JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone here have a idea or can recommend somebody or company that can build a ramp for wheelchair access into my home?

I don't have the skills or tools to do it myself and I just have one step plus small raised entry to my front door.
Wife had a below knee amputation (still could be above knee I'll know Wednesday) so after a care facility stay I need these ramps and need quality built for safety.

Thanks for any helpful info.
Mark

This is my old friend's business, he really loves woodworking and knows his stuff. I know he does decks and fences, so he may do a ramp.

-Robert

Make sure everything is done to code, and to ADA standards, the state is REALLY strict about such things regarding wheelchair ramps and other access standards! I can put you in contact with a contractor who specializes in such things and is ADA compliant! If I were closer, I could build/assist with this happily!

@Midasknight I had the same problem when caring for my mother when she was old and bed ridden. And the situation was more complicated, as it was two steps of different sizes and shapes that separated the front hall from the driveway.

I bought a 1" thick 4' by 8' piece of plywood. A friend with the right sort of power saw cut the upper end to match the circular shape of the lower stair. A few concrete blocks were placed strategically underneath the plywood to add support. With ordinary shaped stairs the fancy cut would have been unnecessary. We used the full 8' length. Its a lot easier getting a wheelchair up and down the ramp if the ramp is gradual. I also suggest using the full 4' width so the person using or pushing the wheelchair has plenty of width. I cut a length of carpet to fit the ramp and nailed it on so the ramp would be aesthetically pleasing and give better purchase for wheelchair tires. That's all it took. The only reason I needed to cut the plywood at all is because of the weird broad shape of one of the stairs. I think all you would need is the plywood, concrete blocks, carpet remnant of the right size, nails to attach carpet, and a hammer. Often carpet remnants from building a house are kept by original builder of house and stored in garage or attic. If you don't have any you can buy from a carpet store.

I don't know whether my ramp is ADA compliant. Or whether it needs to be when it is a temporary structure separable from the house rather than a modification of the house such as something built from concrete. Mine has held up fine for about 25 years now. I like it so much I kept it in place after my mother passed away. A sturdy ramp is a lot easier to use than stairs. Especially weird shaped stairs.

Last Edited:
The ramp will be more aesthetically pleasing if it comes away from house at an angle rather than being perpendicular to wall of house or parallel to any other nearby elements such as edges of porch or driveway. Fact is, its difficult to make the edges of the ramp exactly parallel with, say, the edge of the driveway. And when you try what you end up with is a ramp that looks like it should be parallel or perpendicular to something but isn't quite. Which the eye notices and find displeasing. I suggest you instead aim the ramp at an angle clearly very much not parallel, not 90 degrees, and not 45 degrees with respect to any other structures. My ramp departs the side of the house at about 70 degrees, delivering the wheelchair or walking person in the direct most path to where the car door is likely to be. If you follow this idea of angling the ramp you will need to cut one end. But it will take just an ordinary straight saw.

Sorry to hear about that I hope everything works out for you if somebody is willing to help you build a ramp maybe there's some Nwfa members that know how to do so I'll help build the ramp if I can get a ride let me know!

A wheelchair that fits your wife perfectly and has good locking mechanisms will matter A lot. Hospitals and nursing homes often don't have the right size for the patient. You also want A chair that is comfortable to sit in for long periods as a chair, not one that is just comfortable enough to use getting from one ordinary chair to a another. locking mechanisms that are easy for the person in the chair to use are critical. And your wife and anyone wheeling the chair around should make a habit of always locking wheels when chair is not in motion. If wheels aren't locked, A fall is going to result when wife tries to get out of chair or you try to help her out of it.

Walkers also need to be the right size. Hospitals and nursing homes try to get patients walking as fast as possible for various reasons, some merely because if you can be claimed to be walking you can be discharged. I caught people trying to force my mother to walk with a walker that was much too big so she had to support her weight with her arm muscles. That is torture. Walkers need to fit so that the person supports herself largely by the bones of her arms. So arms need to be extended just right. Which happens only if walker is exactly the right height.

You'll need a wheelchair anyway. So you might as well get one sooner, while your wife is still in the hospital or nursing home so she will have the right size. Likewise for a walker if she needs one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top