Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need suggestions on buying Ski equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DinhRose, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Last time i was on skis was 18+ years ago. I just got into boarding instead. I wanted to try out skiing again but have no either what a good beginner set of ski should have. I am 5'8" and 160 lbs. General sizing chart suggested skis from 160cm to 180cm so i don't know what i should get? Brand and length suggestions?

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That's about the last time I skied too but if you are renting I would recommend tuning up with some shorter skis before diving into longer skis.

3. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Save time....go straight to an inflatable cast...... :D

4. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I've found that sizing charts based on weight worked beeter than sizing charts based on height. I agree with Trlsmn about starting off shorter...they will be a bit slower. I don't have a brand preference, but the parabolic or "shaped" skis are easier to turn.

5. Bad Droid

Bad Droid Hillsbarrio Member

When I went back to skiing, I hit up good will. I grabbed everything for 50 bucks plus they had the older gear I was familiar with.
    Long skis truck, short shape skis suck. :)

6. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Yeah i just bought a set of k2 skis off of craigslist. They were 40 bucks and in awesome shape. It's so much more affordable than my snowboards.