JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys,

I have a Hi-Point that I need to send in for repair. I called the factory and got the authorization. They told me to send it via USPS priority mail and mark it as "Machine Parts."

Everything I have read has told me not to do this, however Hi-Point has reassured me this is their normal protocol.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

SHP

Unless you have a FFL you would be breaking the law. You can send it yourself via UPS or Fed Ex but you are supposed to tell em it's a firearm and it must ship overnight(their regs, not law). Look foward to spending about $65 to ship it yourself. If you bought the gun from a local FFL, try asking them to send it via USPS for you for cost only. Many dealers will do similar if you bought a bum gun from their shop.

I wouldn't go the USPS route unless you want to risk prosecution by the postal inspectors - they have the highest conviction rate of any LE organization in the country. If you go to the Hi Point website they have a dealer locator tab - call the dealers closest to you and see if they will ship it for you for a reasonable fee or go with FedEx/UPS as suggested above.

I wouldn't do it either. You would be breaking Federal Law. It is up to you if you want to see what happens if you get caught breaking Federal Laws. I don't know what the odds of getting caught are, I know people do it all the time. I know the little extra cost up front will be WAY less then if I get caught.

<broken link removed> This is for UNLICENSED people, click the link to read the whole thing.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Needs to go via UPS or FEDEX overnight, which probably is not worth it.

Assuming it's fairly new, I would ask the shop you bought it at to send it back for you they can send it USPS Priority.

I'm wondering why you would bother sending this gun anywhere but to one of those buy back deals?

Why would anyone buy one of these?

But your question has good merit and has had some great responses for people with guns worthy of being shipped and fixed.

Just sayin'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads