JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I would highly recommend moving as soon as possible.

You are not wrong. But if the guy is enough of a threat to get a restraining order, he's enough of a threat to move out.

These ^^^^^

The battle is already joined, why would you want to put up with living near this guy with a restraining order in place? He will still be a potential violent threat. I know moving is a hassle, but as a renter you have no deep skin in the game. If at all possible, people should have some peace of mind in the home they live in. The stress and insecurity of continuing to live in this place would be unbearable for me. Trying to fight this guy within the law has a great potential for escalation. The option of matching his violence in kind has high potential for getting you in trouble. Short of moving, it's difficult to see a win in this for you.

Most states have a brandishing law on the books. Open to some interpretation by LEO's in the field.

The reason he's still living there for so long is that he's bullied the landlady and it wouldn't surprise me that she finds it easier to rent out your space then deal with him.
I've been a landlord and have evicted a tenant two days after he moved in.
I gave the guy a months free rent and refunded all his deposits.

Cameras.

Wear one or mount one.

Can't pay the rent if you are in jail. Just ask Strickland.

Tell you what I did to catch my old scumbag landlords trying to break into my house I was renting while I was at work...

Many landlords are ignorant of Oregon Landlord/Tenant Law and think they have the right to enter your domecile (sp) any time they wish. FWIW a min of 24hr notice is required. Written and posted notice is sufficient if the tenant is not home at the time of notice being given. With proper notification, a landlord may enter w/o the tenant being present.

Great , forgot about the holiday. Hopefully I can get a lawyer.

Lawyer not needed for an ERPO.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone who pulls a gun should forfeit his concealed carry permit ? I know I don't pull mine on someone else's doorstep.

At a min. "Brandishing" is against the law, but he may have been able to convince his PoPo buddies that he feared for his safety.

Hope you are moving soon... these things never end well.

I survived living across the alley from the Los Vatos motorcycle gang by being extra nice to them and not complaining tooooo much. (Loud music and parties, coming and going all hours of the night, parking in front of my gate, etc.) It helped to have some weed to share. :eek: :rolleyes:;) But moving was the final solution.

This story doesn't sounds right. What did the police report state? What reason did the sergeant give for not taking the other guy into custody?

Exactly what i was wondering. You pull a gun on someone, that is brandishing at a minimum. I might even venture down to the prosecutors attorneys office and question why the police didn't do more to the guy. Heck, go talk to the police chief too.

Bullied and being forced to move out is BS. I agree that it is a rental and the safest thing to do, but still wrong especially when the guy pulls a gun on you and the cops do nothing.

I will add my vote for moving. I think we've all encountered this person at one point or another. They have nothing to lose so are willing to escalate any situation to the point that even if you 'win' it's a pyrrhic victory at best. Anyone in a position of authority over them is already tired of dealing with their mess, and they'd rather just leave it to you.

Last Edited:
Exactly what i was wondering. You pull a gun on someone, that is brandishing at a minimum. I might even venture down to the prosecutors attorneys office and question why the police didn't do more to the guy. Heck, go talk to the police chief too.

Bullied and being forced to move out is BS. I agree that it is a rental and the safest thing to do, but still wrong especially when the guy pulls a gun on you and the cops do nothing.
A friend's ex in another small Oregon town is a volunteer fireman and so are his brothers, and his parents are prominent in town. He's pals with all the cops and firemen. They all went to high school together. Marriage vows? Child support? Restraining order? Carry permit? Custody enforcement? Forget about any of that. The guy is made of teflon. Her solution was to remarry and move a few hundred miles away.

If this crazy neighbor has been there for 16 years he's not leaving. Best solution is find another place to live. Go to ID or MT where his kind have a low life expectancy.

Reason for not arresting neighbor was, "He had o have the intent to do harm when he pulled the gun". The case number was issued so that the district attorney could make any decisions. Since this is not the first time the neighbor has over reacted . I am glad that I got it on record.

Bullied and being forced to move out is BS. ...

There's a lot in life that is BS. You pick your battles. The reality here is that if he gets into a gunfight with the neighbor:

A) he dies,
B) he's wounded,
C) he lives and becomes enmeshed in a legal proceeding which, best case costs him $10k or so in legal fees and results in no charges, or something north of 6 figures in legal fees, plus lost income, and he rolls his dice on his freedom and other rights with a jury.

Or he could just move and accept that not all battles are worth it.

I lived in Montana most my life. I made the decision to move about two weeks ago due to Oregon's future as seen by Kate Brown.

I will be seeing the district attorney in person if possible. May as well meet the police chief also.

Psycho neighbor is always a complete nightmare to deal with. I had a good one a few years back. Meth head with neglected hounds that would howl for 12 plus hours a day/night. No threats of violence, but despite being the drug addict...she kept trying to have me arrested. Called the police repeatedly with insane claims.

I feel for ya on this. I wasn't in a position to move, just had to wait for her drug problem to get her evicted. Thankfully, that was the eventual outcome.

Consider the following:

1) Obnoxious neighbor is like many bullies, full of bovine fecal matter - and isn't really buddy buddy with LEOs.

2) He is telling the truth, which could have various implications. One of which could be that he is a confidential informant. If so, then that would mean the guy might be into bad things.

Psycho neighbor is always a complete nightmare to deal with. I had a good one a few years back. Meth head with neglected hounds that would howl for 12 plus hours a day/night. No threats of violence, but despite being the drug addict...she kept trying to have me arrested. Called the police repeatedly with insane claims.

I feel for ya on this. I wasn't in a position to move, just had to wait for her drug problem to get her evicted. Thankfully, that was the eventual outcome.

Thanks for your support. I used to shoot three gun years ago. It is always comfortable to still own smooth shooting modern sporting arms as well.

Since I did tell the police that the neighbor claimed to know the law enforcement and thus felt free to overstep. The police supervisor went out of his way to say that he knows this guy but not in a good way.

FYI, if you do get a restraining/stalking order, it very likely will prevent him from coming within a set distance of your residence. If you're on the same property and the order is issued by the judge, he very likely will have to move off the property to be in compliance. It also should prevent him calling you or verbally interacting with you. If you don't force compliance and let him get away with staying or yelling at you and don't call the cops when he does, he can claim that you've tacitly let the order lapse. Just be aware that if he has to be evicted to be in compliance with the order, he likely won't be happy about the whole thing.

Well taken. I am pursuing this. As it will be sometime before I can move. I have already been gone on record in the past with the land lady and they have let him know to steer clear. I will make sure I bring that up for the record as well.

The option of matching his violence in kind has high potential for getting you in trouble. Short of moving, it's difficult to see a win in this for you.

Most states have a brandishing law on the books. Open to some interpretation by LEO's in the field.

Many people have been shot dead right there for brandishing a weapon. Heck, they even do that here in yUK.

It's times like these where a long, awkward silence broken by a wet fart is called for. I bet that'd deescalate a lot.

Serious note, in agreement with others, I'd just move. If you're not married to the problem, go away from the problem. Even if he got evicted, he knows exactly where you live and might blame you for it which is even more bad news.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads