JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired my first AR15. Along with it, a Troy folding rear sight and Vortex SPARC red dot. My thinking is that the zeroing process would be best achieved at an indoor range. If this is true, do you have recommendations of where I might go in the Hillsboro/Beaverton/Portland area? Maybe I can do this outdoors. If so, what will I need to bring/construct for stabilization and accuracy?

Thanks so much for the help.

why indoor range? i've never even heard of an indoor range in the portland metro area that's open to centerfire rifles. i suggest going to an open range. the only range i shoot at is Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club... we're open to the public on the weekends. everything you need is there- sand bags, rifle stands, tables, target stands... just bring targets and a stapler.

what method you planning to use?

None of the indoor ranges in the whole Willamette Valley will let you shoot your AR at their facilities. Some will let you shoot pistol caliber centerfire rifles.

bkb0000"s suggestion to visit the Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club is a good one. Might also consider the English Pit just over the river in Washington.

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the Clatskanie Club won't be open to the public for the near future. I'll probably check out the English Pit. Maybe I'll even cut out of work early this week.

Look up and print out the 25-meter zeroing target. Do three round groups from 25-meters, and adjust your windage and elevation until you consistenty have a three round shot group within the small circle. This is a "battlesight zero" and will place the shot in the same spot at 250-meters (if you do your part).

tri county is another good one and that is fairly close to you; however the closest distance you can place the target would be 50 yards. but that should be fine. I just help a friend zero his new AR in at 50 and he went from shooting 15 inch groups to 1 inch groups in the matter of 8 to 10 rounds.

tri county is another good one and that is fairly close to you; however the closest distance you can place the target would be 50 yards. but that should be fine. I just help a friend zero his new AR in at 50 and he went from shooting 15 inch groups to 1 inch groups in the matter of 8 to 10 rounds.

a 50/200 zero is ideal for ARs.. the bullet never strays more than 2" from your POI from muzzle out to 250m. no hold-under.

i'm pretty sure- last i checked, which was a couple years ago, i should say- that TCGC doesn't have any open days, though... and $300 is a lot to fork over to zero your weapon.

Go to English Pit in Camas. That's where I go all the time. Great outdoor range and the people that works there are very helpful. I would help you zero your rifle if I happen to go. I already helped two people zero in their red dots on their ARs a few weeks ago. I believe it's about $17 all day and you can bring as many guns and ammo as you like.

I just had a friend mention TCGC today. From the looks of their site, full membership is the only option. I'll probably pass on that at this point. Maybe though.

I was thinking 100-meters at first and already have some rifle zero targets. At a minimum I was going to do the 25-meter zero. From the sounds of it, 50-meter might be ideal. I'm guessing I can use the targets I have for whatever distance.

The English Pit sounds like it's going to be the place. Depending on the weather, I'm likely hitting it sometime this week.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

I'll take you to TCGC as my guest. quite honestly I find it funny that anyone who has a gun and likes to shoot doesnt become a member. its like 120 bucks a year after your first year and you can shoot just about anything there.

pm me if you wanna take me up on the offer.

I just had a friend mention TCGC today. From the looks of their site, full membership is the only option. I'll probably pass on that at this point. Maybe though. He also said Clackamas allows the AR15 and was certain he saw someone shooting .223 rounds. I don't know what to believe at this point so a call to them is definitely needed.

I was thinking 100-meters at first and already have some rifle zero targets. At a minimum I was going to do the 25-meter zero. From the sounds of it, 50-meter might be ideal. I'm guessing I can use the targets I have for whatever distance.

The English Pit sounds like it's going to be the place. Depending on the weather, I'm likely hitting it sometime this week.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

I just had a friend mention TCGC today. From the looks of their site, full membership is the only option. I'll probably pass on that at this point. Maybe though. He also said Clackamas allows the AR15 and was certain he saw someone shooting .223 rounds. I don't know what to believe at this point so a call to them is definitely needed.
I'm pretty sure the only way you'd get to shoot an AR indoors there would be if it was chambered for 22LR or 9mm.

From their FAQ:
Q. What may I shoot at the PSTC public range?

The range is open to handguns, rimfire rifles and handgun-caliber rifles.
You must purchase and shoot our ammunition.
Ammunition availability will determine if you may or may not shoot unusual calibers.
All firearms are subject to approval by the range staff.​

Depends on whether you are shooting 55 grain M193 through a 1:12 twist barrel (M16A1) (zero with the L-marked rear sight for a 250 meter zero using the "unmarked" rear sight) or M855 62 grain through a 1:7 twist barrel (M16A2/M4) (300 meter zero).

Check out FM 23-9 (Rifle Marksmanship, especially the later versions) for instructions on M16A2, A3/A4, and M4 zeroing.

I find it best to get a rough zero at 25 meters, then refine that at actual distance of 300 (A2/M4). I have a Bushmaster AR15-E23 (M16A4 clone, 1:9 twist) for which I use this technique. It also works with my down-range M4, BUIS, and the NCStar Tactical scope that I put on both. (Remember to compute offsets for scopes at 25 meters.)

Red-dot optics can be zeroed at 25 meters, but it's still best to refine the zero at 200 or 300. Aimpoints & such, even though they are "rated" for 300 meters, are not much good beyond 200. Why they issued us M68 CCOs for Afghanistan (average engagement 150-400 meters) I will NEVER figure out.

My .02 :)

For all of you who are not members, or haven't been to Clark Rifles: Zeroing is done there on a specified range at 10 or 25 meters (range #1), under the watchful eye of a knowledgeable RSO. This is required for each rifle which you bring onto the facility, before you may use it on either the 100 yard or 300 yard ranges (ranges 2 and 4).

At English Pit, they take your money & turn you loose. Unless you come with someone knowledgeable or run across someone there to help, you are basically on your own. Clark County Sheriff's and Vancouver PD also tend to Coopt the range a lot.

You may want to wait until Sunday, go to Clark Rifles, and use their services.

After I return from Deployment (end of July), I will make myself available to help people figure out how to use the ARs that they have bought. (Former Marine, Army Infantry, Drill Sergeant, Marksmanship Instructor). I would eventually do this for money, but not starting out. I am a member at Clark Rifles.

In the meantime, there are many members of this forum who also could help, and who I'm sure would be willing if asked.

Clark Rifles sounds like a good spot for sure. I could have waited a day but I just saw your post now. Anyway, the English Pit was closer to me. The Pit was an interesting experience. You are definitely on your own there, but I tend to prefer that unless true professionals are assisting. With a little bit of time I was able to get both sight options dialed. I should have stayed a little longer and hit the 100 to make sure of my adjustments. There's always next time.

For everyone's SA ("Situational Awareness"): Clark Rifles limits itself to 700 members; takes in new members once a year (if you let your membership lapse - $100/per annum - then you compete with all the other new people trying to get in).

<broken link removed>

Cheers!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews