JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a ruger sp101 for a great price recently. Only issue is the original owner cut the hammer spur off. I have been unable to find a replacement hammer so I contacted Ruger directly. They said they don't sell the hammer because it requires fitting. I asked what it would cost to have them replace the hammer. I was shocked at the price and to top it off it would cost about $80 just to ship it to them. Does anyone know where I can find a hammer or a decent gunsmith who can replace the hammer for me and won't charge me the price of a new revolver? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brownell's has them for $28.00

t_780001280_1.jpg
Hammer, Stripped

Mfr Part: KMVQ040012

I appreciate the attempt but that is a vaquero hammer and will not work on a sp101. I have contacted brownells and they told me that Ruger does not sell them sp101 hammers. I might be SOL

I checked Numrich and they listed a spur less hammer for 23 bucks but it was out of stock. Either way that's not much help. Never mind.

Ruger considers many of their parts "restricted". If they leave them as that, they they won't sell them outside the factory fitting ship. The only way you'll find one is to get one that has been stripped off a parts gun. Sadly (or happily if you own one), not too many sp101's die prematurely.

Your best bet is to watch eBay. Other than that, it would be sell it and buy another sp101 or send it to Ruger. Sorry.

Ruger considers many of their parts "restricted". If they leave them as that, they they won't sell them outside the factory fitting ship. The only way you'll find one is to get one that has been stripped off a parts gun. Sadly (or happily if you own one), not too many sp101's die prematurely.

Your best bet is to watch eBay. Other than that, it would be sell it and buy another sp101 or send it to Ruger. Sorry.
Or buy that hammer for the Vaquero, cut the spur and weld to to the bobbed SP101 hammer. It might not be factory pretty but it will get you your hammer spur back. Yes, I know, I'm no purist (but all my cr@p works).

I've got a Ruger Security Six hammer sitting in front of me on my desk and it's yours if you want to have it.
It's not the same profile as an SP101, but you'll have a custom spur that nobody else has.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the info MountainBear. I might have gotten an issue I will have to pay dearly for.

Sadly and stupidly (on ruger's part, not yours), yes. There are other solutions, as have been mentioned here, such as cutting and welding. But unless prepared to do the work yourself, the time will get fairly expensive on a gunsmith's bench. Good luck!

@MountainBear is right, Ruger is stupid about some parts. They regard certain parts as "restricted", such as the trigger group of any Mini series rifle. That was fun when we had a customer who had "somehow" shot off the trigger of his Mini. I think it's a leftover from when the old man controlled the company, hopefully they will let up at some point.

Did you get your hammer?
Not 100 % sure but I think I have one when I bought a collection of SP101 parts from ebay a couple months ago.
I will look in my box of parts anyways. Let me know if need one
penguinn..... new member - 1st post

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews