JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I am a pretty good shot, but want to take it to the next level. When I shoot at distances of greater than 25 feet I can't keep the front sight and the target in focus at the same time. It's frustrating. I have my sight perfectly in line, but the target is totally blurred out. On the other hand I see the target clearly, but not the sights.

Do you guys just learn to keep the sights in perfect alignment and focus on the target, or what? Really want to get better is why I am asking.

Ok, so I am a pretty good shot, but want to take it to the next level. When I shoot at distances of greater than 25 feet I can't keep the front sight and the target in focus at the same time. It's frustrating. I have my sight perfectly in line, but the target is totally blurred out. On the other hand I see the target clearly, but not the sights.

Do you guys just learn to keep the sights in perfect alignment and focus on the target, or what? Really want to get better is why I am asking.

This might sound sarcastic, but it's not intended to be. Maybe you should see an eye doctor? Are you shooting indoors or out? Sometimes my eyes will bug out on me around 50 feet indoors, but I think it is a lighting problem.

It's just that the target I was shooting at was two inches across, and at that distance I couldn't even see it if I focused on the sites. And if I focused on the sites, I couldn't see the target. So how do those guys on the gun shows do it?

Have you considered a laser? I didn't think much of them at first but am now a proponent of them. They allow you to focus on the target at all times. It is also a great training tool in that it shows you how much your gun is moving. I have lasergrips on my defense handguns and a light laser combo on my shotgun. It takes a while to get used to, but my eyes are getting old along with the rest of me and I'm having the same issue you are. Same reason I use an Aimpoint instead of iron sights on the M4... If lasers aren't your thing stick to the front sight-press rule. A cheap way to try out a laser is tape/mount a cheap keychain laser onto your pistol and do some dry fire drills to get used to the idea of looking at the target and adjusting your grip or stance to aim the laser instead of aligning sights. I am not paid by Crimson Trace although I wish I was.... :)

A quick vid from Michael Bane who does get paid by....
http://www.youtube.com/user/LaserAlpha#p/a/u/2/Tlnp487BY_0

I am not an instructor but I have had some shooting instruction. Your focus is always on the front sight. Rear site and target will be blurry. You want a clear front sight, properly aligned with the rear sight on a blurry target. As you squeeze the trigger you will know exactly where you shot because you will know exactly where that clear front sight was when the gun goes bang.
I cannot comment on keeping both eyes open because I have had no instruction on that. I have worn an eye patch to keep my eyes from straining. Good luck,
Mike

Your vision is much better then my own Phillfan. I suggest that you experiment with using a set of shooting glasses and either a store-bought, or a home-made diopter on them. A correctly sized and positioned diopter will sharpen both the sights and the target.

What does something like that cost? I don't even know what a diopter is.

You might consider attending a Project Appleseed (Project Appleseed Home) weekend for some excellent marksmanship training. You may find the training to be very helpful. It's $70 for a weekend of excellent, basic rifle marksmanship training with some Revolutionary War history mixed in as a way of reminding us of our heritage. Just a suggestion. As a previous poster pointed out, your objective is to focus on the front sight. It is impossible for your eye to focus on more than one object at the same time.

Phillyfan,
There is a cure for your problem, but it is going to take some work. Ogre has the right idea. First you need to start shooting with both eyes open. Next get a stick-on magnifier (<broken link removed>) and use it on the dominant vision side of your shooting glasses. This will give you clear focus on the front sight as well as the target. It will take a while to get used to but it does work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top