JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some odd factory loads, I want to find this powder... 9.0 grains in a 158 swc jacketed round, case head stamped S B 357 mag...powder is very dense, and silver in color, 9.0 grains was very little in volume in the case. WAS VERY HOT LOADS! I LIKED IT.. i want to know what powder this is to find some and load it.thanks

Your chances of finding that exact powder are slim, if it was stamped SB, that's sellier and bellot a european manufacturer, which has a completely different powder availability. Additionally, most big manufacturers use bulk powders that are formulated to their specifications, when you load a few billion rounds a year you get to do that.

However, based on the weight and specifics of the cartridge you gave me, I would guess it's probably fairly close to HS-6, I looked up some data from hodgdon, and here's the load:

158 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon HS-6 .357" 1.580" 8.0 1182 28,000 CUP 9.5 1375 41,900 CUP

If you want to be exact, you will have to work up the load yourself and double check it with the chronograph to verify velocity data.

AMP thanks, gives me a place to start, I have a few books, but without knowing a name, and no pictures of powders I was a bit lost... I am only a semi noob to reloading, I have a couple thousand rounds under my belt, but I am always looking for new and cleaner powders, and those loads were perfect, hot and fast, and they were so fast out the muzzel they dropped my poi(which had been hi) back to where it should have been!

Shoot a few of these rounds over a chronograph and determine the velocity. That will help in duplicating the load.

If you're having trouble duping the load with our traditional "US powders" take a look at Vihtavouri. There Finnish and their powder finds it's way into a lot of European ammo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top