JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok guys,

I've read two reloading books. Picked up some RCBS Carb dies for two different loads I want to load (9mm & .40 SW)...I'll slowly get the components needed to start reloading.

A couple of questions come to mind right off....

The books state "not" to substitute ingredients (case, primer, powder, & bullet).
Example 9mm Luger:
Case – Federal
Primer – CCI 500
Primer size – Small pistol
Powder – XXXXX

So if I cannot find a specific primer brand or case brand I can't use another brand?

What if I don't have "Federal" cases....I may have Winchester, Magtech, Remington...is it a big difference if I use a different case for reloading?

From my reading it appears it is very important to match bullet weight to powder load...that much I understand. I get the point that I need to use suggested powder grains and not to exceed Max load grains.

Second major question.

I picked up a "3 die sets" yesterday for my 9mm and .40SW. Don't really understand yet what each does (in the loading process) and there wasn't any real explanation in the directions...maybe I'm getting old! I imagine I'll learn as I keep reading but will I need any add'l dies for reloading?

At the store I saw boxes marked "Group A" and "Group B". The salesmen couldn't answer my questions....so what's the diffence?

Thanks guys....hate to keep asking....but I want to learn the right and safe way of reloading.

I am just getting into reloading and watched a couple hrs of youtube vids last night and learned a ton. Go to youtube.com. and search for "reloading for beginners" and "handgun reloading". A guy named shuttersandtriggers has a 4 part vid that was decent and another guy named hickock45 has a bunch and has been reloading since'73. Both explain all the dies, function and setting them up.
I know there is no substitute for hands on knowledge but these gave me a very good crash course in how to start and already ordered the ABC and Lyman 49th books to get started.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads