Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions on buying Ski equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DinhRose, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Last time i was on skis was 18+ years ago. I just got into boarding instead. I wanted to try out skiing again but have no either what a good beginner set of ski should have. I am 5'8" and 160 lbs. General sizing chart suggested skis from 160cm to 180cm so i don't know what i should get? Brand and length suggestions?

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That's about the last time I skied too but if you are renting I would recommend tuning up with some shorter skis before diving into longer skis.

3. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Save time....go straight to an inflatable cast...... :D

4. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I've found that sizing charts based on weight worked beeter than sizing charts based on height. I agree with Trlsmn about starting off shorter...they will be a bit slower. I don't have a brand preference, but the parabolic or "shaped" skis are easier to turn.

5. Bad Droid

Bad Droid Hillsbarrio Member

When I went back to skiing, I hit up good will. I grabbed everything for 50 bucks plus they had the older gear I was familiar with.
    Long skis truck, short shape skis suck. :)

6. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Yeah i just bought a set of k2 skis off of craigslist. They were 40 bucks and in awesome shape. It's so much more affordable than my snowboards.