JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Today I called my landlady to tell her that my neighbor , also her tenant ,parked his motorcycle in front of my shed proventing my access. When I came home from the McMinnville gun show I decided to carry two rifles , one in a cardboard box , the other in a plastic case ,and a handgun in a nylon carry case all to my front door at one time From my truck. My neighbor comes out and starts to verbally accosting me , right at my door while I am balancing the load before I could open the door. He is agitated and in my face. He thinks for some reason that I am pulling a weapon , that is what he told the police. He pulls out his Handgun. I go in the house and call 911. The police come, both town and sheriff and after much discussion they do not arrest him. I go to the Police Dept supervisor and ask WTF ? They tell me to call if he comes into my area, which I will do. Monday I will get a restraining order and get some legal representation.

I have a concealed carry permit and a totally clean record. My neighbor has a permit as well. I have a case number and the police Dept will forward the case to the district attorney. Anything else that I can do ?

First mistake was getting the police involved. Handle your own business. The "authorities" always make things worse, and "the system" takes forever. Trust me I know after dealing with scumbag cops and prosecutors before after over three years on a bogus trial in a kangaroo court that I won.

Why would your neighbor park his motorcycle in front of your shed and why would he just draw his gun on you if you had none of the firearms you were carrying exposed and in cases or boxes. How long has he been your neighbor. Why does he have a problem with you specifically?

Been neighbors two and a half years . He has been here 16 years and believes he has the right to encroach on my area. I don't deal with him because he is unhinged. He has stated repeatedly that he knows "all the law enforcement in the town" and therefore I have no recourse in his opinion. He doesn't like me since I am not I am willing to stand my ground.

Good advice. I think I would rather make them move though. I don't think the owner wants tenants like that.
Unless it's really "worth it" I would start looking for a new place to live. The guy if all is as you said here, got some serious problems with his self control. Someone who would do what he is claimed to have done here is NOT a one of. He will be a problem again. You could get a protection order, if you do not want to move may be worth doing so. Good chance this is going to set him off all over too. Again assuming this is rental the "best solution" would be move.

Been neighbors two and a half years . He has been here 16 years and believes he has the right to encroach on my area. I don't deal with him because he is unhinged. He has stated repeatedly that he knows "all the law enforcement in the town" and therefore I have no recourse in his opinion. He doesn't like me since I am not I am willing to stand my ground.

As you should, but sounds to me he seems like a hot-head with entitlement issues. Tell you what I did to catch my old scumbag landlords trying to break into my house I was renting while I was at work...I installed a security camera system and also recorded all our interactions. They stopped their BS immediately. Always good to amass enough evidence in case you do have to take this to some sort of court. Be safe.

True . The land lord is already making my neighbor do several things that he was wildly yelling about not doing. I think they may not be to pleased with him either. For instance the motorcycle will be gone soon.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone who pulls a gun should forfeit his concealed carry permit ? I know I don't pull mine on someone else's doorstep.

I don't think it's a mistake to contact the police, in an instance like this. On the contrary I think it's absolutely necessary, to cover yourself. Anytime a weapon has been drawn, you are far and ahead better off to be the first one to contact the police, to get it on the record that you are the victim. Not necessarily to even expect them to do anything, but if something ever escalates, it's on record.

I'm with the others though; I'd avoid the guy at all costs, and probably just move if possible. I was given good advice a long time ago, and it pertains equally well to women, other drivers, and wacky neighbors: "Stay away from crazy."

Am I wrong in thinking that someone who pulls a gun should forfeit his concealed carry permit ?

I would sure think so. I'm pretty sure that drawing on someone without justification is absolutely grounds to have your permit pulled. I knew a guy years ago who drew on a couple guys who were threatening to beat him up, and he got his pulled because they said he could have avoided the situation (and they might have been right).

Great advice and reply. The police supervisor did know him. It may be that he has had previous incidents. So I hope this results in the County Attorney recommending forfeit of license.

I absolutely hate situations like this. The stakes are VERY high, and now you are roped into a game you must play. The first to report is generally the "victim" and that makes all the difference. So as much as I absolutely hate getting law enforcement involved and a restraining order, that's the game you have to play. A restraining order is going to get ugly, and you might also expect to have one served on you. That or "red flag" (not sure if they have them there) is going to likely disarm you.

But this isn't going to likely end well. Tread carefully b/c I predict someone in jail, or disarmed, or sued, or dead. You should move as soon as possible.

Highly recommend immediately installing security cameras in all directions and covering all angles and your vehicle, shed, etc. If you have pets, monitor them. Your dogs and cats may end up missing or dead, poisoned, whatever. Property may be destroyed or stolen.

I would highly recommend moving as soon as possible. See if you can break your lease without penalty given the lethal threat, making it uninhabitable. Be out next week if possible. You might - thru an intermediary like your landlord - get an agreement with the other person neither of you is pursuing legal action and you are moving. All peaceful like so no headaches for anyone.

I've seen and personally experienced so much of this it's horrible to be involved in it. 20 years ago I was living in a formerly nice middle class neighborhood that experienced - let's just say an infestation of lower class folks who listen to loud music in their cars all day and night, sell drugs, etc.. The demographics changed overnight and property values dropped like a stone. One day my girlfriend came over and some young men working on a car on blocks next door cat called her. I yelled at them from my front yard, and I immediately had 3 or 4 very "colorful" men in my face in my front yard and one pulled a knife on me. If I had been armed I'd have had several corpses in my front yard. Luckily it was just tough talk on their part. I moved away days later.

True . The land lord is already making my neighbor do several things that he was wildly yelling about not doing. I think they may not be to pleased with him either. For instance the motorcycle will be gone soon.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone who pulls a gun should forfeit his concealed carry permit ? I know I don't pull mine on someone else's doorstep.

You are not wrong. But if the guy is enough of a threat to get a restraining order, he's enough of a threat to move out. It's just a rental so the hassle factor will be minimal and moving would comply with the "don't go to stupid places at stupid times with stupid people" rule. It sucks that the stupid place is your current home, that the stupid times are "always" and the stupid person is your neighbor, but that suckage doesn't invalidate the rule.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads