JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am headed to Canada to bear hunt this spring. I will be taking my .338 Win Mag and I am looking for the best combination to ensure that my bear doesn't go far. Preferably it drops in its tracks!
My shot placement is good, but I have been watching footage including excellent shot placement and have discovered that they like to run, and seem to have a hard time expiring!
Any thoughts?
The reloads we have worked through have been a variety: Speer, Nosler Accubond, and Hornady bullets in weights from 200 to 225 grain. I have had great success with these on elk and deer with little to no tracking necessary. I have also had good success with factory Remington Core Locks.
This hunt is a pricey one and I want to bring my bear home, not just have my tag punched on a wounded bear that wasn't recovered.

They are indeed tough!!

My bear this summer took 4 well placed broadside shots of Hornaday 300 WinMag180 GR SST Superformance. I could have spared the last two, but I don't quit shooting until my quarry is immobilized.

My guide, Sean Lingl, advised me to NEVER take an oncoming shot, as the prowlike brisket is very likely to deflect bullets into the armpit instead of the vitals.

He also advised me to shoot the front shoulder to immobilize the bear and allow follow up shots if needed. This goes against my training and habits as a meat hunter who always aims to hit the vitals slightly behind the front shoulder.

Where are you hunting and with whom? I was on Vancouver Island and the bear population is amazing there.

You could always use one of these
<broken link removed>
Rpg-7.jpg

Just carry two large plastic bags. One for the meat and the other for pieces of "hide".

:cool::cool::s0155::s0155:

living in Alaska for more then 25 years.
the .338 combo that I have seen taken more bears was with Nosler and Barnes. Hornoday sometimes.
Swift and Seirra tend to break apart!

Love the .338 winmag. Mostly all I hunted with in Alaska.

With all the gun melee going on it may be easier to get one of these cool pea shooters into Canada. I am not shooting something as powerful as the media says (ar15) but it is black so that should scare my food source into dropping in its tracks for my harvest.

Looking into a better quality bullet to help with the harvest. My hunt is in Alberta with South Peace Outfitters. I am also taking my bow to attempt to harvest my second bear with. After watching the numerous videos where they just run off, it seems strange/stupid/brave to poke a beast that tough with a twig (can't even really call it a stick) without my side arm/half inch hole punch. As a meat hunter I feel like taking out a leg is wasteful but this is not just a meat hunting trip. At the cost, if it was just about the meat and not also about the experience with my wife and a memorable hunt, I would stay home and outfit with a new gun for every day of the local spring season instead. Hopefully I can still hunt the local Spring season too, with luck my local taxidermist will be able to put food on his table also.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top