JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I prefer to plan for more realistic SHTF rather than the whole zombies/complete societal collapse type of thing. This means stuff like natural disasters such as what happened at Katrina or things like the LA riots. I have a bag of stuff ready to go with about a week of supplies and copies of all my important documents ready to go in case a natural disaster forces me to bug out or die but I think if possible I would like to stay at (or return to as quickly as possible) my property to defend it from looters and rioters until the SHTF is over.

My question is, do you guys think it would be a good idea to have like 5-10 cheapo carbines that you can hand out to neighbors who don't have their own guns to make a sort of temporary neighborhood defense force? I was thinking something along the lines of base model hi point 9mms or, if you have the money, maybe kel-tec sub2Ks with 33rd glock mags. Obviously I would give them a safety brief and cursory training first. Maybe make them watch the first disc of magpul aotc 1. These guns are light, easy to use, and cheap. Someone suggested to me a crate of mosin-nagants, but I feel a semi auto pistol caliber carbine is much more useful than a bolt action rifle for this purpose.

Hopefully the mere presence of a bunch of visibly armed dudes will be more than enough to deter looters.

I'd love to be able to do that. It would be a really great thing to do if you live in a city and know enough responsible/trustworthy neighbors who can help out.

Handing out semi-auto rifles to people with little to no firearms experience sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe stick to bolt action or shotguns?

Shotguns might be a good idea. Are there any decent pumps in the <$200 range?

first thing that comes to mind is what happens with your trusting neighbors turn on you with the guns you gave them!

I would only give them to the people I know very well and trust not to shoot me.

I dont know about the neighborhood.. but at least a few rifles for the adults in the house. start small and branch out.

but More so than the extra weapons you'll have to worry about rounds.

and i agree with cbzdel;
people will go into a survival of the fittest mode and tend to their families first. if they arent prepared and need supplies from you, they now have the means to take it from you through dissent.

and giving a scared uninformed person a loaded gun in a time of crisis could lead to innocent people dying, i wouldlnt want that on my conscience.

I dont know about the neighborhood.. but at least a few rifles for the adults in the house. start small and branch out.

but More so than the extra weapons you'll have to worry about rounds.

and i agree with cbzdel;
people will go into a survival of the fittest mode and tend to their families first. if they arent prepared and need supplies from you, they now have the means to take it from you through dissent.

and giving a scared uninformed person a loaded gun in a time of crisis could lead to innocent people dying, i wouldlnt want that on my conscience.

Hmm, good point.

Can you get the HiPoint 9mm Carbine for <$200 anymore? Last I read they have gone up alot in price even though the MSRP is still low.
You may be right.

<broken link removed>
$188.99 here (but backordered)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_269/products_id/48315
$159.00 here (but out of stock)

If it's gonna be as much as $250 may as well use kel-tecs (they seem to have better build quality to me) or remington 870s/mossberg 500s.

I plan on using the neighbors as a food source.
lol'd :s0114:

I think the roving security patrols that you are thinking about would more likely come into being well after the initial period of unrest. After a while, when survivors band together for their mutual benefit, and a level of trust is developed, as well as people's competencies having been determined, then what you suggest might be more appropriate. I would consider it to be more of a collection of what is available, rather than stockpiling now for that specific purpose. Concentrate on providing for you and yours being able to survive the initial unrest and worry about what comes after that, well, after that.

As a general rule, neighbors are like everyone else, non shooting little girls that won't come through or get involved when the SHTF. I wouldn't give my neighboors anything more lethal then a garden hose.

Its funny, I had about a half dozen bolt actions that I'd always considered that maybe I'd use like that (not the only reason I'd had them). I eventually sold them off to buy better quality gear and training for myself.

I'd approach it like this...who in your neighborhood do you really, truly trust and also have SEEN them be good under pressure. For them, I might keep one handy or, better yet, get them to come out and train with you. All in all, for an urban setting, I'd go with a shotgun...rural, with a bolt gun.

I would more likely ask them to bring there stuff to my house and hunker down here rather than handing them a weapon and send them on there way. They may have skills more useful to me and mine, than recklessly shooting.

I'd approach it like this...who in your neighborhood do you really, truly trust and also have SEEN them be good under pressure. For them, I might keep one handy or, better yet, get them to come out and train with you. All in all, for an urban setting, I'd go with a shotgun...rural, with a bolt gun.[/QUOTE] Posted by unionguy.

+1, I have been thinking about this for awhile. What i did was talk to neighbors i thought were on the same page i was (yes i was profiling). I found some i trust in a SHTF situation. They are already prepared and we bat-around different ideas on protecting "da hood". Lefty.

Last Edited:
Shotguns might be a good idea. Are there any decent pumps in the <$200 range?
Maverick 88
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42605

I would agree with only handing out guns to people you really trust under pressure, and who've handled a weapon before.. Instead of preparing to arm those people after something goes down, better to convince them to arm and train now.. It's cheaper for you, and better in the long run to be around someone who can take care of themself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top