JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short.
I have O/U shotgun that barrels needs to cut down to 24'' and new threading to fit choke tubes.
I need gun smith who know what to do and price friendly. I did check some gunsmith in my area but they work only on Glock AR AK etc.
Thanks

WOW that's going to be quite the challenge. Since the barrels can not be put into a lathe for the choke cut and threading without being unsoldered. I have heard some real horror stories over the years about guys who took double barrel shotguns apart and tried to reassemble them. The other option to do this would be have the gunsmith build a jig that held the barrels on center on the lathe and then allowed the barrels to move in and out towards the head stock using a reamer ($$$$ unless the gunsmith already had the reamer) allowing the cut to be made. Again very expensive for all the time it would take to fabricate a jig to do the work + tooling and time.

I think it would cost more then the gun is worth (especially since any collector value would be ruined by the work).

I have done this, on a personal shotgun. Used a large angle plate mounted to the table on my mill. Mounted the barrel so it hangs down towards the floor. It took me hours to get the thing dialed in and shimmed. But I was able to ream in the new chokes and tap it no problem.

I have done this job before on single barrel shotguns and to find someone to do it on a double bbl for cheap will be difficult. Might be cheaper to go find a used 870. Mark is right about double barrel reassembly (especially with internal hammers), I took one apart in my shop and vowed never to do it again. I know other gunsmiths who charge a minimum 2 bills to do so.

Its not really that hard. It can be easily done by hand with the proper pilots and lots of patience. I have done it in school.
I don't have the reamer and taps though or I would do it. They are a little on the expensive side to invest in for one request a year.
I work on anything and if I thought I would be doing more of them I would go ahead and buy them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top