing out and those dogs started ripping them in the back of the wagon. We drove almost all the way from the Twin Cities to Hinckley, MN with the windows down. Dang near froze to death, but it was better than the gas chamber. :s0114:

Most dogs hate pepper spray! Some are completely immune to it, but most will flee and learn not to return. I highly recommend the "Mace Pepper Gun"! It is a superb quality pepper spray weapon, shaped like a snubby revolver, that has an honest twenty foot spray range. It fires from any angle and does not need shaking up; it has a high intensity LED light aiming point just like a lazer sight. Google it; even Cabelas sells it, though other sites have it less expensively.

"Wrist Rocket" style sllingshots are cheap fun, fast and quiet, and you can become quite accurate! Don't bother with the steel balls sold with them; use kid's marbles for shot and even when found they are quite anonymous and nobody would guess that it was from a slingshot. Nobody will see you holding a BB pistol. Might be fun for stirring-up the beehive too at strategic moments when nobody can hear the thump............................elsullo

If you can get within 20 ft of the hive with a can of hornet and wasp spray late at night,it will probably do the trick for the bee problem.As for the dog you need to be sure its his dog doing the crapping,then talk to the dogowner one more time and try to be as nice as possable.Let him know you are contacting animal control about the problem.Then contact animal control and push for them to contact the owner.You might have to call them 3...4...or more times but eventually they will contact him.For most people that is enough.Another option is to catch and hold the dog then call animal control.This method tends to piss off the dogowner though...

Has no one ever heard the phrase "when life gives you lemonade you make Lemons"?

When life gives you dogcrap you make fertilizer.

When life gives you honeybees you make honey.

It's not rocket science. Seriously, if this is the biggest pain in your life right now, you truly are blessed. You got other neighbors who's children have been run over and killed by cars recently, who have terminal cancer, homes burned down, daughters raped, identity stolen and they are now impoverished and harassed by credit agencies....etc etc....you, on the other hand, have a 3 legged dog that would most likely ring your doorbell and save your life if your home was on fire. Count your blessings. Really.

Get the motion activated sprinkle and a bee box. Amazon.com: Royden Brown's Bee Hive Product Bible: Wondrous Products from One of Nature's Most Productive Creatures (9780895295217): Royden Brown: Books
Or make the box.
Next time free honeybees show up on your property just call the local bee guy to move the next swarm into a hive. These guys often do that for free as they know how valuable bees are, check craiglist. Then invite your neighbor over for a honey laced umbrella rum drink and ask him where the nearest shooting range is. There is a free one not far from you, you can ask him over a barbeque dinner. He's your neighbor, treat him well, someday he or his 3 legged dawg might save your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid the neighbors on either side were having a poop war. Each had a little yapper and would guide it to go on the other's yard. We in the middle were occasionally innocent casualties. The funny point was years later, when the one old man had died and the other old lady was in her last days. She admitted that her dog wasn't "productive" enough, so she had gone to the zoo to buy "Zoo-Doo" elephant poop to drop on his lawn. Neighbor wars are fun!

This didn't help you at all. Sorry.

Hi, I just moved out to Hood RIver not long ago and I have been having a heck of a time with a neighbor. THings have been turning upside down here. First, they closed The Dalles shooting range, so I don't have many places to go shoot. Second, I got a neighbor who is really annoying. This is a town full of arrogant snowboarder/extreme sports people. And, although all that is cool, when they get in my face or start causing trouble with me, then I no longer tolerate all the crap.

First of all, my neighbor behind me has a nice house with a big backyard. He has a giant oak tree with a beehive. COnsidering, I live on a busier street, it is really annoying, but the bees swarm time to time. I've had 1000s of bees in my yard and some of the swarms congregate on my tree. Last week about 500 - 1000 bees swarmed my tree and I had to call a beekeeper to get rid of them. The neighbor said he would kill the bees, but never did. I had a beekeeper who said he would take the hive, but he would not let the beekeeper take the hive.

Ok, well the bee issue has been one pain in the arss, but I was willing to let it go.. Now, I feel the last straw has been broken. He has a 3-legged dog he lets run all over the town. I don't understand why the police or animal control hasn't confronted or taken this dog by now. Anyhow, the dog runs all over the place and craps all over the place. The dog crapped on my patio a few week ago. I know its his dog, because I catch it in my yard time to time. ANyhow, today I go out in my frontyard and there is dog stuff on the ground. So, I have to pick up the dog stuff. I knew it was his dog, but what confirmed it was his dog, was later I walk outside and I find his dog running all over my yard and decides to take a leak on some of my plants. The dog is deaf and 3-legged due to an accident. Obviously, the guy just doesn't give a crap about his dogs.

Ok, here is the caveat. The guy is supposedly friends with my landlord. MY landlord goes over to his house and hangs out time to time. I told my landlord about the problem, but it appears he says he doesn't want to get involved. IT also turns out the guy lost his brother in an avalanche just recently , so he may not be in the best state of mind.

