JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The TAG meeting had a lot of attendance tonight. A few new 4x4 groups there now. Several folks mentioned they had missed our, (NWFA), presence for the last 3 meetings. It's because of my work and the drive time on Thursday nights. It is hard for me to get there sometimes. (That's why I was hoping for someone to help me out with these meetings). But I made it tonight and it was worth it.

Biggest issue of the night was about the upcoming clean up event "Pick Up The Burn". Scheduled for Sat, May 7th, 2016. Sign in is at 8 AM at Jones Creek Trail Head. This year will be a bigger than last year. There are more recreational groups and will be more promotions for the event.

Last year NWFA raised a donation of $300 toward the BBQ Lunch and Tread Lightly gave a grant of $500 towards lunch. This year, the Tread Lightly grant is for $1000!

We need to show up in force for this event. It's the big event of the year where all recreational groups come together and clean up the whole mountain in one day. Really a lot of fun, good people and good raffle prizes. We need to make a showing of at least 20 people (Oregon is welcome).

In another part of the meeting, I had the opportunity to talk about our clean up schedule and introduced the coming of our Target Shooter Information booth (with details of what it is and its purpose). I also talked a bit about the Tillamook shooting lane planning stages and the benefits of developing such lanes on public land.

Good meeting. Next meeting, last one before the "Pick Up The Burn" event, is Thurs, April 7th at 6 PM at the Dollars Corner Fire Station. If anyone would like to join me, send me a message or post here.

Cogs

Last Edited:
Next meeting, last one before the "Pick Up The Burn" event, is Thurs, April 7th at 6 PM at the Dollars Corner Fire Station. If anyone would like to join me, send me a message or post here.

Cogs

Our TAG meeting, with DNR, was cancelled for April 7th. It now has moved to this coming Thurs, April 14. Same 6 pm time, Same Dollars Corner Fire Station place. See the 1st post of this thread for a map to the meeting place.

This is where all recreational groups come together to discuss activities, developments and plans for recreational use in Yacolt Burn State Forest. It is really important for us to be well represented at these meetings. It's how we can make a positive difference for our kind of recreation.

Hope you can make it!

Good meeting tonight with DNR and the other Recreation groups.

I HAD COMPANY!!! @pietro beretta joined me at the meeting. Thank you! It was good to have a second set of eyes and ears. And we heard some good stuff too!

Pietro will not be able to commit to these meetings on a regular basis but I sure appreciate the special interest you showed by being there in support of recreational shooting on public land. Good spirit. Thanks!

Shooting is a hot topic for DNR lately. All over the state. They have had recent meetings (up North) and discussed several aspects of public land shooting. They have decided to address this issue throughout the state by holding 4 focus group meetings. One of those group meetings will be for Yacolt Burn State Forest. It will be in May and I will be there. This is not just the 'Burn' DNR, it's Olympia coming here to hear our needs and concerns. I'll start a new thread on this when I get more details. Soon.

The second half of the meeting was the final details of 'Pick Up The Burn' cleanup event, scheduled for May 7th. I will be starting an official NWFA event on that soon. Keep that date in mind because it's a big one and we need to hook up with event.

Again, Thanks, Pietro. It was a pleasure to meet you!

Cogs

I am glad I was able to attend, as I discovered getting involved is very important to keep our shooting sports viewed in a good light.

I had no idea how actively involved the community and DNR are up here. It's very cool and I intend to start walking some of these trails I heard about.

Meeting Minutes:

Timber Sales:

Some of the things reviewed were Timber Sales and what areas are effected:

West Kloochman:
  • Watch for Rock Trucks
Ricotta:
  • Logging break over summer
  • Jones creek - open ok to use
West Hagen Creek:
  • Done logging by end of month
Colby:
  • Active logging over summer
  • Should be open on weekends.

Future Timber Sales

Moonster - August 2016

• Tarbell
Provolone - March 2017
  • Jones Creek System
Stebbins - February 2017
  • Three Corner Rock Trail (unit 1,2,3)
Round Table Updates

Placing American Flags on signs has been reported to help reduce the frequency of signs being shot up by shooters.

Someone thought there may be a possibility that Tannerite was responsible for a tree stump fire.

Shooting is a hot topic for DNR lately. They have decided to address this issue throughout the state by holding 4 focus group meetings.

This is why we need your help representing NWFA and our shooting sport at these events. We have the opportunity to steer the discussion in a positive productive direction if we have additional support and input. A very nice lady in one of the 4x4 groups mentioned that we had her support.

'Pick Up The Burn' Cleanup Event

'Pick Up The Burn' cleanup event, scheduled for May 7th.

You will not need a discover pass for the Pick Up The Burn event, DNR ensured us that any one participating in the event will not receive a ticket.

Don't forget; 24 Hours of Volunteering with DNR will get you a free Discover Pass!

Some of the most active groups gather up to 50 people or more :eek:. Cogs, I believe you told me three people attended from NWFA last year?o_O A little embarrassing and I know we can represent better than that.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:00PM - 9:00PM

As Cogs mentioned, the outdoors community is represented here. These are horseback riders, 4x4er's, hikers, ect. There are some very enthusiastic and active groups, such as the Washington Trail Riders and the Back Country Horsemen. Without active representation in our shooting sports, we simply don't have a loud enough voice to get the ball rolling on infrastructure for our sport. I was told that the DNR said at one time there would never be 4x4s allowed on DNR land; with a loud enough voice and volunteer support that has changed.

Again, this is why we need your help and support representing NWFA at these events.

If you got this far, thanks for reading! :D

Attendance at tonight's TAG meeting was a little low. Must be summer time. Still had a good meeting. Heard from several rec groups and their involvement in trail projects. Timber sales reports, upcoming activities. I reported about our Adopt-A-Site program and how @TMitchell and I are checking in a few shooting sites. Also gave a plug for our upcoming cleanup on Sat June 18th.

We talked a bit about the DNR Corp meeting that was held last Tuesday evening. Several other recreation groups had also attended, so, we had a lively talk about that. They, also, were surprised that we were not discussing more about solutions, but seemed to be focused on identifying the concerns out there along with lots of talk about the mess and stray bullets. A few started to put up a fight thinking DNR was going to cut down, or out, target shooting. I guess they didn't read the info in their fliers.

Next meeting is the first Thursday in Aug.

I was able to attend the TAG meeting this evening (missed the Aug one). It's good to be up to date on activities going on in Yacolt Burn Forest. Trails being built, timber sales happening and how they effect recreation, current & upcoming DNR plans and to hear of activities from each of the various recreation groups.

I had the opportunity to share my Target Shooting brochure and it was very well received by all. Several wanted to print copies and hand out as they recreate and at their work parties on Larch. Pistons Wild may also print a large batch and have members carry with them.

Next meeting is 2 months from now, Thurs, Dec. 1 at 6pm. If you'd like to join me, you are welcome!

Cogs

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads