Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Negotiating gun prices?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by smithmax, Sep 17, 2009.

1. smithmax

smithmax here Member

If you were going to buy a gun, and a local store is asking $419 , but a store 40miles away is asking $380, would you ask the local store to get the price a little closer to the lower price?

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Sure why not?

3. hapuna

hapuna Seattle, WA Member

Sure why not. Tell him you would rather support him and buy locally but it has to be close at least or you will have to make the trip

4. smithmax

smithmax here Member

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it never hurts to try. I wouldn't be opposed to paying the higher price if they'll throw in a holster or a bunch of ammo.

5. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I used to think that the worst a dealer could say was no. Now I know better: Worse yet is this: "You are right; the gun is not priced correctly. Instead of asking $419 for it, I should be asking $459. Thanks for pointing it out."

Still, it never hurts to ask. I've saved money over the years by asking dealers if that was the best they could do on the price.

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

How is any of this going to save me any money on my car insurance?

7. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

That's always a good tack to take. If the dealer won't budge on the price, ask if perhaps you can get a spare mag, holster, ammo, etc. Or perhaps a one-time discount on ammo for it.

The worst that can happen is that he'll say no. And if he does, so be it - I certainly respect anyone's right to sell their merchandise at the price they choose. The more expensive dealer might be in a higher-rent district, might have to pay a higher business license, might have more expensive insurance, etc.

8. smithmax

smithmax here Member

The high end dealer has a very nice shop/range and caters to clientele that doesn't think about the price. Maybe showing up with cash in hand will help.

9. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

As the others say: He can say yes or no. He can't shoot you-it ain't legal! I've won a few and lost a few but I will ask. Sometimes at pawn shops they may have a price listed of, say, $200. I have offered $150 and had them say: "Yes". I've purchased firearms and musical instruments that way before. But, ya gotta ask!

10. billc

billc Albany Member

ASK, every time! Pawn shops or little pop shops, just ASK! And have cash in hand, not plastic or don't say ok, I"ll be back with the cash. Heck I got an extra 10% off of my gun safe at Wal-Mart by just asking if that's the best he could do!

11. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

REMEMBER! The person asking the questions in a transaction is always dealing from a position of strength. Put yourself in an offensive position as soon as possible by asking something like "What is your best price on this rifle?" You'd be amazed how quickly the price comes down. It took me a v e r y long time to learn this.

Keith

12. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I always haggle, and usually succeed. I phrase it as politely as possible, "I mean no offence, I want it but I only want to pay xxx.xx. Do you have any room to move on your price? Or to sweeten the deal so I feel better about it?" They don't get upset. The worst they can say is no, and they are quite accustomed to hagglers. They usually DO HAVE room to move......................elsullo :D

13. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

I've been in a number of negotiating classes, and I can tell you two reoccurring principles:

1) Always know your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement. (i.e., the highest/lowest you're willing to go before you begin negotiation)

2) If you're a buyer, _always_ ask, "What's the lowest you'll take for this?"

14. smithmax

smithmax here Member

It will cost about $15 to drive to the other store, so if the local one can at least get that close I'll be happy.