I am really conflicted what to do, especially since the guy just lost his brother. However, this guy just doesn't have the right to go walking all over his neighbors. I live in a nice neighborhood and surprised this prick can go about stepping on his neighbors toes without any repercussions.

I already confronted him once about the bees and now I am afraid to confront him about the dog. I"m debating about going to police, animal services or whether to go back and confront him. I really don't want to escalate this problem, but I am sick of cleaning up the guy's dog crap. Perhaps, next time, I just take the crap and throw it on his front doorstep :s0112:. Probably not the best option. LOL I surprised with all the liberal PETA members in this town, nobody has confronted this guy

Anyway, any rational-minded person give me their opinion about what they would do in this situation. Remember, I live in a small town and don't want bad blood. I know if I report him to the police, I may have to be looking over my shoulder; not that I am not prepared, but I don't want to live this way.

put dog doo in paper bag soak in lighter fluid place on front door mat light and ring bell.

For all the dog killers here, I have met these dogs and they are very sweet.. They got an A-hole owner and the antifreeze should be reserved him..

billcoe said:
It's not rocket science. Seriously, if this is the biggest pain in your life right now, you truly are blessed. You got other neighbors who's children have been run over and killed by cars recently, who have terminal cancer, homes burned down, daughters raped, identity stolen and they are now impoverished and harassed by credit agencies....etc etc....you, on the other hand, have a 3 legged dog that would most likely ring your doorbell and save your life if your home was on fire. Count your blessings. Really.
Billcoe, I think you are overreacting a bit? So, as long as there are greater atrocities nobody should speak out against smaller ones? The reason why so much of this crap happens in the world is too many people sit on their as$ and don't do anything about stuff. In a society, where people hang rapists, a lot less women get raped. Considering, all my neighbors are a bunch of weinies and put up with this crap, you got stray dogs running around crapping all over the place and wrecking havoc on the neighborhood. I am being a responsible neighbor. Perhaps, since there is world hunger, wars, and disease, everyone should just hide in their house and never complain about any bit of injustice. You are talking to a guy who was in Africa for 5 months and worked with widows and children dying of AIDS. Yes, I have seen all the bad things in the world and people like my neighbor are the reason why a lot of it happens. Whether it is the corrupt African government/NGO official who uses the NGO/gov't support money on his pretty looking hookers, nice Mercedes Benz and lounging at a lush hotel while local villagers get denied AZT medication while they suffer with full blown AIDS or if it is the self-righteous arrogant neighbor who lets his dog go crap on everyone else's lawn and doesn't care, it's all the same root: selfishness!

As far as this dog or this neighbor saving my life, YEAH RIGHT! Most likely, it would be me saving his life if I was ever in such a God forsaken situation.

FYI, I called a beekeeper who wanted to remove the bees from his property, but he refused to let him come in, saying he would kill the bees. Waste of good bees, but he didn't even kill them.

billcoe said:
Next time free honeybees show up on your property just call the local bee guy to move the next swarm into a hive. These guys often do that for free as they know how valuable bees are, check craiglist. Then invite your neighbor over for a honey laced umbrella rum drink and ask him where the nearest shooting range is. There is a free one not far from you, you can ask him over a barbeque dinner. He's your neighbor, treat him well, someday he or his 3 legged dawg might save your life.
Billcoe, you sound like a nice guy and I wish I had a neighbor who was friendly like you, but I live in Hood River, not a town of good ol friendly country folk. I live around a lot of boardheads, ultra-liberals and other arrogant pricks who don't believe in the neighborly spirit you advocate. Sadly, I am the nicest guy on my block. I smile and wave, but the people around here are either very shy or very closed and generally avoid any type of interaction. One of my neighbors refused to smile at me until I would almost force it out of him with a smile and wave. Basically, people here are clannish and keep to themselves and love their privacy. This is not small-town ALabama or some place where neighbors look out for each other. I've lived in a few places like that and Hood River isn't even close. And, what makes you think he owns guns?? Also, he is friends with my landlord. He might go tell him that I am some crazy whacko gun-nut who is threatening his life or something. Seriously, there is an ultra-liberal attitude in this town and I try to keep a low profile. The neighbors on the other side are all wild hippies. They are somewhat entertaining. Like one day we had lightning and thunder and they all danced and screamed in the rain in their underwear. I haven't seen anything like it. More likely they would like to hang out and take bong hits, then bust off rounds at the range.

BTW... I did try to confront him today and the owner wasn't home, but one of his dogs was sitting on the porch happy to meet me. The dog decided to follow me home and was almost hit by a car in the process and he ran into the street while a car was turning . LOL.. So, I decided to take out my Android phone and now have HD Video of the dog following me home and hanging out on my property. I will be happy to turn this into the Animal Control if I find any more piles of poop on the ground. The lady at animal services sounded all too eager to go to this guy's house and talk with him. I said I will deal with it personally. Also, I got his phone number off the tag of the dog. So, he will be very surprised to hear from me tomorrow on the phone.. LOL..

I am going to buy a "Mean Neighbors Suck" bumper sticker.. Everyone in Hood River has lots of bumper stickers, so I will be sure to start collecting a few of my own..

4free, First of all let me say that you are right in that you should not have to put up with this. On that we agree. However, you make an assumption that a three-legged deaf dog is evidence that its owner does not care for or love his dog. Here you may be wrong. My dog is three-legged and deaf (no proximity to Hood River). She lost her leg when on a horseback ride, I kicked up my horse to escape danger from another horse, and the dog got beneath. This happened when she was 4, and it never slowed her down until recently. She's 13 now, and deaf: something that very often happens to 13 year-old dogs regardless of the care and love they receive.

Suggestions: (the best were already covered).

1) Find out what your neighbor likes. Perhaps your landlord can help with this research, though he's no help with the problem directly. Maybe your neighbor likes to drink beer (or whiskey). Maybe he's single or widowed, and has no one to bake him an apple pie (Sharis makes nice ones). Maybe its just a good cup of coffee. Maybe he has a hobby you can contribute to in some minor material way. Show up on his doorstep with the peace offering (maybe a big box of dog biscuits), with the very best genuine smile you can muster, advise you need to talk. Ask him about the dog: what breed, what's its name, etc. Engage.

2) Watch for results. Acknowledge any effort by your neighbor: retrieving the dog, picking up the poop, etc., even if it is not completely effective.

3) If results are not satisfactory, notify dog control of each instance. Hint: Dog control operates on repeated, documented instances. Rack 'em up.

4) Above all, do not harm the poor crippled dog. Two good reasons: It ain't the dog's fault, and you are a better man than that. I like to think we all here are.

5) If all else fails, return the deposited property to the dog's owner. With the same engaging smile and extension of true friendship. Perhaps in the same coffee cup.

I cannot believe that this won't work at some stage. You might have an uphill struggle if you didn't try this with the bee deal, but its never too late, and all of this will keep you above the dog's owner (if he is truly a neglectful pet owner) and retain your stature above the men that have suggested more draconian methods here.

<broken link removed>

But seriously, I don't advocate harming the dog, but should anything happen to him on your property the major negligence and liability is on the dog's owner, who is willfully violating the (leash) law. You need to establish proof of that violation though, with pictures and calls to Animal Control.

On my property trespassing dogs would most likely be dead. I own livestock and my county has an ordinance allowing dogs chasing livestock to be summarily dispatched. The fact that this dog is deaf and 3 legged might get him a reprieve though. I'd have to catch him chasing my sheep.

The bees are a different matter. Your neighbor has been advised that he's maintaining a dangerous situation. Bee stings are life threatening to some people (like my wife). Your neighbor needs to know that if anything serious happens, again, because of his willful negligence, he'll be liable for damages up to and including wrongful death or negligent homicide. A letter from an attorney explaining these issues might help. I had to have an attorney write a letter to my neighbor who has a flag lot behind me explaining easement law, and that he and his family were not entitled to camp on, skateboard on, or otherwise occupy the portion of the paved driveway that is on my property. They were complaining about my coonhounds barking at them when they were skateboarding on my property, making them feel unsafe. The letter explained that under their driveway easement they had a right to passover my land to get to and from the county road and NOTHING else. We understand each other now.

I live in Hood River, not a town of good ol friendly country folk. I live around a lot of boardheads, ultra-liberals and other arrogant pricks who don't believe in the neighborly spirit you advocate.

That's a shame. I live inner city PDX. Have the best damn neighbors you could imagine. I know most every one by name, their kids names, and where they work or what they do for a living easily with in a 1 block radius, and decreasing out to 5 blocks away and its also a tight group. 3 blocks away is a major street and it has a higher percentage of transients whom I don't know any.

2 days ago I woke up at the quiet wee hours @4:38 am to go pee (this is called Old man disease I think). With the windows down I hear from a few blocks away towards the busy street - blam blam...........(pause)...blam. I'm thinking crap, somebody just got 2 to the body and the person walked up and put one in the head. Damn. Not all that uncommon around here really. (nearby a few years back they found 3 Mexicans in a hotel room with bullets to the head, there have been 2 front page newpaper shootings within a month nearby, I've found a rifled (so fired) .45 bullet sitting on my back deck, there have been shootings in broad daylight at the park a half a block away etc etc) Totally ruined my day. My point is that if I could trade some dog crap from what otherwise sounds like a real nice dog, for that bull , I'd do it all day long. Of course, that's me and I must be strange as I wouldn't attach any significance or be slighted and bothered in the least by a little dog crap, others here obviously do judging by the 30 some responses above signifying such.

Regards and good luck:

Just go to the cops, The neighbor at best will just flap his lips and nothing will happen. Get the dog impounded. With luck he will go to the humane society and be adopted by a family that cares. As far as the bees, you might be out of luck as far as legal options. Would a can of bee killer that sprays 20-30 ft reach from your property line? Maybe a midnight mission is in order.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top