JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you were going to buy a gun, and a local store is asking $419 , but a store 40miles away is asking $380, would you ask the local store to get the price a little closer to the lower price?

If you were going to buy a gun, and a local store is asking $419 , but a store 40miles away is asking $380, would you ask the local store to get the price a little closer to the lower price?

Sure why not. Tell him you would rather support him and buy locally but it has to be close at least or you will have to make the trip

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it never hurts to try. I wouldn't be opposed to paying the higher price if they'll throw in a holster or a bunch of ammo.

I used to think that the worst a dealer could say was no. Now I know better: Worse yet is this: "You are right; the gun is not priced correctly. Instead of asking $419 for it, I should be asking $459. Thanks for pointing it out."

Still, it never hurts to ask. I've saved money over the years by asking dealers if that was the best they could do on the price.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it never hurts to try. I wouldn't be opposed to paying the higher price if they'll throw in a holster or a bunch of ammo.

That's always a good tack to take. If the dealer won't budge on the price, ask if perhaps you can get a spare mag, holster, ammo, etc. Or perhaps a one-time discount on ammo for it.

The worst that can happen is that he'll say no. And if he does, so be it - I certainly respect anyone's right to sell their merchandise at the price they choose. The more expensive dealer might be in a higher-rent district, might have to pay a higher business license, might have more expensive insurance, etc.

The high end dealer has a very nice shop/range and caters to clientele that doesn't think about the price. Maybe showing up with cash in hand will help.

As the others say: He can say yes or no. He can't shoot you-it ain't legal! I've won a few and lost a few but I will ask. Sometimes at pawn shops they may have a price listed of, say, $200. I have offered $150 and had them say: "Yes". I've purchased firearms and musical instruments that way before. But, ya gotta ask!

As the others say: He can say yes or no. He can't shoot you-it ain't legal! I've won a few and lost a few but I will ask. Sometimes at pawn shops they may have a price listed of, say, $200. I have offered $150 and had them say: "Yes". I've purchased firearms and musical instruments that way before. But, ya gotta ask!

ASK, every time! Pawn shops or little pop shops, just ASK! And have cash in hand, not plastic or don't say ok, I"ll be back with the cash. Heck I got an extra 10% off of my gun safe at Wal-Mart by just asking if that's the best he could do!

REMEMBER! The person asking the questions in a transaction is always dealing from a position of strength. Put yourself in an offensive position as soon as possible by asking something like "What is your best price on this rifle?" You'd be amazed how quickly the price comes down. It took me a v e r y long time to learn this.

Keith

I always haggle, and usually succeed. I phrase it as politely as possible, "I mean no offence, I want it but I only want to pay xxx.xx. Do you have any room to move on your price? Or to sweeten the deal so I feel better about it?" They don't get upset. The worst they can say is no, and they are quite accustomed to hagglers. They usually DO HAVE room to move......................elsullo :D

I've been in a number of negotiating classes, and I can tell you two reoccurring principles:

1) Always know your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement. (i.e., the highest/lowest you're willing to go before you begin negotiation)

2) If you're a buyer, _always_ ask, "What's the lowest you'll take for this?"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads