JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny enough, most of my suggestions have been covered, but I have put plenty of thought into this for my own similar circumstances. I'll post a few cheap alternatives that can be used without spending $1000 of that money at Thunder Ranch.

$20 Get Wasp Spray to keep by the front door and in your car. Wasp Spray
Good stuff, 27 foot jet of poison and the bad guys need to go to the hospital, but it won't kill, and is far more effective than mace or pepper spray. At $3 each, you can afford a few. ;)

$300 Next, go to a local shooting range where you can rent guns, and spend $300 or so renting guns and ammo; you'll still have plenty left over out of your $1500 budget for this.

$680 Get your trio of 20 gauge shotguns. I prefer the Mossberg (either 500 or Maverick) over the Remington 870, so does my wife, but TRY BOTH. Make your family shoot them at some point; they have to know what to expect. The Maverick can be had for $180 or so if you look, which makes it $200 or so after background check and other fees. Get $80 of ammo and you'll be set. PDX makes some NICE home defense shells.

Spend the last $500 for your .45, or get a 10/22 and mod it, or get a VMAC .45, or buy a shooting course, or get a replica pellet pistol for practice, or...

A nice alternative (keeping in mind the home defense AND anti-riot concept). Get a good AR pistol (consider the Stabilizing brace for one-handed shooting, but do NOT use it as a shoulder stock, since that is now clarified to be illegal), matching AR rifle, and one of those 20 gauge shotguns. For the Rifle, I would consider <broken link removed> for non-indoor defensive situations. They have a pretty sweet setup for it on one of their promotional posters, but I wouldn't use a huge drum mag like that until you had put at least a thousand rounds through it without a fail to feed.

I'm a fan of the Pistol Caliber Carbines in .45, such as Aero Survival Pistol ($800-1000 AR compatible), Marlin Camp Carbine ($700-1000, but uses the 1911 magazines you already have), even the Hi-point Carbine can be good ($300-400, but have it tuned up by a gunsmith and converted to use your 1911 magazines). All that said, I have handled these guns and like the handling and feel of all of them (especially the Marlin), but have not fired any of them, and my wife HATES shouldering the Hi-point because she's a lefty.

Oh, and that BerettaCX4 Storm looks pretty sweet, too bad it doesn't come in .45, right? :D

My ideal setup (which I am slowly working towards) is a suppressed 300 AAC Blackout SBR. I also have a 12ga mossy 500 and my m&p 40. Yes, with the shotgun you have multiple rounds flying downrange/hallway, but contrary to popular misconception, spread is pretty tight, especially at 7-15m. If you miss with buckshot, all you have accomplished is more drywall to patch later on if you survive your encounter. With a semi auto rifle like an AR, follow up shots are easy an literary the pull of a trigger away.

by the way, a few places have it for less
$553
<broken link removed>

Not quite apples to apples - the one I bought comes with (5) magazines, not the standard (2), that's almost another $100 in magazines, so I still think Botach is a better deal this time around. I'm assuming that .45 model you linked doesn't come with more than the standard (2) magazines at that price? It is a good price on that model though, to be sure.

Buy a magazine fed rifle in a battle rifle caliber. And then:

1) Put a red dot sight on it, along with Back up iron sights.
2) Equip it with a flashlight.
3) Put some sort of comfortable forward grip on it, and
4) If you think you need it (but really, you don't), put a laser on it for quick snap/point shooting.

This is what was on my rifle when I fought my way across Afghanistan for 14 months. This is truly all you will need to do anything to defend yourself with a rifle.

But the number one and two things you HAVE to do is pay for quality training and practice.

If you go with an SKS for whatever reason I'd stick with original fixed mag and stripper clips. I've tried steel duckbills 30 Rds and TApco....let's just say I wouldn't bet my life of that of my loved ones on the high cap mags. Ymmv. Otherwise SKS is viable inside 200 yards.
For me it's foraging rifle 1st battle rifle second after my evil black rifle.:cool:

Brutus Out

something like a 375 H&H, bolt action. if all you may get is one shot make it count, with as much noise, flash, smoke, and lead downrange.
If you are worried about hurting some neighbor, the odds are pretty slim. Like being struck by lightning during an attack by a great white shark.
Right now I have a steyr M95 in 8x56r in the corner. 205 grain bullet, 2500 fps, 2500 ft lbs of energy (roughly). It'll hit a 9" pie tin at 200 yards with iron sights. kicks like a mule and loud as hell.

I would think about a Kel-Tec sub2000 in 9mm that takes Glock magazines. for $1500 you could get the gun, 10 mags, 1000 rounds and still have $500 left over. Then you have a small, easily concealable, light to carry, no kick, shoot one handed if you have to, carbine. That takes the most common handgun magazine out there and shoots the most common handgun round.
Now you have started something... heard there are a few reliability issues. Do you have a KelTec s2000? I'd be interested to learn more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top